Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

PAC are investigating and no doubt part of their finding will be that, "Lessons will be Learned". The ever-ready edict, trotted out on every previous occasion when there has been a huge overspend on a project. And yet......

It's sobering to think that NASA have probably built facilities at Cape Canaveral for less than we've spent at Half Tide Dock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with what you say. But you can't hold someone to account any more than asking them to leave or sacking them. We don't know the circumstances of Black's departure. Suspect he was pushed. Baker was not reelected and others had gone anyway.

Are you suggesting a week in the stocks for them all? It’s a nice thought but unlikely to be legal these days. 

No stocks. When the public’s money is spent there should be a proper and public explanation of the process and decision making involved in poor outcomes. Government thinks that it is their money but everything they do is on our behalf, or that’s how it should be. Just smudging over the details and making fluffy statements is not good enough. I don’t think we need punishment but just the ability to know who has done well or badly with the money gathered from us and for us. I know that is idealistic but that doesn’t make it impossible to do. 
If transparency was the norm, perhaps a bit more care and expert judgement might accompany high value investments of public funds. Maybe even, a bit more care in choosing the right people with the right expertise to make those judgements. I have more hope than expectation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never been convinced that IOM Government realise it is not "Government" money, but money earned by hardworking people with which they play fast and loose !

Symptomatic was Teares remark during the film debacle, when funds generated by " Government investment" became "not actually public money", he never did respond when asked whose money was it then ? Of course he championed the phrase " commercially confidential" which is a great cover blanket for financial mistakes and lack of scrutiny.

Until the use of public money is made transparent and accountable to those whose money it is, mistakes and profligacy will continue. A simple rule of thumb to me would be 'if it can't be made largely public in its entirety, then we shouldn't be doing it'. I accept of course that there will be elements of commercial sensitivity but that should not be the norm whenever anyone seeks to explore the probity of public investment.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I see Morecambe are getting a biosphere for £100 million

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-63952492

And you got a metal shed on a river for about the same amount.............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-36847713

WOW, just WOW.

Seriously, people should be locked up for that, "Where You Can"

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

I see Morecambe are getting a biosphere for £100 million

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-63952492

And you got a metal shed on a river for about the same amount.............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-36847713

WOW, just WOW.

Seriously, people should be locked up for that, "Where You Can"

Excuse me, it's a metal and glass shed.

Never mind, every taxpayer on the Isle of Man can have a warm, fuzzy, charitable feeling that each in some small way has probably funded construction and home improvement projects right across Merseyside...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1