Port Soderick - Sold

slinkydevil

Odd, I saw that name on a road sign down there yesterday and thought it was the name of the sign supplier. Let's hope they don't close access. Who did they buy it from?

Bought from Braddan Commissioners.

Yes, surprising that an authority headed by a self proclaimed tree hugger can flog a national beauty spot off to a developer. That said it probably saved it from going to Dandara (assuming this Heritage, has no connection to their Heritage).

It can hardly have been sold by Braddan Commissioners if they are claiming to have known nothing about it till today (it's just inside Braddan, though part of the glen is in Santon). Wiki has more detail than you would normally expect, but may be out of date for the previous ownership. The press release was issued last October, though the sale went through in the summer:

Heritage Great Britain acquires Port Soderick, Isle of Man.

27th October 2015

Port Soderick is a small hamlet to the south of Douglas, capital of the Isle of Man, once famed for its pleasure grounds and beach, and represents a unique coastal development opportunity.

In summer 2015 Heritage Great Britain acquired this privately owned bay and, with its unique experience of rejuvenating the rural landscapes of tourist sites such as John O'Groats and the summit of Snowdon, Heritage Great Britain is now working with award-winning Isle of Man architects and Isle of Man government officials to bring Port Soderick back to life for the local economy in the new millennia.

Heritage Great Britain sees this project as being yet another venture that will be developed with the highest quality in mind.

but seems to have been missed locally (obviously they were unaware of the need to spoon-feed the Manx media).

It seems a very odd purchase if you look at the other properties in Heritage Great Britain's portfolio, which seem mainly to consist of such iconic properties as Land's End (which they purchased off a certain Mr Graham Ferguson Lacey) which was their first property; the Snowdon Mountain Railway and the Needles. They do seem to have been branching out into franchised kid's stuff (the Shaun the Sheep Experience, anyone?), but Port Soderick World seems less likely to be a winner.

They're based in Liverpool, though I can't see a connection with the Peel Group, which would be the first reaction from that address. The words about "working with [...] Isle of Man government officials to bring Port Soderick back to life for the local economy in the new millennia" are strange as well and not just for the implication of a several thousand year Reich. Is this DED money being poured down another abortive project?

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

Odd, I saw that name on a road sign down there yesterday and thought it was the name of the sign supplier. Let's hope they don't close access. Who did they buy it from?

Yes, surprising that an authority headed by a self proclaimed tree hugger can flog a national beauty spot off to a developer. That said it probably saved it from going to Dandara (assuming this Heritage, has no connection to their Heritage).

Hard to believe the site was owned by Braddan Comms. When did they acquire it ?

No it wasn't. It has been bought from a private company. Braddan comms has never owned it.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/offers-invited-for-old-port-soderick-hotel-1-6755428

That it changed hands last year makes sense with the various repairs/rebuilds down there. The footbridge at the entrance to the glen was replaced last year with a wide, sturdy bridge, complete with weight restriction sign now washed under it after the recent floods. It was the weight restriction sign I spotted yesterday on the stone bridge from the promenade to the farm that had the name on it. It was strange that so much was being spent on repair and upkeep.

I hope it is for the benefit of the place as an amenity. One of my most favourite places on the island, mixed with so many memories over the years from being a child in the paddling pool and blowing bubbles into coke bottles under the yellow awning, to being a 'lighting tech' for a band in my teen years (switching sockets on and off on an improvised lighting control panel) to walking my children from toddlers with various dogs and now walking with my granddaughter trying to explain the logistics of poo-sticks while she gets p***ed off that I threw the very best stick in the whole glen into the stream.

• Like 2

Heritage Great Britain, the Liverpool-based owner of Land’s End and John O’Groats, has reported rises in revenues, profits and visitor numbers.

The company’s porfolio includes the iconic English and Scottish landmarks, as well as the Snowdon Mountain Railway, The Needles, on the Isle of Wight, and Lightwater Valley, which is home to a family theme park and country shopping village set in 175 acres of North Yorkshire countryside

not to be confused with 'English Heritage' !

Thinking about it, a couple of weeks ago there were a group of people cleaning the steps from Marine Drive to the north of the bay. I chatted to the man apparently in charge and it seemed like they were just clearing it up. TBH, it augurs well, I hope.