Future of sea services up for debate

GaryPotter

Some expert on the national broadcaster said there's bog all there where this new docking facility is proposed

I'm getting to know the Steam Packet very well.

I am travelling between IOM and Ormskirk 3 times per week using the Steam Packet Ferry from Liverpool.

Its a very good service but I would suggest it can only get better if it moves down from Princes Landing Stage to the Princes Half Tide Dock.The current terminal is a poor facility for such a good service to use.

I did think this area (Princes Half Tide Dock) was to be part of Peel's grandiose waterfront development but apparently not if its being sold as a ferry terminal.

Road access is good (its on the dock road) and there is plenty of room for both a taxi terminal and bus stage. All the well known city facilities are within walking distance.

I think it will be a positive move provided the IOM Government can tie down the Steam Packet to using Liverpool.

It'll be quite close to CostCo won't it? Not that much of a walk from there to the city centre

Steam Packet could always get some whizzy little Google cars to take people around & advertise the Isle of Man at the same time

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peel Ports really don't like spending their own money do they?

Not if Liverpool's dump of an airport is anything to go by.

Agreed. Had the unfortunate experience of going via there a couple of months ago and it's a shite hole. The main concourse floors were unswept & grubby.

Its a very good service but I would suggest it can only get better if it moves down from Princes Landing Stage to the Princes Half Tide Dock.The current terminal is a poor facility for such a good service to use

All the well known city facilities are within walking distance.

I think it will be a positive move provided the IOM Government can tie down the Steam Packet to using Liverpool.

I agree that the current terminal is poor, with few facilities or comforts for the foot passenger, and no access for vehicle passengers to any lounge facility at all.

But where the present terminal at the Pier Head really comes into its own is that walking or taking the Merseyrail into the City Centre is very easy. The new plans do not seem to me to show any pedestrian bridge across the dock entrance linking the new facility to Princes Parade. That leaves pedestrians having to walk around the new access road around the dock in order to get to Waterloo Road and the bus route. Effectively, you would have to walk around a Km before you were back where you would have been at the old Pier Head terminal.

The key thing for a foot passenger is that there is a bridge from the terminal across to Princes Parade.

I can't for one moment believe they wouldn't build a bridge to connect the terminal to Princes Parade, in fact is there not already one of sorts across the old lock gate?

It would be sheer incompetence otherwise. I imagine a linkspan would be fitted into the old West Waterloo lock, one capable of taking a RoRo, maybe up to 150 m in length or more? Plenty of space along the dock for some freight etc.

No freight is to be allowed by Peel Ports except as contingency when Heysham is not able to operate. I don't think they are planning a linkspan within the dock system, rather a floating bridge on the river not unlike the one that is in operation at Pier Head at present, but capable of accommodating the Ben as well the Manannan. The Ben's ramp tends to sink the present pontoon, I understand.

There is some sort of structure across the dock entrance at the moment, but I think that could just be the old lock gates, which probably aren't up to regular use in these safety conscious times.

No freight is to be allowed by Peel Ports except as contingency when Heysham is not able to operate. I don't think they are planning a linkspan within the dock system, rather a floating bridge on the river not unlike the one that is in operation at Pier Head at present, but capable of accommodating the Ben as well the Manannan. The Ben's ramp tends to sink the present pontoon, I understand.

There is some sort of structure across the dock entrance at the moment, but I think that could just be the old lock gates, which probably aren't up to regular use in these safety conscious times.

If Peel Ports won't allow freight from the proposed half-tide dock then they should at least spend some fecking money on keeping Heysham port open & accessible. Fecking shite company.

Agreed. Had the unfortunate experience of going via there a couple of months ago and it's a shite hole. The main concourse floors were unswept & grubby.

and of course it is crawling with scousers.

Hey! That's the self-appointed friendliest city on Earth you're talking about. thumbsup.gif

Hey! That's the self-appointed friendliest city on Earth you're talking about. thumbsup.gif

If Peel Ports won't allow freight from the proposed half-tide dock then they should at least spend some fecking money on keeping Heysham port open & accessible. Fecking shite company.

I'd like to see a linkspan type fitting in the space that's currently filled with mud and crap, but yes I imagine more of a floating pontoon style affair like in Heysham now, and with some facility for some freight to be stored, just in case.

As to Heysham, I wonder what role Holyhead may play in the future. It would certainly make getting to Dublin a bit easier, though obviously getting to Scotland will take a little longer....

Oh yeah, it's absolutely miles. Ffs its a short walk over a bridge.

Edit - that was supposed to be a reply to Woolley complaining about the massive walk to the Ben in Douglas.

Doesn't bother a fit fella like me but think of the codgers.

I'd like to see a linkspan type fitting in the space that's currently filled with mud and crap, but yes I imagine more of a floating pontoon style affair like in Heysham now, and with some facility for some freight to be stored, just in case.

As to Heysham, I wonder what role Holyhead may play in the future. It would certainly make getting to Dublin a bit easier, though obviously getting to Scotland will take a little longer....

Holyhead one day Stranraer/Cairnryan the next, sorted.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived