NASA controversies

Chinahand

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry, use some maths to work out which answer seems to make more sense.

I've now done the maths for a disc 824 km up ... and guess what? The disc size is consistent with the image.

Gerry, genuinely try and do the maths to work it out.

Chinahand, this is unrelated but can you answer a question I'm curious about. Is there always somewhere in the world where it's sunset? Would it be possible to travel in a plane (re-fueling it along the way) and to always follow the sunset?

Thanks

Hi Aloha Oe, Yes to both your questions, there is always somewhere in the world where it is sunset and you can travel in a jet plane and keep up with the sunset - Brian Cox recently did this.

Gerry, use some maths to work out which answer seems to make more sense.

I've now done the maths for a disc 824 km up ... and guess what? The disc size is consistent with the image.

Gerry, genuinely try and do the maths to work it out.

China, I think we're very close indeed to the time when you need to simply put your feet up, have a cuppa, and just wait for Darwinian principles to apply themselves to others.

Chinahand, this is unrelated but can you answer a question I'm curious about. Is there always somewhere in the world where it's sunset? Would it be possible to travel in a plane (re-fueling it along the way) and to always follow the sunset?

Thanks

Hi Aloha Oe, Yes to both your questions, there is always somewhere in the world where it is sunset and you can travel in a jet plane and keep up with the sunset - Brian Cox recently did this.

A round trip, wasn't it ..?

Thanks

That's actually quite a good question, and I'm sure there would be some maths for someone who isn't drunk on Glogg to work out. Like, if you were on a plane with a massive fuel tank flying at 20000 ft around the equator how fast would you need to go to keep up with the sunset. Or something.

Gerry, if your picture is a frontal view:

post-35809-0-73870900-1451509613.jpg

This sketch is a side view:

post-1364-0-48991700-1451519713_thumb.png

In the 2012 picture A is 824 km*, R is 6371 km

Can you work out the angle to be found?

And then the ratio of the lengths of the two red lines?

*Erm ... should I try to find out what altitude the 2007 photo was taken at? Probably should!

Gerry, if your picture is a frontal view:

post-35809-0-73870900-1451509613.jpg

This sketch is a side view:

attachicon.giffield of view3.png

In the 2012 picture A is 824 km*, R is 6371 km

Can you work out the angle to be found?

And then the ratio of the lengths of the two red lines?

*Erm ... should I try to find out what altitude the 2007 photo was taken at? Probably should!

Even as a total "round earth" fella, I can see something wrong with the 2 globes.

No matter what angle or distance to the camera, the 2 would never match.

One of them is NOT a photograph. This kind of thing "feeds" people like Gerry and Paul (if they are not one!)

I don't quite get you point dilligaf, both these images are totally consistent with each other. It is really interesting but people don't seem to get that the disc that you see IS NOT the diameter of the Earth.

You would only see the entire diameter if you were an infinite distance away from the Earth!

As you get closer to the Earth the disc you see is a progressively smaller and smaller proportion of the Earth's diameter.

As a result the ratio of the size of a feature (such as the distance across the USA) to the size of the disc will change depending upon how far away you are from the earth.

Just to say, neither of the images are a single photograph - they are both composite images built up from lots of other images.

Here's an interesting article showing how they ... dare I use the word ... "manipulated" ... the images to change the altitude of the image ... from 824 km to 12,743km.

NASA totally admits it enhances it public outreach imagery.

I don't like this one, for example, as it makes the shadows of the mountains far larger than reality to bring out the relief:

BlueMarble.jpg

Well I'm going to bed.

I presume Gerry isn't doing any maths, but if A = 824, and 6371 then the Angle to be found is 55.38 and the ratio of the two red lines will be 1:80.

Gerry, care to measure the ratio of your two red lines - note it won't be exact as the US line isn't exactly symmetrical to the centre line, but that will only make a small difference!!

Gerry, do you get the maths needed to get these answers? You just need to work your way around the triangles - genuinely this is maths taught at something like age 13.

I don't like this one, for example, as it makes the shadows of the mountains far larger than reality to bring out the relief:

Yeah and the closer you get to the mountains, they appear to get smaller, its a wonderful and magical 2D world of Geometry that you live in Chinahand.

Thanks for putting this NASA controversy to bed for most of us here.

Viewed from above either north or south poles the planet is round. Viewed from above the equator the planet is round.

Doesn't concur too well with a flat earth theory,does it?

ETA: viewed from any angle at great distance above, the earth always appears round.

Yeah and the closer you get to the mountains, they appear to get smaller, its a wonderful and magical 2D world of Geometry that you live in Chinahand.

Thanks for putting this NASA controversy to bed for most of us here.

i actually can't believe what i'm reading! never heard anything so daft in my life. so how is the picture round then?!!! x

I don't quite get you point dilligaf, both these images are totally consistent with each other. It is really interesting but people don't seem to get that the disc that you see IS NOT the diameter of the Earth.

You would only see the entire diameter if you were an infinite distance away from the Earth!

As you get closer to the Earth the disc you see is a progressively smaller and smaller proportion of the Earth's diameter.

As a result the ratio of the size of a feature (such as the distance across the USA) to the size of the disc will change depending upon how far away you are from the earth.

Just to say, neither of the images are a single photograph - they are both composite images built up from lots of other images.

Here's an interesting article showing how they ... dare I use the word ... "manipulated" ... the images to change the altitude of the image ... from 824 km to 12,743km.

NASA totally admits it enhances it public outreach imagery.

BlueMarble.jpg

China, I concede that you are far more intelligent than me, but I am not stupid.

Both those "globes" seem to be the same diameter, so spinning the left hand one about 30 - 40 degrees still would not make North America the same size.

It does not matter how far away the picture was taken, if the diameter is the same, America has to appear the same size, surely?

Archived