Work Permit Not Working

Norville Rogers

Has a pure Manx person ever been refused permission to work in England or the EU? Are checks made or is it presumed that the Manx are OK to to work in these other countries?

If you're Manx (have the Manx stamp in a British passport) then you don't need permission to reside or work in the UK, also I think I right in saying that after 5 year's residence in the UK you're considered to be a UK citizen and can work in the EU without requiring a visa.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some protection would be nice, so we get to exist in the future after the proposed population increase we`ll be about a third of the population, long term that`s us pretty much done and dusted.

You seem very insecure.

You might be if your people were about to cease to exist.

Being 'manx' is just an accident of birth. Not being bright enough to get a job on your own island of birth isn't. If the island is to survive it needs intelligent, educated entrepreneurs here to push the island forward, regardless of their accident of birthplace.

No problem with skilled people or entrepreneurs coming in, it`s that 15,000 touted number that I`m worried about and who gets in along with them.

Pure Manx passport holders have certainly been refused work rights in France.

And have certainly been told they need to go home for operations etc. how come people coming here from the EU and beyond get free medical cover?

The can now apply for work permits by E-mail part sounds ominous - are they even going to bother checking for any criminal convictions?

Or can we expect things like this to happen -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173553/Six-members-Asian-sex-gang-facing-jail-convicted-abusing-girl-groomed-shopped-Woolworths-aged-12.html

- seems to be happening in every town and city in England, why would we be immune.

- And yes it` the Mail - sorry I had to, I`ve just heard the BBC version of events - 6 men arrested for sex abuse - no pics, no mention of anything else.

-

I bet the Isle of Man is a net exporter of people.

Quite possibly, but you can bet any other country they go to will have a majority indigenous population.

Populations aren't as easy to define as you would have it. Perhaps you should ban emigration.

Has a pure Manx person ever been refused permission to work in England or the EU? Are checks made or is it presumed that the Manx are OK to to work in these other countries?

If you're Manx (have the Manx stamp in a British passport) then you don't need permission to reside or work in the UK, also I think I right in saying that after 5 year's residence in the UK you're considered to be a UK citizen and can work in the EU without requiring a visa.

Correct the last time I looked but it said "five years ordinarily resident"...and which has certain qualifications not being a straightforward statement..ie "ordinarily"

I bet the Isle of Man is a net exporter of people.

Quite possibly, but you can bet any other country they go to will have a majority indigenous population.

Populations aren't as easy to define as you would have it. Perhaps you should ban emigration.

How about a sane balance?, where people coming in are being checked for previous convictions and making sure there are vacancies in the job market for them and houses before they come and if they do commit a crime over here are deported automatically after prison and banished forever.

How about a sane balance?, where people coming in are being checked for previous convictions and making sure there are vacancies in the job market for them and houses before they come and if they do commit a crime over here are deported automatically after prison and banished forever.

I don't see that saving your people, although it's probably a better indication of your real gripe.

Most of the so called 'true Manx' who rant on the forum don't have the islander status stamp on their passport.

I.e they are the children or grandchildren of comeovers anyway.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

Most of the so called 'true Manx' who rant on the forum don't have the islander status stamp on their passport.

I.e they are the children or grandchildren of comeovers anyway.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

I do have islander status if it matters

Pure Manx passport holders have certainly been refused work rights in France.

There is no such thing as a Manx Passport...They are all British Islands passports..I have one and I am not Manx save for a Gt Gt Grandmother born in Castletown in 1815 and she "emigrated" to Liverpool although she did come back to retire in Ramsey!

The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands agreed to this "no right of Establishment" situation and "that stamp" when Protocol 3 was negotiated. ...However, I believe it simply means that there is no automatic right of Establishment. You can apply just as people coming to the Island can apply for Work Permits...Just no automatic entitlement. I know Manx people who have been allowed to work, buy houses, run businesses and be directors in France...But they had to apply for Establishment!

The missing factor would so far as I am aware appear to be that people from UK and EU generally can live in the Island but not necessarily work if they have the right of abode in the UK...

It is this ever dwindling number of people with British Islands passports bearing the "no right of Establishment" stamp who appear not to have their EU counterparts?...Seems like it!

But the number of people (with what is it, self and "x" grandparent (s) born, registered, naturalised or adopted in the Island? Whatever it is!) who have "that stamp" is shrinking so before long it will not even be an issue..Once it was 14,700 people with "that stamp" but it is less than half that now I believe, anyone know? I heard 5,000?

The British Islands IOM and CI as they came to be known did not want to be part of the single market for the free movement of people, capital and services...Hence "that stamp" Your choice! You did it! .

The return match was that the Island could keep work permits.

This was the payoff. How you amend your own work permit legislation and/or allow people from afar to avail themselves of your own NHS is down to you and nothing to do with directives from "Europe" as such although you did agree to Protocol 3 stipulations regarding "discrimination" ie you cannot pick and choose for and or against an EU member state nationals. Look it up I am just going from memory!

Way back in the early 1990s the UK person responsible in Westminster for the Isle of Man said that as the years roll by the UK would find the Island's position as near as dammit an offshore county with privileges to be increasingly indefensible..

The work permit system was cited as a major fact at that time...

Well, if the ever dwindling number of people with that "No right of Establishment" stamp in their passports continues to fall then the original purpose of that aspect of Protocol 3 begins to fail and thus the contentious work permit ussue can be steadily watered down such that eventually it is phased out altogether ...at least in terms of effectiveness and relevance...Maybe this process of evolution is what you are now witnessing?

I don't see that saving your people, although it's probably a better indication of your real gripe.

Crime? - partly is a worry.

Archived