15,000 apathetic households

Cronky

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which reminds me.. anyone got one of those budweiser beer caps with connecting straws and a hawaian shirt i can borrow for the day. should do the trick, trouble is i look too rational and sensible i bound to be chosen otherwise

In London a smart suit and a daily telegraph under your arm was alleged to result in you being rejected at the request of the defendants solicitor flowers.gif ......... perhaps a Daily Mail under the other armlaugh.png ....... would venture to suggest that consuming alcohol could result in you being in 'contempt' ..... you could end up with a fine or worseflowers.gif

I got taken to task the other week because I said I didn't vote, I wasn't given time to explain that it was a bye-election, and I was getting chemotherapy that day, and anyway the persons standing were not in my view not up to the standard I require, the tirade I got was, " if you don't vote you have no right to question the government ", and I thought Hitler was dead.

I do send my forms in, and I did vote in the general election, but the person I voted for IMO was worth my vote, but if this person who was ranting at me, is a prime example of the devoted voter who will vote for a monkey if one was put, well it has put me off completely, it reminds of the 1930s and Hitler's Germany.

Perhaps you could have told them you didn't value them or their opinions , sometimes, IMO, when folk continue to tell you how you should conduct yourself it is entirely appropriate to tell them where to go ( involves sex and travel).laugh.png

The problem is that many people have an innate belief in "Authority" thanks to social programming from birth, they believe that if a group of people get together it gives the collective group powers that the individuals in the group do not possess, this makes no sense, how can a group of people have any more authority than any one of the individuals in that group, if none of them individually possess these powers in the first place then were does the added power spring from?

If a man came to your door and said from now on you will give me a % of all your efforts and labors, I will also collect a yearly sum from you just because you are living here, if you want to do something that I deem as illegal, then I may give you a license to do it, at a fee of coarse, and in return I will provide shoddy services, I also require you to register your home, your car, even your children, to me. oh and by the way you can only accept my offer of services, rejection is not an option, if you object I will make your life a misery and put you in a cage, what would you tell him to do?

Ah isn't it nice to be free!

...at a fee of coarse...!

I am most certainly not paying a fee to be coarse!...Sorry...that should be...I'm most certainly not paying a fucking fee to be bastard-well coarse.... you asshole.

[...] I can't help believing that this is an orchestrated move to ensure that less people (ie. the actual number of voters able to cast a vote) are able to vote in the general election; whilst at the same time trying to ensure that the official records which reflect the percentage of people who were entitled to vote and who subsequently did vote (ie. the percentage voter turnout) stays the same or increases. I do not believe that they are that incompetent that they thought that managing the process in this way would result in physically more people turning out to vote as that can't possibly be the case

[...] Citing migrant work forces isn't sufficient as we don't have anything like that kind of turnover in a decade never mind a few years.

I think that it's probably a mistake to see this as some sort of conspiracy to prevent people voting[1]. In the Isle of Man[2] incompetence tends to be the more plausible reason for anything. Certainly our politicians are unlikely to be behind it - they're normally the first to start shouting when they find one of 'their' voters has been left of the Register.

That doesn't mean our politicians are without culpability however. After the 2006 election there were numerous complaints, especially from politicians, about the Register being started from scratch and the number of omissions and mistakes that resulted. This led Tynwald to commission a report from John Wright of this parish[3] which included a number of recommendations, some of which needed legislation but others which were purely administrative. Few of them seem to have been put into action and I don't think any relevant legislation has been passed except for the new boundaries. So if it goes wrong they will have no one to blame but themselves.

[1] Not least because a lot of the current panic is probably premature. Most of the 15,000 missing households will almost certainly reply and some may have already done so - the deadline was only the 1st and you suspect that a lot of forms may still be waiting to be processed. This might explain why some people are getting a second form after returning the first. A lot of the fuss may simply be that civil servants are wanting to show just how busy and hard-working they are.

[2] This doesn't mean that similar things can't be deliberate elsewhere. The way individual registration has been introduced in the UK is almost certainly motivated by a desire to reduce the number of Labour MPs for example. But that sort of Party logic doesn't really work in the Island (we don't do political parties or logic that well)

[3] Just how much of this parish will be seen from examination of pages 59-60 (pdf 64-65) of the Report

i'll consider it. juries are like mhk's, anyone who seriously wants to do it should definitely not be allowed anywhere near it. have got to assume at least 50% of them will be as desperate as me to get out of it. im definitely concerned im too credible

Just print off some of your posts on here and take them along.

Should do the trick no probs...

im seriously considering getting done for shoplifting in the meantime. would definitely work out less expensive

Looking at the grounds for exemption, the most attainable might be "A regular minister of any religious denomination". Found your own religion now. Alternatively you could try becoming a "mentally disordered person" or an MHK. Or both.

(The old Register is still in force by the way, soi you would have been summoned based on that, not returning the form doesn't help here).

[...] I can't help believing that this is an orchestrated move to ensure that less people (ie. the actual number of voters able to cast a vote) are able to vote in the general election; whilst at the same time trying to ensure that the official records which reflect the percentage of people who were entitled to vote and who subsequently did vote (ie. the percentage voter turnout) stays the same or increases. I do not believe that they are that incompetent that they thought that managing the process in this way would result in physically more people turning out to vote as that can't possibly be the case

[...] Citing migrant work forces isn't sufficient as we don't have anything like that kind of turnover in a decade never mind a few years.

I think that it's probably a mistake to see this as some sort of conspiracy to prevent people voting[1]. In the Isle of Man[2] incompetence tends to be the more plausible reason for anything. Certainly our politicians are unlikely to be behind it - they're normally the first to start shouting when they find one of 'their' voters has been left of the Register.

I'm sorry but I have never subscribed to the "Manx Muddle" school of thought. We write far too much that goes on here off as general incompetence. Much is far too persistent, and far too widespread and coordinated to just be written off as plain incompetence.

Archived