As Manx as the hills

mojomonkey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any difference in our culture when comparing it to any of our closest neighbours. It's not me trying to be modular.

Therefore there is nothing unique about Manx culture.

The Isle of Man and its people have their own history, language, literature, music, folklore, mythology, art, ecology, micro-evolution, and political economy.

And all of it imported! They go on about Vikings and they were comeovers...Many names are derived from the settlers planted by the Murray family who wanted Scots to tenant the land and farm it...King Orry was a comeover and I am told by Scandinavians that the term "Keys" as in "house of" was an Anglo-Norman corruption of the Norse "Lagman" mean a lawmaker and nothing to do with "the 24"...I am willing pass on this explanation given to me by a Swedish lawyer....But we all think that you are real quaint and amusing even if half scouse. (I have a Manx Gt Gt Grandmother and recently discovered Quggin and Kelly in my (family) tree (The one fell out of!)...So not as Manx as the hills but maybe a minor contour elevation?

How does Lagman become Keys Bazza?

We Manx are a Norse and Celtic people. Of course that mixture happened well over a thousand years ago. Having a Spanish ancestor wouldn't preclude you being as Manx as the hills at all. Like I said in my previous post, it doesn't pay to over-analyse the term.

Are your family Manx for over a thousand years? Family history is interesting, my mother has done some family tree stuff but struggled to get much further back than 200 years.

Can just about get back to the 1600's (assuming someone who died in 1729 as a grandfather was born then) but records are hard to come by. Can find Watch & Ward records from the 1500's that mention our surname in the same area of the Island.

I remember my geography teacher saying that the hills (drumlins) around Bride weren't very Manx as they were glacial deposits from Scotland.

I don't see any difference in our culture when comparing it to any of our closest neighbours. It's not me trying to be modular.

Therefore there is nothing unique about Manx culture.

The Isle of Man and its people have their own history, language, literature, music, folklore, mythology, art, ecology, micro-evolution, and political economy.

And all of it imported! They go on about Vikings and they were comeovers...Many names are derived from the settlers planted by the Murray family who wanted Scots to tenant the land and farm it...King Orry was a comeover and I am told by Scandinavians that the term "Keys" as in "house of" was an Anglo-Norman corruption of the Norse "Lagman" mean a lawmaker and nothing to do with "the 24"...I am willing pass on this explanation given to me by a Swedish lawyer....But we all think that you are real quaint and amusing even if half scouse. (I have a Manx Gt Gt Grandmother and recently discovered Quggin and Kelly in my (family) tree (The one fell out of!)...So not as Manx as the hills but maybe a minor contour elevation?

How does Lagman become Keys Bazza?

Glory be my boy! 'Twas long time ago many years before you were born and a Swedish lawyer and myself were in the High Court in Douglas..

We got to talking as we all do...John Wright was on his hind legs a lawering and to make the time pass I asked my Swedish friend..."What is a Lockman?"..

He replied, "Why 'twas many moons ago but when we Viking chaps and Norsemen were here we had law makers. They was called "Lagmen"..."And then along came the Anglo-Normans aka the English"

"Well boy they could not understand Lagmen and in their ignorance they said "Lockman"...or "Lockmen"..."But the Lagmen or "Lockmen" made the laws and of them were twenty four sure enough"..."So the English (Anglo-Normans) ignorant as they be saith".

"Why forsooth! A house of Lockmen what makes laws shall be called collectively a "House of Keys"...Geddit? Lockmen/Keys? ..And thus it came to pass that Lockmen and Keys became the House of Keys and the members MHKsw and of the Lagmen or Lockmen well they became the assistants of the Coroners..Such is the stuff of legend!

Apparently, this Lagman/Lockman thing is well known in Norway and Sweden but the Manx still think in terms of Gaelic for "the twenty four"..

"And that is what Daddy did in the Great War children. And mother made thin watery gravy but Aye! It made men of us..."

THE END

PS Google "Lagman"...I did not but you might care to...

Lagman is Lawman or Lawspeaker as in Manx "Breastlaw" which is Scandinavian in origin and that became Anglicised to Lockmen and thus Locks to Keys or House of Keys and thence demotion to Lockmen who assist the Coroners. I give below a link

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwiYbZ3r_PAhWpA8AKHa99Bo0QFggeMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FLawspeaker&usg=AFQjCNFexyBtuZwO8udJOIprVxgI9b96pw&sig2=rDGziYmQzyHqn7_5ONSb4A

I remember my geography teacher saying that the hills (drumlins) around Bride weren't very Manx as they were glacial deposits from Scotland.

That's odd - I had a glacial deposits/drumlin conversation with someone from MNH just the other day (yes, my life is that exciting). They told me that whereas the Bride hills are glacial clay deposits, the only drumlin on the Island (it's something to do with the way the deposit is formed/left behind) is the "Bishop's Belly" opposite the airport roundabout. As for "Scottish bits" I was told that pretty well everything beyond the northern hills (basically north/north west of the TT course) is glacial deposit that wasn't in existence here prior to the last ice age.

I did a little research following the recent dating of the death of the museum's Elk to 14,400 years ago. So is there any solid evidence as to the date the island actually separated and became an island? And what is this I hear about a causeway to Cumbria before final separation? Is there evidence for that.

Nobody has much of a clue about who the majority of their ancestors were or where they came from. Sure we can all mostly trace one particular arbitrary line (typically fathers or a surname). But, for example, we each have 64 4xgreat grandparents and each of those lines is equally relevant.

Archived