TT Miracle: Moffatt says something I agree with

thesultanofsheight

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life is dangerous you can get hit by a bus walking out your front door, it is a shame people die on the open roads but in terms of the racing these guys know the risks and as long as they are willing to continue to race and people continue to watch then it will continue.

It's a shame people die on open roads? < sigh > yes it is; I wonder what we could do about that? I doubt trying to get another 10,000 bikers over to drive on the same roads at the same time is the right answer?

Well these threads all start the same. State sponsored death is not justified. I give examples of other state sponsored death which are then written off as "that's different". It's easy to see how I could reach the conclusion that Death or state is far from the only consideration in the criticism of the event - which it clearly isn't.

No they don't. Not in my case anyway. I don't have a problem with the event per see (as I said above) but I do have an issue with us investing further into it and growing it; as its an emerging PR disaster that is going to sink millions to allow the world to witness more death linked to the IOM.

Ah I wondered when we'd get to the crux of it - you don't actually mind the death, it's the bad PR that bothers you.

I personally do find it hard to witness the big smiles and back slapping of a successful TT and the money involved etc while they simultaneously ignore the death and serious injury involved

Who's ignoring it?

Laurence Skelly

The IOM needs to pay for defence. That's a fact. it's hardly like we can conduct our own is it?

There is no link to death whatsoever in this context. It's a really poor analogy.

Defence from what? We pay the UK £3M annually for defence despite the fact we haven't needed defending from anything for hundreds of years. a majority of that £3M goes to the UK armed forces who due to UK foreign policy have been involved in conflicts pretty much every year in living memory causing many times more deaths each year that the TT has in over a hundred.

No analogy needed death is death.

Wow. It must be brilliant being as fucking clueless as you are.

Just so I can get this right, your suggestion is that we pay nothing whatsoever to the UK and in return we are fair game for ANYONE who wants to come in and declare the island theirs? Or of course fund our own defence.

To give you some context - it's 10p a day per person to have the protection of the UK Armed Forces and of course allow our own people to serve their country.

As i said, there is no comparison between the commitments of the Armed Forces (and deaths associated in the line of duty/their job) and deaths related to a largely amateur motor sport event. None at all.

Life is dangerous you can get hit by a bus walking out your front door, it is a shame people die on the open roads but in terms of the racing these guys know the risks and as long as they are willing to continue to race and people continue to watch then it will continue.

It's a shame people die on open roads? < sigh > yes it is; I wonder what we could do about that? I doubt trying to get another 10,000 bikers over to drive on the same roads at the same time is the right answer?

Likewise is it a good idea to try & grow the population by another 20K for economic reason? This will inevitably increase road accidents too.

Likewise is it a good idea to try and grow the population by another 20K for economic reason? This will inevitably increase road accidents too.

Are you suggesting that 20k people going about their daily business at normal, everyday speeds is the same as 40k (yeah right) people trying to twat around as fast as they can get away with (adding in the the atmosphere of must go faster and drinking to excess)?

Will road accidents increase, yes of course. But will we have the same levels of death and injury that 2 weeks of TT "fun"? Not likely.

The moment the ITV4 gurus stood in a line and announced the demise of the two riders (in the same episode as I remember) with headstone type graphics was the worst PR sporting moment IOM could have had. Folks won't remember it as ITV4, they will remember it only as IOM TT.

Not the best of PR moments.

As a former competitor, it is difficult to comment without bias in favour of the TT. All I can say is that I suffered a huge accident a few years ago which should really have cost me my life. It's left me with life changing injuries which cause me difficulties with everyday life.

I get very upset when anyone is injured or killed on the circuit but I know that if I could, I'd be out there again at the drop of a hat.

Riding the TT or MGP becomes something which defines you for life, more so than racing at any track elsewhere in the world. You only have to look at the number of ex racers who make the pilgrimage back here every year, some of them having raced at the world's top level.

It's hard to justify the deaths and injuries, I am totally against people racing who have young families, but the Mountain Circuit probably has to be experienced for anyone to fully understand why people do it.

Archived