NASA controversies

Chinahand

The red line is the diameter of the Earth!!!!!!!

Gerry, look at my diagram and use your brain.

It is not the diameter of the Earth and until you can understand this you will continually make a fool of yourself.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry - let's try this. Fancy doing some maths problems?

1) With a spherical earth how many earth's radii would the camera have to be away from the centre of the earth for a camera to take an image showing a disc with a diameter half that of the earth's.

2) With a spherical earth how many earth's radii would the camera have to be away from the centre of the earth for a camera to take an image showing a disc with a diameter equal to that of the earth's.

Look at my diagrams and try to answer them. Do give it a real try.

Answers on a postcard.

Gerry, you are wrong about this.

Should we add another maths problem to the list.

1) With a spherical earth how many earth's radii would the camera have to be away from the centre of the earth for a camera to take an image showing a disc with a diameter one tenth that of the earth's.

Please do the maths and actually work out the answer, it will help you understand these issues.
Or are you incapable of doing them?

Gerry, you are wrong about this.

Should we add another maths problem to the list.

1) With a spherical earth how many earth's radii would the camera have to be away from the centre of the earth for a camera to take an image showing a disc with a diameter one tenth that of the earth's.

Please do the maths and actually work out the answer, it will help you understand these issues.
Or are you incapable of doing them?

Why, oh why don't you let this fool go.

He's had his 15 mins of fame stupidity and nobody gives 2 f****. You are obviously a clever guy and I just can't see why you bite.

@ dilligaf, Mainly because it isn't entirely hopeless. The main problem is the world view continual tries to rationalize away the evidence I present, but it does seem possible to present the evidence in a way Gerry et al can't simply dismiss. They have to engage with it.

Plus it is fun to try to think ways to explain these ideas so that Gerry et al at least understand them rather than just accept the anti-knowledge spewed out via Youtube etc.

Are you saying that If I were to get into a spaceship and travel up I could reach the correct height to see empty space all around the earth, whilst just showing 1/10th of the diameter of the earth.?

Why don't you work out the angular field of view in each case and compare it with various camera formats - a format 1 28mm camera lens has a field of view of 65.5 degrees.

That is a pretty conventional lens without much distortion - can you work out:

1) what altitude it would be able to give you a photo of the full disc?

2) what the diameter of the disc will be compared to the Earth's radius?

Gerry, being able to answer these questions will help you a lot in improving your understanding of the world.

Please do give it a go.

I wonder if Wrighty would join in explaining the maths?

Thinking about it 28mm is probably too narrow a field of view, plus the 2012 Blue Marble image is a composite from the VIIRS Imagery Data on the Suomi Satellite taken from on average 824 km up.

So Gerry, if the image is taken from 824 km up what is the disc diameter? Hint the answer the diameter of the Earth is incorrect!

It is not a single shot of the earth from 824 KM up, as you said it is a composite, which make's the situation worse, I assume the satellite has orbited the planet?

To try and get a shot of earth with space all around from a height of 824 km, your field of view would surely be filled with a rectangular looking planet! To do so would mean you would have to have a massive angle of view,

Archived