Can't get new mobile phone battery posted from the UK

gd0nfn

I have ordered a new battery for my mobile phone from ebay but it seems that none of the postal services will deliver such an item to the Island?

Got the following email from Ebay:

Dear customer,

How are you? Hope you everything goes well.

We received notice from our shipment part ,we feel so sorry.

the shipping department told us that the shipping carrier can't send the battery package to your address,they tried many other shipping carriers,but none of them accept the Li-lon battery package,

We exactly want to do this business with you. But in order not to delay your order so long time, we have full refunded to you, please check your paypal account.

Sincerely apologized again about this thing.We knew in this transaction it must made you disappointed,we really didn't know how to express our feeling.Only said sorry,sorry, very sorry. Please forgive.

If you have any problem, please contact me first, we will do our best to solve it for you, thanks.

Best regards,

helen

Any thoughts how to get around this issue or must we just charge our mobile phones ever hour?

>I have ordered a new battery for my mobile phone from ebay but it seems that none of the postal services will deliver such an item to the Island?

And perhaps not by Air Mail either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner_battery_problems

TBT.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks BigDave will give it a try.

WOOPS - tried to order but would not ship to the Island "Sorry! We only currently ship to the UK and countries within the European Union. Please contact us if you think there is an error."

OK order placed and accepted now I live in the UK. Thanks BigDave.

Why not buy it on the island?

When the Royal Mail started clamping down on anything that could pose any threat in any way whatsoever (tools, perfume, paint, batteries etc) the Chinese sellers initially just ignored the shipping restrictions. But it appears they are clamping down completely now.

This may be partly due to the willy-nilly use of large lithium cells jammed randomly against the solder connections on the backs of PCBs and screwed down nice and tight in flimsy casings, that has possibly caused more to go nuclear than normal. I see some really awful stuff coming from China which suggests a complete lack of even basic understanding of lithium cell technology.

Incidentally, I took a lithium cell apart recently and it was quite interesting. The rechargeable LiPo cells don't contain raw lithium, but use lithium ion transfer to store the charge. Their main hazard is the current they can pump out when they are shorted and in some cases caused to fail internally.

It's a modestly long video that mainly involves me pondering whether what I'm doing is incredibly foolish or not... And then continuing anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI1eRy0uBI8

Entertaining video Clive.

The Post Office have taken a much harder line on accepting stuff this in the last couple of years. Whilst there is a view that these are dangerous goods (and the CAA obviously have strict rules on the subject) much more dangerous materials are routinely transported by air. I understand that IOM post had to modify/downgrade the wording of the notices in the post office after the CAA apparently thought the original wording was 'excessive'.

It's easier to just say no than complicate matters by having a two tier system where non-air transportation could be specified.

There's an increasing amount of stuff that doesn't appear to be acceptable for shipping to the Island, at least per airmail, as has been posted, there's also sellers on likes of ebay who state that they won't ship here and in my experience it's not just "dangerous" goods.

Conversely there's sellers who don't seem to mind and I recently had a phone battery from ebay with no problem at all....

But it's even applied to aerosol paint tins and dry charged batteries now, apparently such cargo has to come by boat on the "dangerous cargo sailing" (Tues nights?).

Probably all the usual entirely subjective application of jobsworth rules.

But it's even applied to aerosol paint tins and dry charged batteries now, apparently such cargo has to come by boat on the "dangerous cargo sailing" (Tues nights?).

I needed a replacement boot strut for the car - the bit that stops the lid falling on your head whilst you load your bread and milk and so on in the boot. On querying the dealer why there was a delay it was because they are "hazardous items" and had to come on the dangerous cargo sailing. So not hazardous when fixed to the inside of the car subject to constant vibration and temperature variations and barely shielded from the occupants, but apparently f**king lethal when inside a cardboard box surrounded by Styrofoam. Be careful out there...

I didn't have any problems getting batteries for mobile phones, or a laptop battery, as long as you use a UK seller, and not a China one, and they were through Ebay, they must have come by boat though, as the restriction seems to be by air.

Its simply marked at the post office as surface mail - recent recalled lifejackets came back to me, with CO2 cylinders, in a parcel marked 'do not fly'. Its simple. Sellers cannot be arsed to stick a sticker on it, or are charging RM delivery prices and just banging them out to cheaper carriers.

Amazon does not ship whisky to me anymore.

Same with perfumes.Even changing the address to Isle of Man, UK does not work anymore.

You can still buy from third party sellers on amazon but they don't have the same prices as amazon.

Well I am pleased to say that the battery arrived this morning; it had no special packaging (just a little plastic wallet); clearly it is not helpfull to say you live in the IOM; just lie and say you are a UK post code. A sad reflection of the times and clearly from the comments to this post a growing issue.

Time we started digging a tunnel to the UK!

Archived