Gawne defends £473k Sloc Road resurfacing: ‘We needed to spend money on something’

ManxTaxPayer

When he spouted about them having money "left" they had to spend, I imagined a few bob not nearly half a million quid of other peoples money !

I find myself in the position now, and I know my friends are similar, where if I can avoid giving this government a penny more than I have to then I will !

• Like 8

Don't talk utter rubbish.

Nearly impassable? You use a skateboard or something?

You are nuts.

He's right, it is a waste of money.

Queens Prom is nearly impassable in my gold plated Lamborghini Aventador.

What's that like on the half-pipe?

• Like 1

When he spouted about them having money "left" they had to spend, I imagined a few bob not nearly half a million quid of other peoples money !

I find myself in the position now, and I know my friends are similar, where if I can avoid giving this government a penny more than I have to then I will !

Were you sort of financial backer before then?

All of us who pay tax are financial backers for these half wits bloody well wasting it !

We all are. It's called paying taxes and Government charges.

Unfortunately we're naive/gullible/stupid/uninformed/innocent (insert/delete as applicable) enough to expect those taxes to be spent wisely, with priorities and responsibility.

Not blown out the arse of a pig-ignorant, clueless, utterly-out-of-control Government Department led by a pig-ignorant, clueless, cloud-dwelling moron who's at his best throwing even more of our money and assets at third-world African countries, largely just to get his mug in the paper.

Roll on the election and hopefully the coming of any man wise enough to smash the DOI and it's entourage of leeching, employment justifying management and Civil Servants into manageable pieces.

• Like 6

Unfortunately we're naive/gullible/stupid/uninformed/innocent (insert/delete as applicable) enough to expect those taxes to be spent wisely, with priorities and responsibility.

Not blown out the arse of a pig-ignorant, clueless, utterly-out-of-control Government Department led by a pig-ignorant, clueless, cloud-dwelling moron who's at his best throwing even more of our money and assets at third-world African countries, largely just to get his mug in the paper.

Roll on the election and hopefully the coming of any man wise enough to smash the DOI and it's entourage of leeching, employment justifying management and Civil Servants into manageable pieces.

Dear, dear, dear. Unbelievable, nasty post.

Don't see or hear of anyone on here actually standing up and being counted,yet all seem to know how anyone who has a government job is not up to scratch.

So,it's either jealousy or lack of commitment to try harder and change things. I'll wager the former

• Like 1

Now your getting the idea,why give these clowns money to fucking waste,PAY CASH,great discounts available.

• Like 1

Phil Gawne has proved he is a clown by giving the reason he did, all government departments probably do the same perhaps to the tune of buying a couple of new office chairs but to spend this amount of money is really not on he should be held accountable....but they never are, so sad.

• Like 1

Dear, dear, dear. Unbelievable, nasty post.

But satisfyingly accurate

• Like 2

There is an upswing in public opinion, orchestrated by the press and the likes of Richard Murphy, to the effect that we must all pay more tax, and not take steps to avoid paying tax. Paying tax is good, avoiding tax is evil.

Yet day after day we see our hard earned taxes being wasted, flushed down the toilet on overpriced and unnecessary vanity schemes. And if the tiny IOM government can recklessly spend like this, imagine the billions being wasted by the British government.

• Like 3

What is really shocking about the Sloc resurfacing (apart from the price) is the impression that there didn't even seem to be any plans to do anything about the road until the 'need' to spend this money. It's not like it was in the proposed budgets already and they brought it forward a few months into a different financial year. There doesn't seem to be any schedule of works to be done that was adjusted by circumstance - the minimum you would expect in well-run organisation.

As with so much done by the DoI and its predecessors, you get the impression that what work gets done is dictated by the convenience of the contractors and the whims of civil servants. Whether it is also influenced by politicians wanting to be seen 'doing something' in their constituency is another matter. Though I don't get the impression that Gawne's constituents are much impressed by his demonstrations of affection so far (that roundabout, the endless work on Church Road, that other roundabout).