'Serious' GP shortage on horizon

Douglas Prom

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with the peel lot and can't complain about their service at all. They text you to remind you of your appointment time and you can even register online to book your own at times convenient to you. You do have to wait a good 5-7 days tho.

You only need to take a look around to see the consequences of selfish, over-indulgence. The consequences to health, and the dangers involved medically on the individual, and financially to the tax-payer, shows a massive gap in the perception of the individual and that education about healthy-living isn't working. There can be no excuse for obesity and the many health problems caused by it: nor cardio-respiratory defects through smoking and associated mental and physical syndromes brought about by the demon drink. Except poor personal choices and really, that's no excuse.

Recently, GP's were encouraged to be more exacting when it came to handing out advice about personal responsibilities but one GP remarked that people don't want to be told that whatever ails them is because they're fat (for instance) and that losing it would be the best medicine; some type 2 diabetics are a prime example. Or smokers with chronic bronchitis, the ruddy-faced-just-about-coping in-denial alcoholic habitually lying about his /her intake to the dreamy-eyed junkie staring at his shoes. Some patients were apparently insulted and complained when faced with a 'home-truths' diagnosis of their plight.

What price wilful self-denial?

Clearly the only bad choice you ever made in your life was supporting Brexit! But that probably shows deep rooted mental health issues be quite honest.

You only need to take a look around to see the consequences of selfish, over-indulgence. The consequences to health, and the dangers involved medically on the individual, and financially to the tax-payer, shows a massive gap in the perception of the individual and that education about healthy-living isn't working. There can be no excuse for obesity and the many health problems caused by it: nor cardio-respiratory defects through smoking and associated mental and physical syndromes brought about by the demon drink. Except poor personal choices and really, that's no excuse.

Recently, GP's were encouraged to be more exacting when it came to handing out advice about personal responsibilities but one GP remarked that people don't want to be told that whatever ails them is because they're fat (for instance) and that losing it would be the best medicine; some type 2 diabetics are a prime example. Or smokers with chronic bronchitis, the ruddy-faced-just-about-coping in-denial alcoholic habitually lying about his /her intake to the dreamy-eyed junkie staring at his shoes. Some patients were apparently insulted and complained when faced with a 'home-truths' diagnosis of their plight.

What price wilful self-denial?

Totally agree.

How do you know I supported Brexit? What I was in full support of was a nation voting with its heart, which you claim is delusional. Until the deal over Europe is done all your incessant, neurotic doom-mongering means fuck-all and amounts to nowt.

Other than that I've made some humdingingly poor choices in my life but learnt from them. All it took was being honest with myself.

You really are a weak, assuming individual.

How do you know I supported Brexit? What I was in full support of was a nation voting with its heart, which you claim is delusional. Until the deal over Europe is done all your incessant, neurotic doom-mongering means fuck-all and amounts to nowt.

Other than that I've made some humdingingly poor choices in my life but learnt from them. All it took was being honest with myself.

You really are funny. An angry baby boomer bashing out crap on an Internet forum. I'd watch my blood pressure if I was you. You really don't want to be having a coronary and proving yourself wrong about bad health habits.

Patient pressures: also a difficult one. The most common group of conditions I see day-to-day is low level mental health problems: not people who are suicidal, or who think there are aliens in their kitchen, but people who are anxious, unhappy, suffering workplace stress

You mean people who don't work for government and who are stressed about having to live in the real world?

@balladoc...

How do you view a hard-line approach to those you strongly suspect are chronic malingerers or not heeding professional advice? I suppose you can harp on all you like with some stubborn individuals and know you can never make a difference.

Thankless task it must be at times...

You really are funny. An angry baby boomer bashing out crap on an Internet forum. I'd watch my blood pressure if I was you. You really don't want to be having a coronary and proving yourself wrong about bad health habits.

How vain, the earthworm...

Patient pressures: also a difficult one. The most common group of conditions I see day-to-day is low level mental health problems: not people who are suicidal, or who think there are aliens in their kitchen, but people who are anxious, unhappy, suffering workplace stress

You mean people who don't work for government and who are stressed about having to live in the real world?

Actually, yes. I don't see many people in Government jobs who are stressed, but I do see a disproportionate number from the financial services industry.

Actually, yes. I don't see many people in Government jobs who are stressed, but I do see a disproportionate number from the financial services industry.

Just the ones who say they are. thumbsup.gif

I have little doubt there is some truth in that. Government workers only seem to get stressed when they can't fit 5 hours work into a working week.

Archived