High times ahead? Maybe not

Ham_N_Eggs

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really if you think about it.  Any report on "drug and alcohol strategy"[1] is going to be under the framework of the current law and enforcement regime.  This is about altering those things, so arguably it's the report that should be stopped if anything.

There was an interesting piece in the Guardian yesterday by Simon Jenkins which pointed out how government reaction to any liberalisation of drug laws tended now to be more reactionary than public opinion.  They seem to be scared of political opposition from people who don't actually exist - at least in the numbers that matter.

[1]  Given that the strategy previously has tended to be along the lines of 'ignore it and it will go away' - to the extent of suppressing awkward information -  I suppose anything might be an improvement.  Though a lot of windy guff full of slightly dated management jargon seems more likely, with very little action resulting.  Except possibly a call for more meetings.  And more reports  And the appointment of more civil servants to decide 'strategy'.

The report states what the factual position is surely?  The facts, in relation to the current law and enforcement regime, surely need to be on the table to have the wider debate about whether to deciminilise something or not and the impact it has on the current position?

Aside of your snide comments at civli servants (again - sigh) if they currently try to debate a change (without a frame of reference) you'll have people, who perhaps don't want to see a change, able to fall back on the lack of report on the current position.

Allinson has been good enough to pursue it.  He isn't suddenly going to stop doing so.

There's no prohibition on growing Cannabis sativa for fibre, at least in the UK.  They grow it outdoors,  in big fields, and harvest it by machine.  As has already been said, the strains of seed they use are bred to be low in THC and CBD, and the plant is generally referred to as hemp rather than Cannabis.  The seeds have to licensed by the EU as a strain low in intoxicants. I assume there is nothing to stop anyone growing that ropey stuff on the Island,  if they think there's money in it.

But this is not what is being debated here. Cannabis for medical use and for recreational use is high in THC and CBD the plants having been selectively bred for those qualities.  The crop would be worth a lot of money, and need to be protected in accordance with its value, as I said above. 

But it is all very likely irrelevant given that the current question has been booted into the long grass and given the timidity of our government.

45 minutes ago, notwell said:

Aside of your snide comments at civli servants (again - sigh) 

Instead of just generally angry and snide comments about absolutely everyone like you. 

I have to say that MF has become a little bit of a disappointment; I’ve been lurking on here for years as I like to find out what my fellow Islanders are thinking on various local issues; I’ve learned a lot.

But the tendency of a few posters to descend every thread into an infantile slanging match spoils what ought to be an informative debate in a forum (with a small ‘f’) where anonymity should allow open discussion.

Bring back Thomas Jefferson; at least he had an interesting perspective.

Please stop; or just fuck off.

Don't get so angry Notty. I know the pubs are open and it's a Friday afternoon but there really is no need to be drinking to excess at this time of day. It must be time to trot off back to Government Offices soon and put in an afternoon of half drunk pretend work by pretending to use your computer when all you're doing is bashing out angry abusive shite at everyone on Manxforums before you can get back to the Prospect for 'tea' 

16 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Why would you use a polytunnel when it can be grown so easily inside my loft.... damn...

Exactly. There are plenty of empty industrial units around this rock. Grown indoors under artificial lights would be easily secured and guarantee a faultless product every time.

Growing weed is easier than growing corn.

1 hour ago, hboy said:

Don't get so angry Notty. I know the pubs are open and it's a Friday afternoon but there really is no need to be drinking to excess at this time of day. It must be time to trot off back to Government Offices soon and put in an afternoon of half drunk pretend work by pretending to use your computer when all you're doing is bashing out angry abusive shite at everyone on Manxforums before you can get back to the Prospect for 'tea' 

Boredom stuck on repeat. Meltdown imminent. 

38 minutes ago, notwell said:

Boredom stuck on repeat. Meltdown imminent. 

Would that be your alcohol induced meltdown? There's not anyone else having any meltdown on this Forum. Just the same Groundhog Day of angry (and probably drunk) nonsense from the number one MF angry keyboard basher.

Archived