The weeks most incompatible news headlines?

BossHogg

[

I don't want to be rude, Derek, but you are the head of the Constabulary's PR and you aren't aware if any serving officer is subject to disciplinary or criminal investigation? I don't wish to sound like I'm trying to teach an old guru new tricks, but maybe you should find out before anything becomes public so you can prepare a strategy?

Unless you do know and just don't want to say, not that the Constabulary would ever be less than honest about the indiscretions of its own. Remember though, the ostrich strategy doesn't always work.

I'm sure that when any officer is under investigation the first thing they probably don't do is bash an email out to all@isleofmanpolice.im advising every officer in the building of the investigation.

Are you sure of that? I'm not, it sounds like a foolish thing to do. However, given the shit storms the Constabulary has endured in the past when disciplinary matters became public, it would seem equally foolish for a senior manager not to think a quick word with the head of PR might be quite a good idea. Still, they've weathered negative publicity in the past and that's just over the stuff we found out about - must be some lumpy carpets up Glencrutchery Road and no doubt the sweepers are in frantic action right now.

You're not bitter are you?

You need to get over whatever it was that happened.

Or stop skirting round the issue and get it down on here what you have to say. You clearly think you know something everyone else should know.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

censorship do you call the banks and ask them how many of their staff are under investigation? fact is if there are any officers under investigation for anything then it's nobodies business other than theirs and hr.

If a serving police officer has been arrested on suspicion of committing a crime, it is nobodies business but their own and HRs? Really? I'll remember that next time I see a police press release or social media post confirming a person has been arrested on suspicion of a crime, giving their gender and age.

To be fair, I haven't called the cop shop to ask have I? I've joined a discussion to which the Constabulary's head of PR has freely contributed and asked a question. If the head of PR for RBS wants to pop onto the forum, I'm sure we'd all have some impertinent questions for them.

Or stop skirting round the issue and get it down on here what you have to say. You clearly think you know something everyone else should know.

I thought I had been quite plain and open - mismanagement of the Constabulary is now so dire that inexperienced officers are having to cope without adequate training and support and important investigatory duties are often not being performed even close to an adequate standard. The result of this is a weakened criminal justice system which will result, and indeed has already, in miscarriages of justice and failures for both victims and those accused of crimes. It isn't a lack of resources, it is about misdirection of resources, weak leadership and a lack of commitment by some of those in office. I believe there are ongoing disciplinary and criminal investigations into serving police officers which are a result of, and symptomatic of, the current state of the Constabulary.

Is that clear enough?

And as for getting over it? Should we just brush it all under the carpet again and say 'lessons have been learned' and let it continue?

censorship do you call the banks and ask them how many of their staff are under investigation? fact is if there are any officers under investigation for anything then it's nobodies business other than theirs and hr.

If a serving police officer has been arrested on suspicion of committing a crime, it is nobodies business but their own and HRs? Really? I'll remember that next time I see a police press release or social media post confirming a person has been arrested on suspicion of a crime, giving their gender and age.

To be fair, I haven't called the cop shop to ask have I? I've joined a discussion to which the Constabulary's head of PR has freely contributed and asked a question. If the head of PR for RBS wants to pop onto the forum, I'm sure we'd all have some impertinent questions for them.

when does that happen? the police will send out a press release saying someone has been arrested but no names are mentioned until after they've appeared in court.

I thought I had been quite plain and open - mismanagement of the Constabulary is now so dire that inexperienced officers are having to cope without adequate training and support and important investigatory duties are often not being performed even close to an adequate standard. The result of this is a weakened criminal justice system which will result, and indeed has already, in miscarriages of justice and failures for both victims and those accused of crimes. It isn't a lack of resources, it is about misdirection of resources, weak leadership and a lack of commitment by some of those in office. I believe there are ongoing disciplinary and criminal investigations into serving police officers which are a result of, and symptomatic of, the current state of the Constabulary.

Is that clear enough?

And as for getting over it? Should we just brush it all under the carpet again and say 'lessons have been learned' and let it continue?

so in one sentence you're saying there's police officers under investigation for criminal offences then in the next sentence you're saying there's mismanagement how can that be? if it was mismanagement surely no investigation would take place and it would be swept under the carpet.

police officers are human some may well commit crimes and some may be investigated but should they be treated any differently to Joe public or should they just be sacked and convicted with no investigation?

Is that clear enough?

What miscarriages of justice?

Are they exclusive to the Isle of Man then?

Let's here what you know? What crimes are serving officers being investigated for?

[

I don't want to be rude, Derek, but you are the head of the Constabulary's PR and you aren't aware if any serving officer is subject to disciplinary or criminal investigation? I don't wish to sound like I'm trying to teach an old guru new tricks, but maybe you should find out before anything becomes public so you can prepare a strategy?

Unless you do know and just don't want to say, not that the Constabulary would ever be less than honest about the indiscretions of its own. Remember though, the ostrich strategy doesn't always work.

I'm sure that when any officer is under investigation the first thing they probably don't do is bash an email out to all@isleofmanpolice.im advising every officer in the building of the investigation.

Are you sure of that? I'm not, it sounds like a foolish thing to do. However, given the shit storms the Constabulary has endured in the past when disciplinary matters became public, it would seem equally foolish for a senior manager not to think a quick word with the head of PR might be quite a good idea. Still, they've weathered negative publicity in the past and that's just over the stuff we found out about - must be some lumpy carpets up Glencrutchery Road and no doubt the sweepers are in frantic action right now.

Yes I'm very sure of that thanks. Because I'm not an idiot. Unlike yourself clearly.

I don't know until I need to know. If an officer is under internal investigation then very few people will know.

Either way, if we need to then we'll put together a strategy. PSD haven't been to see me, if it helps.

Is the same true in relation to officers subject to criminal investigation?

If there is a criminal investigation, then they get charged and go to court if there is sufficient evidence to stand a reasonable prospect of a conviction at court. Same as anyone else.

Is that clear enough?

Have you considered writing to your MHK to have them ask the Minister for Home Affairs some Tynwald questions, or perhaps demand a public enquiry?

As I've said before, we are going through some pretty challenging times, but its certainly not as bad as you describe. Could it be better though? - of course it could, and people are working hard to make it so. we are in a small police force, in a small jurisdiction, that has, for all sorts of reasons, a pattern of staff turnover at all ranks. with reduced budgets to drive training, and mercifully low crime numbers to build experience on, it is inevitable at times that people won't be as rounded or as skilled as they might be in a bigger force when they first take over a role. We are very much alive to that, and we are trying hard to bridge those gaps.

Once again, I'd welcome the opportunity to buy you a brew and develop some clarity.

PR. is the science of saying as little as you get away with. Cafeteria gossip is informed chatter. If you dont know if someone is under investigation, playing away or has a nasty rash. Go to the cafeteria more often.

....but dont take Censorship there, he might overhear enough to confirm his suspicions?

Are these possibly the most incompatible headlines to come out of the local paper this week?

Thin Blue line is far too stretched says Chief Constable

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/thin-blue-line-is-too-stretched-1-8166735

Police looking for the owner of a Terry's chocolate orange

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/police-hunt-for-chocolate-owner-1-8175357

Archived