Experiment in direct democracy

Weevil central

So an unelected committee running the site keeping it independent from government...

Have you even read the definition of 'direct democracy'?

I'm beginning to think that the only regular thing you can spot under any pony tail...is an arsehole.

Begone with your undemocratic idea of democracy.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James - you could require a real name at registration, but allow a screen name, nom-de-plume on the site.

I could easily re-register with a name that looks more believable than Declan IOM, but it wouldn't necessarily be my name would it? Your requirement that "it's a real name" is bonkers, if you don't validate that name.

Your analogy with an election falls down because -

- An election is a secret ballot.

- the identity of the person voting is verified.

However, currently, you are at proof of concept stage, there's nothing binding about the vote, it is an expression of opinion site - like here, or a facebook group.

Declan, ironically James doesn't even have a real name himself. If he can register as Scampi then you should be able to register how you like. However I'm finding it hard to believe you are having difficulties registering Declan if an email address that includes 'philgawnelovescock' is entirely acceptable to the administrators. As for Scampis comments he has no idea who is even registered on his own website never mind who are posters on here. I think you will find there are several people who strongly disagree with this farce and its total lack of credibility and your persistent attempts to cheapen and demean the whole democratic process in the run up to an election. It's a playschool voting group for idiots and should certainly not be driving voting in Keys as it lacks any credibility at all.

Maybe they've just been discarded automatically without any further investigation.

How are you going to know if your trollvotes were counted or not? I would assume they're not going to publish the complete list of email addresses registered so you can point at the fake ones you set up. They're simply going to say there were XXX votes for each option and you're not able to say with any certainty that this includes your fake accounts.

I don't think you've thought this through.

I would assume they're not going to publish the complete list of email addresses registered so you can point at the fake ones you set up. They're simply going to say there were XXX votes for each option and you're not able to say with any certainty that this includes your fake accounts.

No but we will publish the email accounts that we set up and the user names linked to them to prove there is no governance whatsoever. All has been screen shot too

Well if they are obviously fake, there's no point emailing you.

I notice you say "our". What group are you part of?

Just a few people who are fed up of this zero-credibility embarrassing farce and it's pathetic electioneering for Gawne.

Care to share who those people are?

It could be the Manx Labour Party - who are running a candidate against him. Or Ronan and Cregeen for all we know.

I would assume they're not going to publish the complete list of email addresses registered so you can point at the fake ones you set up. They're simply going to say there were XXX votes for each option and you're not able to say with any certainty that this includes your fake accounts.

No but we will publish the email accounts that we set up and the user names linked to them to prove there is no governance whatsoever. All has been screen shot too

They could still have been cancelled as part of the weeding out process after your screen shot was taken.

Also you originally presented it that you'd be sharing a list of people who'd signed up and voted. Which will have put some people off from registering and using their real names. When all you're doing is showing screenshots that require the login and password of the person who created the account. That's hardly a DPA issue.

You're missing my point. How are you going to prove that those accounts were counted up in the process if they simply publish "Yes X No Y". Whether it's true or not, they could just claim they weeded out all fake accounts and you can't counter that unless they publish details of every vote, which I highly doubt that they would do (even more so now that you've been gleefully telling them your plan like a crap Bond villain)

I don't think anyone would argue that this is a perfect system, but I'm puzzled by the furious anger you seem to be directing at this experiment (which is what they describe it as themselves) rather than presenting your evidence in a constructive way and suggesting ways it could be improved.

The way you're going about it suggests you have a personal vendetta which damages your message.

Archived