'Serious' GP shortage on horizon

Douglas Prom

Why can you not get a Doctors appointment anytime during the day...

Just what are those hard working £100k minimum people doing...

They make me ill but it will be ten days before I can see one...

Yes, I think GPs would be a little peeved if they went to the filling station / shop / pub / bow tie shop and found that they only worked 4 1/2 days per week and they had to make an appointment for 2 weeks next Tuesday to get in.

It's heading for a 24/7 world and some folk need to get on board.

This is not a valid comparison. For a start, most small businesses are not open 24/7. I would not be able to visit my local bow tie shop at 7.30am before work, or at 7pm after work. There are outlets that are open longer hours and ones that open 7 days a week because it is financially viable for them to do so. It would be a fair comparison if you had a contract with your local filling station, or convenience store, whereby you paid them a set amount of money a year (say £120) and for that you could visit them as often as you liked and fill up your car, or do your shopping, without any additional charge. If that were the case, I suspect that they would not be open 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have a dog, and the pet insurance that allows me to visit the vet as often as necessary costs about 3 times the amount paid to a GP to look after a patient for a year. I guess it is a question of priorities!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can you not get a Doctors appointment anytime during the day...

Just what are those hard working £100k minimum people doing...

They make me ill but it will be ten days before I can see one...

Yes, I think GPs would be a little peeved if they went to the filling station / shop / pub / bow tie shop and found that they only worked 4 1/2 days per week and they had to make an appointment for 2 weeks next Tuesday to get in.

It's heading for a 24/7 world and some folk need to get on board.

This is not a valid comparison. For a start, most small businesses are not open 24/7. I would not be able to visit my local bow tie shop at 7.30am before work, or at 7pm after work. There are outlets that are open longer hours and ones that open 7 days a week because it is financially viable for them to do so. It would be a fair comparison if you had a contract with your local filling station, or convenience store, whereby you paid them a set amount of money a year (say £120) and for that you could visit them as often as you liked and fill up your car, or do your shopping, without any additional charge. If that were the case, I suspect that they would not be open 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have a dog, and the pet insurance that allows me to visit the vet as often as necessary costs about 3 times the amount paid to a GP to look after a patient for a year. I guess it is a question of priorities!

Your dog insurance should also cover all medicines and operations and stuff.

Whats your golden solution hamster?

I cant provide one - and no one else will be able to start to provide one until

1 the problem is acknowledged as existing

As recently as yesterday the president of the Royal College of GP visited the Island and use the word "crisis". describing the situation.This might at least help Gov focus.

2identify the specific areas that may be resposible

there is no shortage of data/surveys but in summary it is

increased workload and increased demands from patients

increased beaurocratic demands -to produce documentation , forms ,appraisals, revaldations ,targets reports.. from NHS.

fear of complaints and litigation

So answers?

1recruitment- improve the way jobs are advertised.We are competing with other areas, remember

2rentention.Retirees are not encouraged to stay at present and beaurocratic requirements make it almost impossible to do locum work to help out.Remove the obstacles for this.

3Slash the beaurocratic demands from NHS for endless useless paperwork.

4keep the job interesting.More patient contact less foms meetings management etc.Encourage docs to follow special interests so a practice will have several docs with different special interests -patients can avoid hospital referrals and long waits.

No, I dont think so. Money does not appear to be the issue -that is why I did not list it

My reasoning is that money does not seem to appear in the various "job satisfaction" type surveys that I saw.

cue I suppose for: " they would say that ,wouldn't they?"

It's about making working as a GP in the Isle of Man more attractive than the UK, which is where we get the majority of our GP's from. At the moment General Practice is not an attractive option for doctors in either place due to chronic under investment as a result of any 'extra' money for health always being used to shore up hugely expensive Secondary Care. (You don't have to look far back to see exactly that on the Isle of Man. £11.5 million bale out for Nobles which is, coincidentally, almost exactly the same as the total Primary Care budget for the year). The under investment has been at a time when workload has steadily increased for a variety of reasons - advances in health care, ageing population, increased paperwork, and now the latest political imperative to move as much care as possible from Secondary to Primary Care.

So in the end it is about money, but not necessarily the amount of money that an individual GP can earn. Clearly, it is going to be difficult to attract GP's if they can earn the same amount whilst looking after fewer patients in the UK (as is the case at present), but equally important is how attractive the job is in the brave new world of Primary Care led health services. That means more Nurse Practitioners, Community Nurses, Counsellors, Community Pharmacists etc etc (and yes quite possibly more GP's) so that the increasing work can be properly managed rather than the constant fire fighting that goes on now. Unless someone knows of a whole lot of these health professionals who are prepared to come and work for nothing, that will require money.......but sadly there isn't any because Nobles has gobbled it all up. As it currently stands, GP's are fed up of endlessly repeating these arguments to their paymasters with no effect, and are keeping their heads down and working out how soon they can afford to retire.

Ironically, the state of things in the UK isn't that much better and it probably wouldn't take all that much to make the Isle of Man appear a more attractive destination for GP's, and the amount of money required would be considerably less than the amount that is required each year to keep Nobles from going bust.

Nobles will never go bust. How you work that out is a mystery...

I agree with you that Nobles will never go bust. It can't be allowed to happen. Hence the bale out this year, even though after last year's bale out Tynwald was quite clear that they would be very unhappy to do so again.

But following this year's £11.5m they have been given an £8 million 'cost saving' programme that in reality they can never achieve so they will overspend again......and they will be baled out again (or they will be allowed by Government to run a deficit, which may be politically more acceptable, but it amounts to the same thing). Either way I suspect that they will consume any extra money that there is, leaving no money to invest in Primary Care - the same Primary Care that is expected to take on all the work that Nobles wants to stop doing. It is a perfect example of a 'vicious circle'

Nobles will never go bust. How you work that out is a mystery...

I agree with you that Nobles will never go bust. It can't be allowed to happen. Hence the bale out this year, even though after last year's bale out Tynwald was quite clear that they would be very unhappy to do so again.

But following this year's £11.5m they have been given an £8 million 'cost saving' programme that in reality they can never achieve so they will overspend again......and they will be baled out again (or they will be allowed by Government to run a deficit, which may be politically more acceptable, but it amounts to the same thing). Either way I suspect that they will consume any extra money that there is, leaving no money to invest in Primary Care - the same Primary Care that is expected to take on all the work that Nobles wants to stop doing. It is a perfect example of a 'vicious circle'

It just needs a proper budget.

Archived