Living hope church again - teaching the kids

Heffalump

I have never made a secret of my antipathy towards all religion in general, and some aspects of it in particular.

So it is, I’m sure, no shock to read that I think Mr Corkish MLC analysis of why the ‘Lord Bishop’ is the font of all morality and as a result of that must retain his vote in the Legislative Council to be unadulterated nonsense. The Bishop represents and is employed by a UK based business that does not pay tax and neither he, or the business employing him should be in politics at all in my view.

How many Hon Members in the Tynwald or in the Legislative Council are young earth creationists, bible literalists? What influences do the bible creationists have in the Tynwald, and what public money is being paid to their organisations / businesses as a result of it?

Parents can have their child or children opt out of religion in school, maybe it would be a better idea to have it that a parent or parents had to opt-in to participate in religion in the school curriculum?

Turning to the matter in hand, the problem begins I suggest in the Education Act which gives carte’ blanche to the bible literalists to have access to the schools.

Specifically, https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/education-and-children/legislation/

In Section 12. (b) (b) shall be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character; but

(c) shall not include any catechism or formulary which is distinctive of any particular religious denomination.

And, (5) The Department shall make regulations for the appointment, terms and conditions of membership and proceedings of the committee,

providing —

(a) for a majority of the members of the committee to represent the principal Christian denominations in the Island, and

(b) for other members of the committee to represent teachers in provided schools and maintained schools.

(6) No directions shall be given by the Department as to the secular education to be given to pupils in attendance at a maintained school so as to interfere with the provision of reasonable facilities for religious education in the school during school hours’

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, newsnight said:

I have never made a secret of my antipathy towards all religion in general, and some aspects of it in particular.

So it is, I’m sure, no shock to read that I think Mr Corkish MLC analysis of why the ‘Lord Bishop’ is the font of all morality and as a result of that must retain his vote in the Legislative Council to be unadulterated nonsense. The Bishop represents and is employed by a UK based business that does not pay tax and neither he, or the business employing him should be in politics at all in my view.

How many Hon Members in the Tynwald or in the Legislative Council are young earth creationists, bible literalists? What influences do the bible creationists have in the Tynwald, and what public money is being paid to their organisations / businesses as a result of it?

Parents can have their child or children opt out of religion in school, maybe it would be a better idea to have it that a parent or parents had to opt-in to participate in religion in the school curriculum?

Turning to the matter in hand, the problem begins I suggest in the Education Act which gives carte’ blanche to the bible literalists to have access to the schools.

Specifically, https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/education-and-children/legislation/

In Section 12. (b) (b) shall be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character; but

(c) shall not include any catechism or formulary which is distinctive of any particular religious denomination.

And, (5) The Department shall make regulations for the appointment, terms and conditions of membership and proceedings of the committee,

providing —

(a) for a majority of the members of the committee to represent the principal Christian denominations in the Island, and

(b) for other members of the committee to represent teachers in provided schools and maintained schools.

(6) No directions shall be given by the Department as to the secular education to be given to pupils in attendance at a maintained school so as to interfere with the provision of reasonable facilities for religious education in the school during school hours’

A very germane post. Clearly, it is time for a change.  Worth writing to your MHK about, I would suggest.

52 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

If you're after some gentle bedtime reading there's all sorts of interesting FOI requests here including the one discussed above:

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/freedom-of-information/freedom-of-information-responses/

Dept of Health and Social Care Compensation and Costs.

Compensation totalling £969, 926 paid between 2012 and 2016.

Costs of £1, 386, 429 for the same period (all assuming my sums are right).

WTF is going on up that hospital?!!

1 hour ago, ed fournier said:

If you're after some gentle bedtime reading there's all sorts of interesting FOI requests here including the one discussed above:

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/freedom-of-information/freedom-of-information-responses/

not much info available about the beneficiaries of the cash handed out to land owners, funny old world:flowers:

46 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Deserves a thread of its own... 

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well there's an interesting thing...is it all the hospital? I'd like to see a breakdown/allocation of that across all areas of healthcare, which go far beyond hospital services.

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Deserves a thread of its own... 

Correct.

This thread is about the damage done to children by being fed misinformation about the origins of life by low lives from cults like the living hope bunch and the slack supervision of those same children's education.

The claims should be discussed, but in their own thread, yes.

Archived