There's a Boat in the Morning - If you've got a Passport

Rhumsaa

Who checks the id? I assume that it will be the SP employee who checks the id against the booking on their system and thus verifies that the passenger is who they say they are when they booked. Doesn't that just bring the ferry into line with what happens for the plane?

What interests me more is what happens to the data that's collected. I wouldn't be comfortable with all passenger lists being routinely passed to government, but I wouldn't have a problem at all with the police or security service being able to enquire to the SP or to the airline about a specific person. In other words, the data ought not to be available for fishing.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stena Line:

British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland but are advised to take a form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or utility bill will usually suffice. A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings.

So there is no real enforcement then, just a token half-measure. The type the island goes for every time.

Well there is. They are saying you need photo ID but it doesn't necessarily have to be a passport.

This will lead to a drop in tourists and travellers.

"Where do you fancy this year Gracie...a week in the Lake District or a week in the Isle of Man? Lake District 40 quid in petrol. Or the Isle of Man where on the way you'll be ID checked, and some yellow jacket will search in your knickers, let a middle eastern guy with a rucksack ahead of you in the queue through, because they don't want to be seen racially profiling, and we'll have to buy you a passport for 150 quid on top of the 300 quid fare and 40 quid in petrol?"

So, you think a genuine potential holiday maker won't travel to the isle of man because they need to show some ID? Really?

Very few people these days don't have some form of photo ID. And for those that don't then they'll need to accept the limitations of travel without it.

Stena Line:

British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland but are advised to take a form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or utility bill will usually suffice. A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings.

So there is no real enforcement then, just a token half-measure. The type the island goes for every time.

Well there is. They are saying you need photo ID but it doesn't necessarily have to be a passport.

Ain't no picture on a utility bill.

Who checks the id? I assume that it will be the SP employee who checks the id against the booking on their system and thus verifies that the passenger is who they say they are when they booked. Doesn't that just bring the ferry into line with what happens for the plane?

What interests me more is what happens to the data that's collected. I wouldn't be comfortable with all passenger lists being routinely passed to government, but I wouldn't have a problem at all with the police or security service being able to enquire to the SP or to the airline about a specific person. In other words, the data ought not to be available for fishing.

I'm sure the UK wouldn't mind knowing who leaves the island and how many times a year. Might be a bit of UK tax to pay you see, for any self employed people who enjoy the favourable tax regime here but enjoy regular trips away to visit friends and family and do some shopping. Every penny counts.

Yes, it does carry that implication, Lxxx, depending who can access the data and how. There needs to be a statement (under the DPA?) of who the data user is and what the purpose of the data set actually is.

Wouldn't matter one jot what they say. HMRC can access whatever data they want whenever they want it. Everyone's fighting over our pennies at the moment.

Presumably the passenger list will be run through the CRO and only those who are on a 'wanted' list will be detained on entry and presumably sent back.

So what are they going to do with those with convictions? Say they can't enter even though they have paid their dues to society? Tell them they will be under surveillance? Tell them they will be searched on leaving? What happened to innocent until found guilty?

Not thought through IMHO.

Presumably the passenger list will be run through the CRO and only those who are on a 'wanted' list will be detained on entry and presumably sent back.

So what are they going to do with those with convictions? Say they can't enter even though they have paid their dues to society? Tell them they will be under surveillance? Tell them they will be searched on leaving? What happened to innocent until found guilty?

True. It's a nice idea and appeals to the part of our psyche that like to feel secure, no matter how real it is. In practice it won't matter one jot, other than after the event to prove someone was here/there on any given date.

True. It's a nice idea and appeals to the part of our psyche that like to feel secure, no matter how real it is. In practice it won't matter one jot, other than after the event to prove someone was here/there on any given date.

That's my take on it as well.

They can't prevent people travelling to the Island who have ID

So is this a proposal that's being discussed or a new policy in place already. I'm on the boat tomorrow evening so that's kinda important to know and that headline implies it's a done deal as opposed to being a question.

Archived