Food That Do Not Freeze Well

TheDruid-3X3

Awens to All:

The other day, I got a whole bunch of Broccoli that were perfect for Dipping at a Really Cheap Price. So I ate half and Froze the other half for a couple of Weeks.

When I Defrosted them for a Recipe, they had become Limp and Soggy. That was when I discovered that they d0 not Freeze very well.

There are other Foods that do not Freeze Well.

Cheese:

When Thawed after Freezing becomes Brittle and no long Grates or Slices very well and just Crumbles into Chunks.

Tomatoes:

When Thawed after Freezing, they loose all Body and become Little Soggy Water Bombs.

Yogurt:

When Thawed after Freezing becomes a Thin Liquid and is no longer Creamy.

All Meats and Breads Freeze well.

Has anyone else found any other Foods that do not do well with being Preserved by Freezing?

3X3

The broccoli should go straight into boiling water with plenty of salt: no defrost necessary. Better still, steam it, from frozen for 18mins or tender.

Slice peppers before freezing. Onions too. Use straight from the freezer.

Try slicing green beef tomatoes (those big fuckers) into thick slices and freeze the flesh, chilling them beforehand. Cook straight from the freezer, in near-smoking butter with fresh basil.

Delicious.

Mushrooms of any description do not freeze well which is surprising as they're full of water.

Milk. Doesn't endure.

As quilp says, boil Brocoli straight from the freezer.

As for tomatoes, blanch them first. You didn't say why you were frezing them though, a clue would have helped.

Don't freeze milk products, keep cheese cool and the right kind of cheese can be edible for months.

Much of what freezes well depends on three things.

1. Proper preparation and very quick freezing. So blanching , cooling, drying and quick freeze for vegetables or fruit.

2. Fruit and veg with high water content don't freeze well. Slow freezing also causes poor freezing. Reason, the water expands as it freezes and breaks the cell walls. Makes them limp and soggy on defrosting.

3. What you want it for.

Milk freezes just fine as does cream and Greek yoghurt, so do some cheeses, cheddars and semi soft cheeses, butter freezes well also But not crumbly cheeses. Milk, cream or yoghurt may separate and need a stir or even a blast in the blender to homogenise. Tomatoes are fine for cooking and pureeing. Drop frozen tomatoes into hot water for immediatiate de skinning. I freeze grapes and use in drinks instead of ice cubes.

You can freeze just about any food, it just depends what you want to use it for when defrosted and how you freeze it. Some stuff is better cooked before freezing, make a soup or stew out of it, perhaps.

Freeze egg white when you have a recipe that calls for yolks only, then you have the makings of meringue. Save the juices from the roast, cool it and separate the watery juices from the fatty stuff and freeze it for use as stock, and so on.

Even tomatoes can be frozen if cooked to use as a sauce base.

I am trying to think of something that I haven't managed to freeze in one form or another for future use.

Not like my track record with a microwave; take it from one who knows, kidneys don't microwave well (they explode and leave a less than faint urine smell) and eggs aren't great if left in their shell!

Archived