Brexit - Chief Minister Howard Quayle's saviour

gettafa

Well the Isle of Man is in the doodah, not from Brexit, not from ISIS, not from anything other than what it has developed itself - the public sector pensions massive blackhole.

In that matter Howard don't have no clue what to do,

..but hey, there's this thing called Brexit that no one in the World knows what to do, and so Howard is joing them, and with a chance to jet off to London whenever he can and be important. At least by being involved in a rather nebulus subject, his inadequacies might not get found out.

Every man and his dog down the pub has an opinion on Brexit. It's like a glorious dog poo and potholes subject, one we can all have our say and sound important.

Brexit bullshit.

Former Minister Chris Robertshaw sums it up nicely here, in an interview with Manx Radio.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather he completely ignored Brexit and buried his head in the sand until it's all over. Then when the British economy is totally fucked and Article 3 has ceased to exist, he could pop up and say "oh what a shame! Lessons have been learned and nobody was to blame".

Whatever Howard does he's fucked. Try and be proactive on the subject. People whinge like fuck. Do nothing about Brexit and people moan like fuck. It's all fucked up.

I agree with Douglas Prom. Quayle is likely going be be fucked over Brexit if it goes wrong so I doubt he's raising it as a convenient excuse in advance. I assume he's raised it as, aside from the government pension issue, it's the single most important issue he'll have to deal with which could very seriously impact on the IOM economy. On the government pension scheme he's already on record as saying it is a "Ponzi scheme" from his first term as MHK, a claim I think he repeated to Lisvane as part of his response. I think his views are pretty clear.

Dog 🐶 Shit, Chewing Gum and Potholes has a ready made expert in David Ashford, and a few others in the supporting cast. As much as I profoundly disagree with Robertshaw, he has a ☝️. I am not saying that Howard Quayle shouldn't not be concerned about Brexit, but in all reality we are bound by the UK decisions. also the UK will just laugh at the IOM, and its concerns. Scotland thinks it can hold the UK 🇬🇧 to ransom with its independent referendum threat. Scotland has something- the Island 🌴 has nothing of real use to the UK.

Well the Isle of man is in the doodah, not from Brexit, not from ISIS, not from anything other than what it has developed itself - the public sector pensions massive blackhole.

In that matter Howard don't have no clue what to do,

..but hey, there's this thing called Brexit that no one in the World knows what to do, and so Howard is joing them, and with a chance to jet off to London whenever he can and be important. At least by being involved in a rather nebulus subject, his inadequacies might not get found out.

Every man and his dog down the pub has an opinion on Brexit. It's like a glorious dog poo and potholes subject, one we can all have our say and sound important.

Brexit bullshit.

Former Minister Chris Robertshaw sums it up nicely here, in an interview with Manx Radio.

Can't stand Robertshaw's 'sincere' voice.

And he acts as if he's the only person who can see that the emperor is wearing no clothes.

It is likely to be the single most important issue that he will deal with, not that there is actually much he can do about it. Apart from maybe hope for a few crumbs to fall our way from the Westminster table.

Whatever does (or does not) replace Article 3 will be key to the Island's future prospects for trade and commerce. Putting aside the rights and wrongs of leave/remain, The next two years could totally transform the future of the Island, for better or worse.

Quayle would be stupid to ignore other subjects such as the pensions blackhole/budget deficit/out of control health department. But in a sense, they will all be affected to some extent by the outcome of Brexit for the Island.

A poor Brexit resolution could be the biggest nail in Quayle's time as CM.

We don't know what our position will be regarding Brexit until the UK know what their position will be. Even then we will be in a reactive position, particularly if what remaining advantages we have for business are swallowed up.

I think we should be using the time we have to improve the island as a place to visit, live and relocate to re the long misplaced destination report!

What would be a "poor Brexit resolution"?

What circumstances might the UK and the Island find themselves in?

A poor Brexit resolution would be one that makes trade really difficult with the EU. The EU will after all be the world's second largest economy post-Brexit.

Any circumstances are possible. We could have open access to the single market or we may have no access at all/WTO rules. It's all up in the air.

What would be a "poor Brexit resolution"?

What circumstances might the UK and the Island find themselves in?

Oh please stop your sad repititive Brexit shit stirring. Even Douglas Prom said "Whatever does happen" the Island could be transformed "For better or worse". Nobody was stating any outcome or circumstances just the nature of the uncertainty either way and why, because of that, Quayle is right to prioritize it.

It might have been more accurate to pull them up on "Protocol 3" and not "Article 3" as that was actually factually incorrect rather than using the post as yet another excuse for some tired old controversial shite post about your views on Brexit.

On the government pension scheme he's already on record as saying it is a "Ponzi scheme" from his first term as MHK, a claim I think he repeated to Lisvane as part of his response. I think his views are pretty clear.

Well, now he is Chief Minister, has he the intellectual capacity to wield his power, or does he need too much of the the pampering and moral support of his civil servants amd their mates? Those guys are class acts when it comes to looking after the elected, and on an issue such this, I don't think you'll ever hear Howard mention the phrase 'Ponzi scheme' ever again.

Now...about this Brexit thingy.....

On the government pension scheme he's already on record as saying it is a "Ponzi scheme" from his first term as MHK, a claim I think he repeated to Lisvane as part of his response. I think his views are pretty clear.

Well, now he is Chief Minister, has he the intellectual capacity to wield his power, or does he need too much of the the pampering and moral support of his civil servants amd their mates? Those guys are class acts when it comes to looking after the elected, and on an issue such this, I don't think you'll ever hear Howard mention the phrase 'Ponzi scheme' ever again.

Now...about this Brexit thingy.....

Well his Ponzi Scheme comments are on Hansard I'm pretty sure. He can't with a clear conscience change his view having declared that.

Aye, Tynwald 21st February 2012, Line 1539 has the Ponzi Schem phrase.

Someone needs to read that speech out to Howard. Some interesting bits in there.

....This is not a pension scheme, it is a Ponzi scheme and sooner or later it will collapse. It will collapse, because each year the £2 billion debt will get larger and, until we take the bull by the horns and do something, this Budget does not even take the first steps along the road towards addressing these major issues regarding public sector pensions....

Howard is now the prize bullfighter, the maestro, the matador de toros

Brexit bullshit.

And yet if you look at the question that Robertshaw put down for Tuesday's Keys, it is:

2. The Hon. Member for Douglas East (Mr Robertshaw) to ask the Chief Minister –

Further to his Statement that Brexit is the biggest challenge to this administration, whether it is his intention that this matter is debated in Tynwald as soon as possible?

So he's basically complaining that it isn't important and then asking why they're not talking about it.

Admittedly, if I were Howard Quayle, I'd be quite pleased that I had discovered a topic on which everyone else was as clueless as I was.

Archived