Query:Flight cancellation compensation?

mad_manx

Would have to say a bee getting into the instruments sounds fairly 'extraordinary'

Sounds a bit unlikely unless they mean it crawled into a pitot or static vent.  If that was the case, I think the airline has good cause to refuse a claim.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Standard practice for all budget airlines to take this stance now and refuse everything and hope you won't challenge. I now class BA as a budget airline even though they don't charge budget prices as their whole business model is now more akin to an EasyJet than a premium airline. 

On another note I now see Emirates are trying other avenues to fill their planes after a huge drop in profits. I recently flew to Dubai and on both legs I got an e-mail a few days before each flight to offer me the chance to upgrade to Business Class for an extra £380, a huge discount from the quoted fares. From speaking to someone they now regularly overbook economy and use this to fill the planes now to prevent any empty seats. Seems everyone are feeling the pinch in the aviation industry.

12 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Standard practice for all budget airlines to take this stance now and refuse everything and hope you won't challenge. I now class BA as a budget airline even though they don't charge budget prices as their whole business model is now more akin to an EasyJet than a premium airline. 

On another note I now see Emirates are trying other avenues to fill their planes after a huge drop in profits. I recently flew to Dubai and on both legs I got an e-mail a few days before each flight to offer me the chance to upgrade to Business Class for an extra £380, a huge discount from the quoted fares. From speaking to someone they now regularly overbook economy and use this to fill the planes now to prevent any empty seats. Seems everyone are feeling the pinch in the aviation industry.

Air Berlin went bust yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40935559

6 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Yeh, BA are being a bit naughty although we'll just ultimately escalate it to the appropriate bodies.  You have to wait for a specified period though so we've given BA the option to stock acting like a dodgy outfit or we'll take it further.  Which I suspect costs them a lot more than the compensation in staff time ultimately.

7 hours ago, Lxxx said:

This has been happening for years at around this price.  . I wouldn't class it as a major discount as it does not include lounge access even if flying J  ( you have to have skywards gold or above to use a UK lounge) and no chauffeur drive either .

For a return ticket that's an extra £760 (if you took the upgrade on both sectors )without getting either of these. 

PS: The emails are sent out also depending on your status with EK IMHO. 

The higher the status on EK the lesser the chances of getting the upgrade offers !!(They expect higher status members to pay up ;-))

I lost interest with Emirates after they stopped upgrading (Operational upgrades)on the basis of status . Its now on the basis of fare paid. 

I.e a skywards blue on a flex J fare would be Op'd up to F before a Gold or even a Platinum with a saver J ticket.

1 hour ago, notwell said:

Yeh, BA are being a bit naughty although we'll just ultimately escalate it to the appropriate bodies.  You have to wait for a specified period though so we've given BA the option to stock acting like a dodgy outfit or we'll take it further.  Which I suspect costs them a lot more than the compensation in staff time ultimately.

I did the same with BA and they had to pay out in the end. Got some lovely e-mail responses about how they value my custom but unfortunately it's not their fault. They even offered me a £100 voucher which I ignored.

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

This has been happening for years at around this price.  . I wouldn't class it as a major discount as it does not include lounge access even if flying J  ( you have to have skywards gold or above to use a UK lounge) and no chauffeur drive either .

For a return ticket that's an extra £760 (if you took the upgrade on both sectors )without getting either of these. 

PS: The emails are sent out also depending on your status with EK IMHO. 

The higher the status on EK the lesser the chances of getting the upgrade offers !!(They expect higher status members to pay up ;-))

I lost interest with Emirates after they stopped upgrading (Operational upgrades)on the basis of status . Its now on the basis of fare paid. 

I.e a skywards blue on a flex J fare would be Op'd up to F before a Gold or even a Platinum with a saver J ticket.

Really? I've flown with them for years and never got the e-mail before. I took the return leg as I was going out for a few (expensive) beers the night before so fancied a sleep. FWIW I think their economy flights under 7 hours are more than adequate anyway. A few beers, a film or two, bite to eat and you're there. For about £350 return it's decent value. 

13 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Really? I've flown with them for years and never got the e-mail before. I took the return leg as I was going out for a few (expensive) beers the night before so fancied a sleep. FWIW I think their economy flights under 7 hours are more than adequate anyway. A few beers, a film or two, bite to eat and you're there. For about £350 return it's decent value. 

Did your skywards status change recently? When I was silver I used to get the email upgrade offers all the time . I moved to gold and they stopped. Back to silver again and they have started sending the offers again..;-)

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, Bobbie Bobster said:

Been getting some regular and increasingly desperate email offers from Qatar over the last couple of months.

I like Qatar Airways. It's just a pain getting to/from Doha to anywhere else in the UAE these days.

4 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I like Qatar Airways. It's just a pain getting to/from Doha to anywhere else in the UAE these days.

Haven't been there for a few years now. AFAIK taking duty free alcohol was not allowed there . There were bars etc in the hotels..

Dubai is a totally different place where they allow 4 litres of spirits ( UK allows only 1 litre from Non EU) into the country.. ;-)

Archived