'Serious' GP shortage on horizon

Douglas Prom

This isn't a problem that is unique to the Isle of Man. The UK is in the same position and many of the courses are taken up by foreign students paying upfront.

In my view we should take the initiative here and fund local people's qualifications to become doctors. With a condition that they must practice in the Isle of Man until that support has been repaid.

It could be advanced to them in a similar manner to the funding in the UK. Interest free perhaps and then repayable at a certain rate based on salary.

I think the issue is cost. Not a lack of desire for people to work in medicine. It needs a push at schools in and around GCSE/A Level and then encourage those smart students that have a desire to take it on. With proper support.

In the long run it would actually save us a lot of money.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

problems

For the individual ............at Medical School 5 years study -generally regarded as tough course. Some drop out . costly

Then 1 years work in hospitals before becoming registered .Tough .poor pay

another 3 years before earliest to get onto GP practice.Pay good but paying back loans.

Job found to be very stressful for many.GP job not attractive to graduates.low application rates

For the country .................... some who qualify never go on to a career in medicine , emigrate, have a family / go part time -lots of

reasons. but the end result ...posts unfilled.

The large no. of Indian/Pakistani doctors that came and that eased the problem in the 60s onwards? -

retiring and fewer are coming into the country

Because of the length of time to train, any change implemented takes a long time to become manifest

ie as yer doc might say,"it will get worse before it starts to get better"

If it means more people self studying about health and then acting on it then it might not be such a bad thing.

That depends on how intelligent the person is.

I had a slightly infected toenail a while back so googled it to see what I could do.

Several sights said it was really serious and stemmed from serious heart failure and, more or less, advised me not to bother buying any new shirts. ohmy.png

How many people would take this sort of site seriously ?

There's no accounting for idiots but for your average person to learn a bit more about his or her own body and start to treat it with a bit of respect it surely can't be a bad thing.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal responsibility.

It's as easy to drink a pint of lemon water first thing as a large cup of coffee but people choose not to. It's as easy to have a fruit salad for breakfast as a bacon sandwich. Chicken salad for tea as pie and chips. Cup of tea or a glass of wine. Walk the dogs for an hour or watch Emmerdale and then Corrie.....

You can't force people to do things that will help them but you can make them pay for not carrying them out. As much as I never used to agree with healthcare coming at an additional cost I'm fast coming to that way of thinking.

Erm .... having an apparently" healthy "lifestyle is commendable but does is not guarantee against getting ill unfortunately and there would be a problem trying to say Mr X has got say , pancreatic cancer or colon cancer or had a stroke because of his poor intake of certain foods or lifestyle - and even more so deciding how he should be "made to pay", especially when Mr Y has done all the healthy things but ends up getting the same dreaded malignant disease ....

More importantly , this approach would do nothing to address the problem of lack if doctors

Erm .... having an apparently" healthy "lifestyle is commendable but does is not guarantee against getting ill unfortunately and there would be a problem trying to say Mr X has got say , pancreatic cancer or colon cancer or had a stroke because of his poor intake of certain foods or lifestyle - and even more so deciding how he should be "made to pay", especially when Mr Y has done all the healthy things but ends up getting the same dreaded malignant disease ....

More importantly , this approach would do nothing to address the problem of lack if doctors

There are a number of indicators that would suggest Mr X hasn't been living a life as healthily as he could have been.

Of course people can and will get cancer and other degenerative diseases from other factors other than lifestyle. However the risk of such things occurring and the inability of the body to self repair from them is increased if lifestyle and diet is neglected.

There is no hard and fast approach which is bulletproof, but the current system isn't working and we must start to push back responsibility onto the individual in order to ease the pressure on our over-burdened GP's and health service.

As regards waiting lists on the Island to see your GP if this quarterly forum did not take place...

IN PATIENTS TIME

That would give (forgive my maths !!)

A extra two days of appointments and if each doctor actually worked an eight hour day that would give an extra

96 appointments per doctor.

Waiting list my arse..

Just a thought Doctors..Have your trade union meetings in your own time..

And the same goes for teachers that other "overworked profession" have your inset days in your own time maybe even your extensive 13 week holidays...

Archived