Should we nationalise Manx Gas?

Aristotle

Should we nationalise gas?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, finlo said:

I recently quoted on here that our gas was three times as expensive as the UK,  however a subsequent check of UK v iom tariffs does indeed show we pay up to 4x or more than those lucky buggers do.

And that's without the standing charges! Thank fuck i'm on oil.

57 minutes ago, finlo said:

I recently quoted on here that our gas was three times as expensive as the UK,  however a subsequent check of UK v iom tariffs does indeed show we pay up to 4x or more than those lucky buggers do.

It's one of the prices we pay for enjoying all the other benefits.....:rolleyes:

The only logical thing to do would be a locally owned and controlled (government supported - not controlled) co-op. That would ensure all potential benefit remains within the local economy. Co-ops are consistently the most efficient and most stable form of business. Also the best solution for the rest of the utilities, and the ferry. However this would require common sense, so it will never happen. Also, IOMGov have already demonstrated that they can even balls up a perfectly viable co-op with their handy work at the meat plant - by trying to rip off the locally owned co-op over the asset costs - rent. As others have noted, we've already paid for the infrastructure (a lot of which is so drastically badly run it's failing way before it's design lifespan). 

6 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

No and I didn't fall asleep. In fact, I waited half an hour before even going into the bath. I guess oil heated water just stays warmer a lot longer than gas heated water.

Unless the laws of thermodynamics work differently in your house there is no way can be the case. 

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

Unless the laws of thermodynamics work differently in your house there is no way can be the case. 

I disagree. If you have two separate baths filled with water and heat bath A very quickly with a sudden amount of heat, and you heat bath B with the same amount of heat but you heat it for longer, I would suggest that bath B would stay hot for longer, within the laws of thermodynamics. Bath B has more heat in it. Well, that's exactly what hot water from gas is like: it's not a sustained heat like you have with a fully integrated oil heating system.

1 minute ago, Aristotle said:

I disagree. If you have two separate baths filled with water and heat bath A very quickly with a sudden amount of heat, and you heat bath B with the same amount of heat but you heat it for longer, I would suggest that bath B would stay hot for longer, within the laws of thermodynamics. Bath B has more heat in it. Well, that's exactly what hot water from gas is like: it's not a sustained heat like you have with a fully integrated oil heating system.

You disagree, what a surprise. You're wrong, simple as that. Water heated to the same temperature by two different means will cool at the same rate under the same circumstances.

4 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

You disagree, what a surprise. You're wrong, simple as that. Water heated to the same temperature by two different means will cool at the same rate under the same circumstances.

Ah, but maybe it's like homeopathy, and the heated water retains a special memory of the sort of boiler it went through.

Archived