High times ahead? Maybe not

Ham_N_Eggs

51 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They probably prefer the money for nothing option. Think of the expense of scaling up to produce hash on an industrial scale, the premises, heat and irrigation required. They'd want more grants for £Ms for that as well. And I'm sure our overseers in the UK would see this new venture in a less than favourable light given CURRENT legislation..?

Polytunnels, probably no harder than setting up for tomatoes.  I believe the important thing is to get seed optimized for our conditions.

i am not sure that the plants would produce resin for hash, though.  It would probably be better just to aim for herbal cannabis.  It would be an excellent investment, in my opinion,  a very high value cash crop from a small amount of land.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, guzzi said:

Polytunnels, probably no harder than setting up for tomatoes.  I believe the important thing is to get seed optimized for our conditions.

i am not sure that the plants would produce resin for hash, though.  It would probably be better just to aim for herbal cannabis.  It would be an excellent investment, in my opinion,  a very high value cash crop from a small amount of land.

and how long would it last in a polytunnel before been robbed......

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

Security assumed as a given regardless of how you grew the stuff. Along with irrigation, feeding, ventilation, employees, supply contracts etc. etc. Not exactly insurmountable.

It's been shelved. It appears as though she didn't write the question on the correct coloured bit of paper or something like that... Who cares where the question comes from? Bully boy dinosaurs with misogynistic tendencies. 

29 minutes ago, 2bees said:

It's been shelved. It appears as though she didn't write the question on the correct coloured bit of paper or something like that... Who cares where the question comes from? Bully boy dinosaurs with misogynistic tendencies. 

The question is why are they bowing to the civil service / minister so easily? They are there to represent the people not the dept I wonder at what point they start to do this. What's the bet the drugs and alcohol report will recommend no change to the law.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannabis-motion-pulled-from-order-paper/

17 hours ago, woody2 said:

Well for one thing Hemp and "Weed" are two different strains of the Cannabis plant, while Weed will get you high (to varying degrees depending on its type), Hemp does not.

Yet both are covered by the same legislation (both being a "Cannabis" plant.

Even if we don't go in to the industrial "Weed" growth industry, we could go into the industrial Hemp growing business.

So why would anyone steal a plant they can't get high from.

7 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Well for one thing Hemp and "Weed" are two different strains of the Cannabis plant, while Weed will get you high (to varying degrees depending on its type), Hemp does not.

Yet both are covered by the same legislation (both being a "Cannabis" plant.

Even if we don't go in to the industrial "Weed" growth industry, we could go into the industrial Hemp growing business.

So why would anyone steal a plant they can't get high from.

wasn't talking about hemp:rolleyes: but a tesco farm had a field full of sprouts nicked just before xmas....

2 hours ago, notwell said:

Seems sensible. If you have a report due out including the subject then wait for it.   It is far easier to have that debate with the report done.  In fact it can only help.

Not really if you think about it.  Any report on "drug and alcohol strategy"[1] is going to be under the framework of the current law and enforcement regime.  This is about altering those things, so arguably it's the report that should be stopped if anything.

There was an interesting piece in the Guardian yesterday by Simon Jenkins which pointed out how government reaction to any liberalisation of drug laws tended now to be more reactionary than public opinion.  They seem to be scared of political opposition from people who don't actually exist - at least in the numbers that matter.

[1]  Given that the strategy previously has tended to be along the lines of 'ignore it and it will go away' - to the extent of suppressing awkward information -  I suppose anything might be an improvement.  Though a lot of windy guff full of slightly dated management jargon seems more likely, with very little action resulting.  Except possibly a call for more meetings.  And more reports  And the appointment of more civil servants to decide 'strategy'.

Just now, Bombay Bad Boy said:

Because there's some absolute brainless tools on the Island?

Someone took my sunglasses, even though they're my prescription and absolutely no use to anyone else.

Thing is word would get around after a while that the plants don't get you high so there is no need to steal it.

Archived