General Calibre of Candidates

Rhumsaa

Is it just me or is the current field of prospective MHK's rather underwhelming in caliber?

I am not normally a negative nelly but I am left uninspired by the names I am seeing throw their hat in the ring so far.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one sensible wants to do it because they know that there is an ENORMOUS amount of work to do, they don't want to have to deal with the unsackable senior civil servants and they certainly don't want to have to but up with the pathetic behaviour of utter wankers like Geoff Corkish.

What did you expect ? Without some serious change on this Island, we won't have a decent democracy with proper, quality representation. It's just not going to happen, and wishing won't make it so. The whole political set-up and majority held Manx values and assumptions, is geared to keeping things the way they are. The way they've always been.

That's what happens when you don't like the way things are, but you don't like change...it becomes a loop of despair when all people do is moan more.

It doesn't pay enough.

We need less MHK's (maybe half) but with better packages on offer.

You are not going to see someone quit a £100k a year job in teh private sector to be an MHK. Unless of course they fancy the change and don't care about the money.

Is it just me or is the current field of prospective MHK's rather underwhelming in calibre?

I'm not sure. Where are you standing?

I'm not sure. Where do you live?

This is a small island, with a population around a third that of (just as an example) Medway in Kent. There is far too much 'government' when a unitary authority could cover the whole shebang. One all Island authority would be sufficient. Then the limited quantity of good, talented people would at least not be spread as thinly.

It doesn't pay enough.

We need less MHK's (maybe half) but with better packages on offer.

You are not going to see someone quit a £100k a year job in teh private sector to be an MHK. Unless of course they fancy the change and don't care about the money.

I agree with this in a part.

But someone earning £100k+ is rarely going to be representative of the community. MHKs are not managers. despite what some of them think. They are political representatives and yes, will ultimately have to make decisions (after, I hope, listening to the advice available and they have put their arrogance to one side)

The Island needs to do more to be able to call on the expertise, knowledge and experience of the people you are probably thinking of. The select committee system seems to be one way that is working to do this.

One thing I have found out about £100k+ per annum people, is they don't generally like sittting round for hours on end talking pompously about 'dogshit and potholes' again and again. Which, I suppose, is just the point.

I'd love to give it a go for nothing else but to attempt to give my kids a decent shot and actually have an island worthy of sticking around for but when you look at what's on offer in regards pay and working conditions then it doesn't seem attractive. Imagine working alongside people like Howard Quayle, Geoff Corkish and others of that intellectual standing day in day out and not getting anywhere because you don't shake hands the right way.

I'd love to give it a go for nothing else but to attempt to give my kids a decent shot...

Yes, it's so hard to find shops that sell size 26 adult shoes, squirty flowers and spinning dicky bows. Though there seem to be a few garages over here where you can buy the car required.

Is it just me or is the current field of prospective MHK's rather underwhelming in calibre?

I am not normally a negative nelly but I am left uninspired by the names I am seeing throw their hat in the ring so far.

Wasn't there supposed to be some new political group / party being set up in preparation for these elections, what ever happened to them?

I thought there was at least one more candidate coming forward for Ramsey as well.

I'm afraid there won't be any last minute big-hitters either. League 2 in September, not Premiership.

Who in a recession wakes up and says "You know what I really want to earn an administrators salary for having the crap kicked out of me by absolutely everyone I know for inevitably being useless at whatever I decide to do"? The Island is in a complete mess. Who would take that amount of money to have the crap kicked out of them by everyone because of 30 years worth of terrible decisions made by those who have had an easy ride for decades. It's a complete no brainier, which is probably why a lot of people coming forward seem to have no brain.

Archived