Brexit - Chief Minister Howard Quayle's saviour

gettafa

Aye, that's Robertshaw all over. When he was seeking attention as a backbencher he ripped the arse out of the IRIS project including some dodgy looking £million black holes (all detailed in a lengthy and informative speech on Hansard).

A couple of years later a motin was put to Tynwald for the Public Finance Committee (or similar, I can't be arsed looking) look into the IRIS Project....but Robertshaw (by this time a Minister and sucking on the teat big time) voted against.

His theatricals a coupl eof years previous had got him where he wanted to be.

A man of many faces, depending on how the wind is blowing for him.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for the first and probably not for the last time but I think Robertshaw is wrong. Equally I have my suspicions that this is all about Robertshaw trying to appear as the one who has the answers and creating media coverage for himself. I expect that if Quayle had not been concentrating on Brexit chances are Robertshaw would popped up in the media to argue entirely the opposite position.

That is not to disagree with Robertshaw that solving the budget deficit and pension issues are not serious. They are and

the sooner they are dealt with the better. However there appear to be other member of the Government looking and all that delaying the matter does is make it slightly harder to resolve when the time comes. This is not a new issue it is a problem the last Government should have resolved rather than kick down the road, but as the last two Governments have shown it can be kicked down the road and picked up again all be it each time the problem is a little bit worse.

Brexit on the other hand is a one off with a set timescale. If we miss the boat we cannot get on the next one and catch up later. Ok there is probably not a lot the IoM can do with regard to Brexit but we have to keep banging on the door to remind the UK not to forget us as they did last time when we added on as an afterthought via protocol 3.

If we get shafted over Brexit then it may be impossible to solve the deficit and pension issues whether we address now or in a year or twos times and this is why I agree that Quayle is right that Brexit is the most important issue. Get it wrong and we are in big trouble and no chance to revisit. Getting the pension or deficit issues wrong now would not be great but it would be a matter set it stone that could not be corrected.

Aye, Tynwald 21st February 2012, Line 1539 has the Ponzi Schem phrase.

Someone needs to read that speech out to Howard. Some interesting bits in there.

....This is not a pension scheme, it is a Ponzi scheme and sooner or later it will collapse. It will collapse, because each year the £2 billion debt will get larger and, until we take the bull by the horns and do something, this Budget does not even take the first steps along the road towards addressing these major issues regarding public sector pensions....

Howard is now the prize bullfighter, the maestro, the matador de toros

I thought you might find that quickly. What with your superior ability to navigate Hansard.

I thought you might find that quickly. What with your superior ability to navigate Hansard.

Well ok, but it removes any doubt. And all the links and that quote are there for posterity.

Oh, and if you think Hansard is a more-or-less verbatim account of what happens in Tynwald and Keys, then you probably think there are fairies living under fairy bridge.

It is not unknown for speeches to be 'go missing' especially if in hindsight they were a bit rash. I think the Eddie Lowey 'towel head' reference is a good example. There are plenty of others though.

Well ok, but it removes any doubt. And all the links and that quote are there for posterity.

Oh, and if you think Hansard is a more-or-less verbatim account of what happens in Tynwald and Keys, then you probably think there are fairies living under fairy bridge.

It is not unknown for speeches to be 'go missing' especially if in hindsight they were a bit rash. I think the Eddie Lowey 'towel head' reference is a good example. There are plenty of others though.

As i said: I thought you might find that quickly. What with your superior ability to navigate Hansard.

And as I said...well ok.

(Is this going to turn into one of those threads?)

Why would it be? You're a normal rational poster. I was trying to say that I'm already aware of your points regarding the accuracy of Hansard sometimes. You always seem to find things very quickly though. Now those comments are on record it sort of sets the tone for the future doesn't it?

Aye, Tynwald 21st February 2012, Line 1539 has the Ponzi Schem phrase.

Someone needs to read that speech out to Howard. Some interesting bits in there.

....This is not a pension scheme, it is a Ponzi scheme and sooner or later it will collapse. It will collapse, because each year the £2 billion debt will get larger and, until we take the bull by the horns and do something, this Budget does not even take the first steps along the road towards addressing these major issues regarding public sector pensions....

Howard is now the prize bullfighter, the maestro, the matador de toros

That quote should be on every e-mail signature within government so it's front and centre every single day and should not come as a shock when one day a lot of people suddenly find their current and expected pension has decreased by at least 25%.

Nothing will happen until the money runs out. By then, those on the gravy train/Ponzi scheme will have nicely retired with their wheelbarrows full of cash to sunnier climes.

Oh and at this time (it's not that far away) Scotland and/or England will decide if they want to bail us out. They will fight a little and both agree "what's the point, who wants that corrupt little place?" and we will be left to sink.

Nothing will happen until the money runs out. By then, those on the gravy train/Ponzi scheme will have nicely retired with their wheelbarrows full of cash to sunnier climes.

Oh and at this time (it's not that far away) Scotland and/or England will decide if they want to bail us out. They will fight a little and both agree "what's the point, who wants that corrupt little place?" and we will be left to sink.

True.

I feel sorry for the ones left on here once that day occurs.

Archived