Desperately confusing tourism statement ?

hboy

Have we got this desperate?

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/staycation-boom-bumps-up-ferry-figures/

Twice the numbers of Jersey and Guernsey combined?

So lumping it all in perhaps Jersey and Guernsey numbers are well up and ours have actually fallen?

What a completely stupid, apparently desperate, statement to issue (it's Manx radio so clearly no journalism will be involved).

I would guess as it's a really small, cheap, air journey most people go to the Channel Islands by plane and of course TT sailing and vehicle figures will be included for the IOM when no other significant motor event is held in either other Island. So maybe total tourist numbers traveling to each Island would be the proper comparison to make here? I've seldom seen such a deliberately contrived press release to deliver completely confusing, meaningless, information.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is a clear and comprehensive breakdown.

But it isn't. Total visitor numbers is the true reflection of how popular a tourist resort is. Not how many people used an inferior boat service when better, faster, options are available, and when other places don't have a major motor event which means thousands of people have to use a boat to get here.

I think it is a clear and comprehensive breakdown.

What did you learn from it? It just seemed a tad vague. If the figures are up then that's a good thing especially if the rise is due to actual tourism. It doesn't really make that clear...

nice that they found a recent photo too :lol:

What a shame there isn't a Lady of Mann type boat - at least it was relatively reliable.

As regards the news story On Pravda FM, the Government Mouthpiece, it looks like a dick waving contest - the IOM crowing to the Channel Islands we have more tourists than you arriving by sea. Also statistics can be manipulated.

Have we got this desperate?

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/staycation-boom-bumps-up-ferry-figures/

Twice the numbers of Jersey and Guernsey combined?

So lumping it all in perhaps Jersey and Guernsey numbers are well up and ours have actually fallen?

What a completely stupid, apparently desperate, statement to issue (it's Manx radio so clearly no journalism will be involved).

I would guess as it's a really small, cheap, air journey most people go to the Channel Islands by plane and of course TT sailing and vehicle figures will be included for the IOM when no other significant motor event is held in either other Island. So maybe total tourist numbers traveling to each Island would be the proper comparison to make here? I've seldom seen such a deliberately contrived press release to deliver completely confusing, meaningless, information.

The press release doesn't appear on the Discover Ferries website (not that they seem that diligent in sending them out anyway), but from the Manx Radio report the 'achievement' seems fairly limited:

Journeys double Jersey and Guernsey numbers combined
Over half a million passengers traveled to the Island by ferry last year, it's been revealed.
The figures, released by industry body Discover Ferries, also show car passenger numbers are up 1.7 per cent across the British Isles.
Around 177,000 motor vehicles used the Steam Packet - over twice the amount of journeys made to Jersey and Guernsey combined.
It's being attributed to a rise in the popularity of so-called 'staycations'.
Discover Ferries Director Bill Gibbons said it's 'particularly good news for the sector', as more and more Britons take advantage of the 'flexibility, value and freedom of a break by sea'.

You'll notice that a 1.7% increase is hardly massive, and using the word 'staycation' hardly seems justified when it involved longer sea voyages than a trip to France would seems odd. I suppose 'buggeredbecauseBrexitmadetheeurotooexpensivecation' would be a bit long.

And of course the comparison with the Channel Islands is on vehicles, not on overall passengers. Although the number of bikes coming for TT may be less than some people think (it was 14,055 in 2015), it certainly makes a big percentage of those 177,000 and that's before you add in the associated cars, vans and traffic associated with other bike events (MGP, Southern 100 and so on).

So I thought I'd look at the passenger figures for 2015 from the UK Department for Transport for the ferries (the provisional 2016 won't be out till later in the month, though I assume that Discover Ferries may have been using data from the ferry companies) and the CAA figures for the air passengers:

(all figures 2005 2015 Change)

Isle of Man

Air 796562 776383 -2.5%

Sea 548000 538000 -1.8%

Total 1344562 1314383 -2.2%

Jersey

Air 1410844 1510784 7.1%

Guernsey

Air 860606 856271 -0.5%

Total Air 2271450 236705 5 4.2%

Jersey/Guernsey (figures are combined because ferries call at both)

Sea 374000 302000 -19.3%

All CI 2645450 2669055 0.9%

(Edited to reformat table etc)

Maybe they can get the new superyacht Quintessentially to call in at the Isle of Man for the TT after has been to Cannes for the film festival and Abu Dhabi for the F1 Grand Prix.

That would up the numbers a bit.

And if they are paying £2,000 a night surely the passengers would be quite happy to buy he odd keyring and T shirt in Douglas.

Archived