'Serious' GP shortage on horizon

Douglas Prom

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the government need to pull their finger out and do something then!

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/serious-gp-shortage-on-horizon/

What can they do? Let's face it the reason why is that they fucked the pension's up under GUS and have got them retiring / leaving in their droves, and many of the qualified professionals can't be arsed dealing with the muppets that control the Manx public sector anymore as it's like banging their heads against a wall of incompetence. Government would be best doing nothing rather than risking fucking it up even more than it's been fucked up by government already by trying to do something else.

Time they started fines for missed appointments- 160 missed appointments at my GPs last month, it was just over 100 a few years ago. Difficult to get an appointment yet 40 a week missed. Make it a £30 fine and u will soon see a reduction.

Would you object to paying for the hospital taxi service in Liverpool or calling the 999 Ambulance

This is not an isolated IOM issue - every week in the British Medical Journal there are pieces about the GP crisis in the UK, with GPs over there retiring early, and the impossibility of filling all the GP training posts.

What needs to happen is for the jobs here to be made more attractive than they are in the UK. It's not all about pay - far from it - having a better work-life balance here would do a lot of it, as would not trying to squeeze every last drop of work out of GPs with a target culture while allowing them more time than the usual 10 minutes to see patients. And improved admin support. Reciprocity of pension transfers would also help, but that ship has probably sailed, unfortunately.

It is seriously grim even now trying to get an appointment!

If you are feeling bad, the last thing you want to be doing is joining the lottery of getting someone to answer the phone at 8am in the hope of an appointment that day!

With an increasingly ageing population, this is just going to get worse.

This is not an isolated IOM issue - every week in the British Medical Journal there are pieces about the GP crisis in the UK, with GPs over there retiring early, and the impossibility of filling all the GP training posts.

What needs to happen is for the jobs here to be made more attractive than they are in the UK. It's not all about pay - far from it - having a better work-life balance here would do a lot of it, as would not trying to squeeze every last drop of work out of GPs with a target culture while allowing them more time than the usual 10 minutes to see patients. And improved admin support. Reciprocity of pension transfers would also help, but that ship has probably sailed, unfortunately.

Very true, I often feel that I am a hindrance when visiting my GP, they seem to be well over worked and I don't feel that I have joined up care in view of the injuries and consequent illnesses I suffer!.

They should put you in charge, wrighty. You could be our clinical ambassador and enthuse to prospective medics how wonderful the quality of life is.

Surely there's a case for making more use of nurse-practitioners? Pharmacist's have a role to play also.

But so does the general population, in people taking more responsibility for their own health and fitness.

They should put you in charge, wrighty. You could be our clinical ambassador and enthuse to prospective medics how wonderful the quality of life is.

Surely there's a case for making more use of nurse-practitioners? Pharmacist's have a role to play also.

But so does the general population, in people taking more responsibility for their own health and fitness.

Nail on head.

Practices full of wimps with sore toes or coughs. ( and people begging for sick notes )

If it means more people self studying about health and then acting on it then it might not be such a bad thing.

That depends on how intelligent the person is.

I had a slightly infected toenail a while back so googled it to see what I could do.

Several sights said it was really serious and stemmed from serious heart failure and, more or less, advised me not to bother buying any new shirts. ohmy.png

How many people would take this sort of site seriously ?

It is seriously grim even now trying to get an appointment!

If you are feeling bad, the last thing you want to be doing is joining the lottery of getting someone to answer the phone at 8am in the hope of an appointment that day!

With an increasingly ageing population, this is just going to get worse.

I am pitiful at the moment, I tried to make an appointment to see the doctor last week (after having symptoms for 10 days & performing various witch doctor healing rituals), it took me 1 hour to get through, then I was informed by the reception person that I did not need to see a doctor. So I went to see the nurse and she was nice enough but she sent me packing, saying "Come back in 5 days if its not better.". This week has been quite unpleasant, I'm tired, I'm sick and I'm carrying on (like the brave soldier I am...not! I'm full of drama, virtually dead) to add to the misery I also have toothache, I don't even know if it's an infection in the tooth or my mouth generally that is causing me problems. Today it took me an hour and a half to get through to the doctors, I am lucky my boss is understanding. I'm so fed up, I'm sick and I hurt all I want is someone to help me, see? Pitiful :)

They need to relax the laws about prescribing, let chemists give people what ever they want (at their own risk ofc and within reason).

Archived