The weeks most incompatible news headlines?

BossHogg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek, whilst I'm sure your offer is genuine I don't think much will be achieved by being soft-soaped by a PR guru and reminded what a jolly hard job the boys in blue have. For clarity, I agree it is a tough and important role, and that there are some good and hard-working officers.

My point is that we shouldn't blindly assume that because someone has a warrant card they should not be subjected to scrutiny. I personally think the uniformed officers try to do their best, despite lack of resources and a failure to ensure experience is filtered down.

However, I think there is a serious question mark over the non-uniform areas of the Constabulary which needs urgent and thorough investigation. This isn't about criticising individuals for being appalling at their jobs, it is a fundamental question of justice.

The 'we're only human' argument is too simplistic here. If a shelf-stacker at Tesco gets something wrong, a tin of beans ends up in the pet food aisle - if a detective gets something wrong there is the potential not only for the Constabulary and justice system to be undermined, but for miscarriages of justice and lives being ruined.

As a man of integrity, can you honestly, and publicly, say that you do not feel there are weaknesses within the detective function of Isle of Man Constabulary that give you concern?

Censorship you must be aware of things the rest of us aren't. you say the rot needs to stop but what rot? investigations fail not all crimes are solved police officers are human beings they will make mistakes. at the weekend there was a drink driver who crashed their car and a wounding in a short space of time which was dealt with no fuss. the police are busy and as Derek flint says these posts take a minute to post up do all you want to hear about is doom and gloom?

Okay, let's put this out there...

Can any of our much-loved Constables confirm that there are currently NO internal inquiries into individual officers in relation to their professional conduct in the handling of investigations, witnesses and complainants, and that there are currently NO serving police officers currently subject to criminal investigations?

Derek, whilst I'm sure your offer is genuine I don't think much will be achieved by being soft-soaped by a PR guru and reminded what a jolly hard job the boys in blue have. For clarity, I agree it is a tough and important role, and that there are some good and hard-working officers.

I would argue that there is no PR guru who works for the police. The PR is terrible and makes the police look stupid. From looking for chocolate oranges or dogs attacking birds and all the total crap they put on Tweetbeat. It's clear that whoever is in charge hasn't got a clue how to project the important work they do in a positive light.

Read about the dog that today killed one toddler and left another with life changing injuries .

I doubt there is much correlation between a dog that attacks a swan or a duck (i.e. Doing what a dog is generically programmed to do) and one that kills a child.

Read about the dog that today killed one toddler and left another with life changing injuries .

I doubt there is much correlation between a dog that attacks a swan or a duck (i.e. Doing what a dog is generically programmed to do) and one that kills a child.

Why? Two major correlations would be they're they're small and defenseless.

My point is that we shouldn't blindly assume that because someone has a warrant card they should not be subjected to scrutiny. I personally think the uniformed officers try to do their best, despite lack of resources and a failure to ensure experience is filtered down.

However, I think there is a serious question mark over the non-uniform areas of the Constabulary which needs urgent and thorough investigation. This isn't about criticising individuals for being appalling at their jobs, it is a fundamental question of justice.

The 'we're only human' argument is too simplistic here. If a shelf-stacker at Tesco gets something wrong, a tin of beans ends up in the pet food aisle - if a detective gets something wrong there is the potential not only for the Constabulary and justice system to be undermined, but for miscarriages of justice and lives being ruined.

As a man of integrity, can you honestly, and publicly, say that you do not feel there are weaknesses within the detective function of Isle of Man Constabulary that give you concern?

We're currently in the process of recruiting several experienced detectives from other jurisdictions. I think that - which was first made public around July, probably answers the question. We recognised a skills and experience gap, and did something about it. As with every jurisdiction, there are failings in the process from time to time. That can happen at any stage of it. There is, to counter, some pretty incredible work that goes on that passes widely unsung.

The kettle is always on - come and critique. We've nothing to hide. Apart from the stuff in that secret basement.

Censorship you must be aware of things the rest of us aren't. you say the rot needs to stop but what rot? investigations fail not all crimes are solved police officers are human beings they will make mistakes. at the weekend there was a drink driver who crashed their car and a wounding in a short space of time which was dealt with no fuss. the police are busy and as Derek flint says these posts take a minute to post up do all you want to hear about is doom and gloom?

Okay, let's put this out there...

Can any of our much-loved Constables confirm that there are currently NO internal inquiries into individual officers in relation to their professional conduct in the handling of investigations, witnesses and complainants, and that there are currently NO serving police officers currently subject to criminal investigations?

I don't know to be honest. Why not write in for a freedom of information request and we'll write back. Not sure there are any secrets to be had in the stats.

Archived