15,000 apathetic households

Cronky

Households missing from electoral register given final chance to submit information

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=3

More than 15,000 households which had not completed and returned their electoral registration forms by the 1 February deadline have been given another chance to submit the required information.

. . . Being on the register does not mean that a person must vote but it is a legal requirement to return the completed form when asked to do so by the Electoral Registration Officer.

What is the Government going to do if 15,000 households just don't bother?

It would be tad farcical to attempt to prosecute the lot of them!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£1000 fine for not filling it in? 15000 households? Eddie will be thrilled.

They've just sent us another form, addressed to 'the occupier'. The government already knows who lives here. The DHSC own the house, so that dept knows, the tax office know who lives here, the dept of education knows who lives here, the car is registered under my name to this address so the DOI know as well. In the last few months we have had contact with all these different departments yet they still send us a letter addressed to 'the occupier'? Bizarre.

I haven't had any junk mail from the TV licencing people in a couple of years. By filling this form in will it start again?

£15,000,000. Potentially ...

Stunning. Is there no limit on the depth this 'government' will stoop in its quest to shaft the population to support its follies?

They've just sent us another form, addressed to 'the occupier'. The government already knows who lives here. The DHSC own the house, so that dept knows, the tax office know who lives here, the dept of education knows who lives here, the car is registered under my name to this address so the DOI know as well. In the last few months we have had contact with all these different departments yet they still send us a letter addressed to 'the occupier'? Bizarre.

I haven't had any junk mail from the TV licencing people in a couple of years. By filling this form in will it start again?

Aye no doubt they'll claim data protection. Is this all because of the proxy vote scandal?

So they kick a load of people of the register who did not ask to be removed now they want to force them all back. How many households are there 15,000 must be at least 50% of the population.

+ 1

The civil servant who made the decision to bump all these people off in the first place needs his head testing. I still don't accept that it was just a stupid and ill thought through policy decision. They've effectively removed 15,000 homes (and God knows how many people) permanently off the Register in the lead up to a general election. Then they say that voter turn out figures have been terrible for the last by-election's and some of the local authority elections. No shit? I wonder why? They've also had local authority members themselves who have had to resign positions because they have failed to re-register.

Also now it's happened what is the incentive to go back on the list? Other than being threatened with a fine - nothing! You've become untraceable from anyone wanting to track you down, you've come off mailing lists and other annoyances that trawl data from the voter lists, and you've avoided the hassle of being dragged into local politics. For many that's a win, win situation. I still can't help believing this is a ploy to help some existing members of Keys get back in by deliberately reducing the number of people who might be able to vote against them. Otherwise it's just staggering incompetence.

I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Do we really want all data on ourselves to be centralised and accessible by all governmental departments? There's something to be said for just providing each dept with only the info they need and nothing else. There's no real need for them to share everything with each other.

I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Do we really want all data on ourselves to be centralised and accessible by all governmental departments? There's something to be said for just providing each dept with only the info they need and nothing else. There's no real need for them to share everything with each other.

it would be great if they did share data. you wouldn't get the same person with 2 or 3 different names getting benefits at the same address. if miss xxxxx starts work in Tesco's the dhss gets informed and miss xxxxx has her benefits adjusted accordingly, none of this oh I forgot shit!!. plenty of sensible reasons for sharing data automatically and having inter agency access to the databases.

Archived