As Manx as the hills

mojomonkey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any difference in our culture when comparing it to any of our closest neighbours. It's not me trying to be modular.

Therefore there is nothing unique about Manx culture.

The Isle of Man and its people have their own history, language, literature, music, folklore, mythology, art, ecology, micro-evolution, and political economy.

As most other nations do. There is nothing that makes our version of culture stand out amongst the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to demean this place, I just get a bit peeved at the assumption of exclusivity and speciality and my being less interested in what was and more concerned at what will be.

Yessir.

Does Brexit mean even youse comeovers will get the stamp in your passport next year?

No. Most probably the whole kit and caboodle will be blown away when the UK and Isle of Man by extension leave the EU etc and it only applies to people born on the Island(s)..Also five years ordinarily resident in the UK wipes out "that stamp".....But no one knows what the future relationships will be save that most of you will still be British...

I don't see any difference in our culture when comparing it to any of our closest neighbours. It's not me trying to be modular.

The Isle of Man and its people have their own history, language, literature, music, folklore, mythology, art, ecology, micro-evolution, and political economy.

And all of it imported! They go on about Vikings and they were comeovers...Many names are derived from the settlers planted by the Murray family who wanted Scots to tenant the land and farm it...King Orry was a comeover and I am told by Scandinavians that the term "Keys" as in "house of" was an Anglo-Norman corruption of the Norse "Lagman" mean a lawmaker and nothing to do with "the 24"...I am willing pass on this explanation given to me by a Swedish lawyer....But we all think that you are real quaint and amusing even if half scouse. (I have a Manx Gt Gt Grandmother and recently discovered Quggin and Kelly in my (family) tree (The one fell out of!)...So not as Manx as the hills but maybe a minor contour elevation?

What about origins? I'm 'Manx' but my origins (blood) are Scandinavian, Irish/Scots and a tiny bit of southern European. One of my great grandfathers was probably a crewman on board one of the doomed Spanish armada vessels shipwrecked in a great storm off the west coast of Ireland, surviving to put a tail on one of the many flame-haired local lasses and adding his genes in my mix.

Surely this applies to all of us? There sure as fuck ain't no pure Manx bloodline originating from these shores, after all, even those who remained when the tide came in and never went out again came from elsewhere.

It's a saying popular with bone-headed, wall-eyed nationalist yessir's who believe it carries some weight to an argument or whatever; as if it conveys some mysterious and esoteric significance to be considered.

Where is manxie44, anyway?

Firstly, as the Armada was wrecked in the late summer of 1588 your ancestor sailing with it will be much further back than simply a great grandfather. Secondly, I have categoric proof that the Hills are not Manx. They lived next door to me in London decades ago; he was Jewish from Spitalfields and she was a farmers daughter from near Lambourn in Berkshire.

As most other nations do. There is nothing that makes our version of culture stand out amongst the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to demean this place, I just get a bit peeved at the assumption of exclusivity and speciality and my being less interested in what was and more concerned at what will be.

Yessir.

We're both making the same point and just coming at it from different angles, I think? I don't believe in exclusivity, exclusion, or whatever, either. I really don't have any strong views on this subject at all, except I get peeved at people who say we don't exist as a culture. We obviously do. All the arguments for why we don't can be used to deny the existence of every other culture too, to the point that culture doesn't exist anywhere. All culture is ultimately derivative and an amalgamation.

And all of it imported! They go on about Vikings and they were comeovers...Many names are derived from the settlers planted by the Murray family who wanted Scots to tenant the land and farm it...King Orry was a comeover and I am told by Scandinavians that the term "Keys" as in "house of" was an Anglo-Norman corruption of the Norse "Lagman" mean a lawmaker and nothing to do with "the 24"...I am willing pass on this explanation given to me by a Swedish lawyer....But we all think that you are real quaint and amusing even if half scouse. (I have a Manx Gt Gt Grandmother and recently discovered Quggin and Kelly in my (family) tree (The one fell out of!)...So not as Manx as the hills but maybe a minor contour elevation?

Yes, just as all the culture in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Australia, India, Arabia, China, was imported too. Human beings didn't just spontaneously appear with cultures in all of these places. Culture evolved or developed from prehistoric times. To deny Manx people exist, or to suggest "as Manx as the hills" can't be said, is pretty silly. The same argument requires you to deny the existence of any cultures in the world, which is silly.

Archived