Query:Flight cancellation compensation?

mad_manx

My flight on flybe was cancelled today due to a technical issue with the aircraft.

I was told that I could get compensation from flybe for this due to EU regulations.

If I apply for a refund of my fare due to this, will I get both a refund of fare and the compensation?

I tried calling flybe but was on hold for ages and had to disconnect. From what I can see on the internet it looks as if they will try their best to blame it on something else but I'll give it a try.

PS: just in case anyone is planning to go across tomorrow there are no seats available to Liverpool/Gatwick/Manchester on flybe/easyjet .

There are seats available to London city and Blackpool(BA/City wing) if it helps.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can claim on line. Get your fare back and €250 EU261 compensation. They'll convert the euros to sterling and pay into your bank or back onto your card or give you a credit to use on future flights of €350 ( I think)

We had a flight cancelled, got a refund for the flight, and then had to put in a separate claim for expenses of seeking alternative travel and also filled out a form for EU compensation, The original flight was only £18 the alternative arrangements £60 plus a delay that I can now claim 250 euro for, I can't see budget airlines lasting much longer with those sorts of overheads.

We had an issue with a cancelled return Flybe flight from Jersey. Girded our loins for a battle but we were refunded the alternative flights, additional hotel costs and meals without issue. I was pleasantly surprised.

Why, it hardly inhibits a good profit but stops some of the tricks that could be played against the travelling public.

OK if it was a reasonable sanction, but when you are talking about hundreds in compensation if an £18 flight goes tech, I think it is far too onerous on the airline, and it really brings out the worst in the public. It's not like they planned it to go wrong and inconvenience you.

I think even the most cynical would readily agree there's much more than just the original fare to consider even if it is an unlikely £18.

What about an onward connection that was £90 when you booked but as you've missed it, tomorrows fare to that destination is now £275. The onward airline don't care why you missed it. It's not their problem.

I think even the most cynical would readily agree there's much more than just the original fare to consider even if it is an unlikely £18.

What about an onward connection that was £90 when you booked but as you've missed it, tomorrows fare to that destination is now £275. The onward airline don't care why you missed it. It's not their problem.

I appreciate that but I struggle to see how consequential losses can be laid at the door of an airline that is making best efforts and has something go wrong. Shit happens. In most businesses, conditions of sale explicitly exclude claims for consequential losses.

Shit happens with some airlines much more regularly than others. There must be a reason for that. Flybe seem to be much worse than, say, Ryanair who I travel with often (only because they go where I'm going and for no other reason).

There are a couple of issues, firstly fair enough if you have losses and receipts then you should get reimbursed but to have an arbitrary 250 euros when it has not caused any real issues is wrong. Secondly delays etc are already covered by travel insurance for a couple of quid extra on the policy, oh and it was less than £18 one way as at a fairly unsocial hour would have been less but my partner insisted on sitting next to me.

Archived