Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

Too many vested interests competing for Government infrastructure spending, then no doubt the monopoly in running it and holding the island to ransom. The politicos and Skelly can’t even come up with a definitive spend from cruise tourists - not taking Government museums, transport and facilities into account. What’s the likely spend on gifts, ice creams, cafes, bacon rolls, pasties and chips, cheese and gravy?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Today’s Sunday Opinion devoted yet again......... yawn, to this subject. Usually Bullshit being bandied around,

Half listening at work here. One guy when telling us about the Isle of Man tourist industry said "what I call the bucket and spade brigade" three times in the same breath. I think we get the idea.

Lots of stuff being said though.

The guy who spoke from Orkney on their cruise industry was interesting.

There may well be something in all this. Anyway:  The Positive Action Group are doing a presentation at the Manx Legion tomorrow night.

Edited by gettafa
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Half listening at work here. One guy when telling us about the Isle of Man tourist industry said "what I call the bucket and spade brigade" three times in the same breath. I think we get the idea.

Lots of stuff being said though.

The guy who spoke from Orkney on their cruise industry was interesting.

There may well be something in all this. Anyway:  The Positive Action Group are doing a presentation at the Manx Legion tomorrow night.

There may be something in all this. However, the taxpayers spent a kings speech/ransom on the airport and the radar, which still isn’t used. We haven’t a good track record on infrastructure projects. I dread to think how much over budget it could go. And we as taxpayers will be exposed to needless risk. To be fair, we may as well give Ramsey Pier the money to refurbish if there is a remote possibility of it being feasible to berth cruiseliners - less of a risk. Food for thought!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

if someone want to build a hotel they find a site and raise the funds

does a harbour facility have to be funded by government ? let private enterprise fund it if they believe their own hype

My thoughts exactly. Huge investment, limited number of business beneficiaries. If they think they will get their ROI then they should form a consortium to put up the money,  this doesn't seem likely to be sensible use of taxpayers' funds. 

• Like 2

"You're missing out the massive privatised space market by not having our own Spaceport and rocket launching sites. It'll cost <insert figure> and you must have it to attract private launches. SpaceX. Elon Musk. Tesla. Imagine yourselves driving around on an island where all the roads were smart roads paved by Elon Musk himself. Hyperloop." says the con artist

Government Idiot: "You're right, we must spunk millions on consultancies. Do you happen to know any?" 

"Why it just so happens I do..." smiles the con artist "It just so happens I do" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Too many vested interests competing for Government infrastructure spending, then no doubt the monopoly in running it and holding the island to ransom. The politicos and Skelly can’t even come up with a definitive spend from cruise tourists - not taking Government museums, transport and facilities into account. What’s the likely spend on gifts, ice creams, cafes, bacon rolls, pasties and chips, cheese and gravy?

I've no idea but you can bet it won't be 40 to 60 million !