'Serious' GP shortage on horizon

Douglas Prom

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, hboy said:

It's hard when you're not well though isn't it? You want to see a Doctor even if pills are available. 

Yes but the point Albert was making was getting in touch with the ones who don't visit very often to give them a 'health check' to head off any issues further down the line. Which in all likelihood will result in the premature prescription of some blood pressure tablets, statins and maybe some anti-depressants. All with side effects which will require some more pills further down the line. 

No-one likes to be told their lifestyle is causing their ailments so popping a pill is much more preferable, even though it doesn't solve the problem.

20 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Yes but the point Albert was making was getting in touch with the ones who don't visit very often to give them a 'health check' to head off any issues further down the line. Which in all likelihood will result in the premature prescription of some blood pressure tablets, statins and maybe some anti-depressants. All with side effects which will require some more pills further down the line. 

No-one likes to be told their lifestyle is causing their ailments so popping a pill is much more preferable, even though it doesn't solve the problem.

But I don't get Alberts point as surely they should be focusing on the people who are not well and who know they are not well? Not the people who for whatever reason feel they don't need to see a Doctor? I mean if you think you're not well then you're not well, and you're going to go and visit the Drs surgery come what may as you know you're fundamentally not well. Those people who genuinely are not well won't be fobbed off with pills as opposed to a Drs appointment either will they? What you want is some sort of well man clinic for those people to pop into as they're the ones who think they are well to start with and don't need to see a Doctor. But when you're not well nothing is going to stop you wanting to see a Doctor surely? 

8 minutes ago, hboy said:

But I don't get Alberts point as surely they should be focusing on the people who are not well? Not the people who for whatever reason feel they don't need to see a Doctor? I mean if you think you're not well then you're not well, and you're going to go and visit the Drs surgery come what may as you know you're fundamentally not well surely? Those people who genuinely are not well won't be fobbed off with pills as opposed to a Drs appointment either will they? 

I agree. I was just trying to outline why Albert's suggestion doesn't actually achieve anything.

3 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I agree. I was just trying to outline why Albert's suggestion doesn't actually achieve anything.

Perhaps he's not particularly well either as it's a flawed idea. 

Proactive healthcare is a double edged sword for the health service as the mere act of screening is going to create at least some demand. A case in point is the current endoscopy backlog on the Island. They are screening over sixties for bowel cancer symptoms by sending out home DIY kits. This is creating a scutch of demand because naturally a percentage are coming back positive and then need investigating. If you are going to set off a process that will increase throughput, you need to ensure you have the resources in place to cope.

I have a friend who is a GP and he told me that if you expect to see your doctor on time you are on a hiding to nothing. All down to reduced number of GP's  and those that are left expected to take up the patients of those doctors that have left. They did have on GP in the practice that was an ex-army doctor. He was fantastic. Soon got rid of the weekly social visitors to the practice

Archived