TT Miracle: Moffatt says something I agree with

thesultanofsheight

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The racing is fine - they know the risks etc. I've no problem with it continuing. I don't like to see the racers described as heroes or the bravest men on the planet etc. Those descriptions are usually reserved for people risking themselves to help others, not risking themselves and their family life in the pursuit of personal thrills.

What is not fine is us tacitly attracting thousands of wannabees over with the promise they can ride the course at unlimited speeds. If it's all about the races, and the fans watching them and soaking up the atmosphere, and not really about being able to ride over the mountain at 150 without losing your license, then let's see a properly enforced speed limit for the fortnight, with severe penalties for those exceeding. I suspect visitor numbers, and visitor fatalities, would drop dramatically.

Monkey Boy - I often appreciate your arguments as very thought provoking, but the comparison with military expenditure is spurious to say the least. Wars are not designed as spectator events to entertain, and the economic parallels that they are needed to keep jobs in the arms industry are really a bit 'tin-foil hat' territory.

I see the Island's infrastructure creaking under the TT load and wonder what it would be like with Skelly's extra 20k residents....? On a full-time basis....?

What is not fine is us tacitly attracting thousands of wannabees over with the promise they can ride the course at unlimited speeds. If it's all about the races, and the fans watching them and soaking up the atmosphere, and not really about being able to ride over the mountain at 150 without losing your license, then let's see a properly enforced speed limit for the fortnight, with severe penalties for those exceeding. I suspect visitor numbers, and visitor fatalities, would drop dramatically.

This is sort of where I'm coming from and the reason I've had it with everything now; and can you imagine what it will be like if we grow the event to get another 10,000 bikers over as the new marketing agency has been tasked to deliver? It's not a good investment. It's an investment into further death and misery. Without those sort of restrictions we cannot police and control the number of bikes or the speed, and if those restrictions start having to be applied anyway a lot fewer will start coming. How many road deaths are we up to now? Four? And the event hasn't really started yet. But it's all the locals fault don't forget reading the Police tweets; were just drunken, fighting, speeding, careless idiots who seem to deliberately wait for these two weeks of the year to get drunk and disorderly and kill people on the roads.

When nobody is taking any notice of you, or your views on life

it becomes just like trying to sell your latest book

you have to say something controversial to get noticed

aren't we due a statement about an armed presence at Tynwald Day?

I have been a Supporter of Bernie's for many many years, but this is one ' personal comment ' to many. Lifetime friendships have been forged via the TT. It has helped to develop safety for motorcycles and continues to do so. For someone who has stood up for the rights of the individual this is hypocritical , it is also deeply insulting to those who put massive amounts of time into trying to make the event as safe as is possible for a high speed motor race. To suggest the people on ( and off the Island ) make money out of death , is disgusting , it is a comment I never thought I would hear from someone for whom I had a great deal of respect. You've lost a supporter today Bernie, but after your comments,I doubt if you will care. Very sad.

I do wonder what effect the weather has on both open & closed roads in situations like this. I suspect dry weather leads to a false sense of security/safety.

Always has done, look back through the records. Fine weather = many more accidents! but equally this applies outside TT.

This is sort of where I'm coming from and the reason I've had it with everything now; and can you imagine what it will be like if we grow the event to get another 10,000 bikers over as the new marketing agency has been tasked to deliver? It's not a good investment. It's an investment into further death and misery. Without those sort of restrictions we cannot police and control the number of bikes or the speed, and if those restrictions start having to be applied anyway a lot fewer will start coming. How many road deaths are we up to now? Four? And the event hasn't really started yet. But it's all the locals fault don't forget reading the Police tweets; were just drunken, fighting, speeding, careless idiots who seem to deliberately wait for these two weeks of the year to get drunk and disorderly and kill people on the roads.

Ask for Police records and you will find that ' Locals ' have played a major part in accidents and bad behavior at TT time for many years Nothing new in this , the sad part is that the ' Locals ' should play a huge part in demonstrating friendliness and good behavior at TT time , both on and off the roads. Anyone who knows anything about the TT fans will tell you that in general they are a grand group of people, fun loving, friendly and well behaved. That is not a biased view, it is one gained by 60 plus years of contact with TT fans. I do however believe that ' local ' behavior has become worse and worse, and yes , it has been over the past thirty years . Work that out for yourself

Ask for Police records and you will find that ' Locals ' have played a major part in accidents and bad behavior at TT time for many years Nothing new in this , the sad part is that the ' Locals ' should play a huge part in demonstrating friendliness and good behavior at TT time , both on and off the roads. Anyone who knows anything about the TT fans will tell you that in general they are a grand group of people, fun loving, friendly and well behaved. That is not a biased view, it is one gained by 60 plus years of contact with TT fans. I do however believe that ' local ' behavior has become worse and worse, and yes , it has been over the past thirty years . Work that out for yourself
trouble is, if you don't like bikes, there's not a great deal else to do other than get bladdered. it's a tradition

trouble is, if you don't like bikes, there's not a great deal else to do other than get bladdered. it's a tradition

Yeh not a great deal els to do...... except watch tv, play computer games, get s job, go out and exercise, join a gym, go camping, try a new hobby like landscape painting, join a library, visit heritage sites, form groups and play music together, volunteer for charity, sunbathe, listen to music, talk to each other about important things, stand for election, learn to drive, learn to knit, write poetry, go birdwatching, climb hills, go swimming, chill to a few joints etc etc etc x 1,000,000 million other things they could do aside from get pissed.

To suggest the people on ( and off the Island ) make money out of death , is disgusting

The sport is dangerous, people get entertainment from watching dangerous things (boxing, bull fighting, etc), people come to the island because we host a dangerous sport, people make money from people coming to watch the dangerous sport.

Whether it sits with your conscience or not, because people die, people are indirectly making money from it.

Archived