Raymotors goes in to liquidation

maynragh

2 hours ago, notwell said:

That's a shame. They've been around a while.

I must admit that it kind of makes sense based on something I saw recently.

The wifey wanted to change her motor so I was having a nose around. I looked  at Raymotors and was very surprised by the lack of decent stock.  

Why would they stock up? Jackson’s will be banging out volumes of VWs from a more convenient to get to base for most of the IOM so no point in over ordering and that leaves Hyundai and Mazda both low volume purchases in the IOM. Surprised they’ve managed in business for so long. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, hboy said:

Why would they stock up? Jackson’s will be banging out volumes of VWs from a more convenient to get to base for most of the IOM so no point in over ordering and that leaves Hyundai and Mazda both low volume purchases in the IOM. Surprised they’ve managed in business for so long. 

They've never had Hyundai plus they are probably one of the best selling brands now.

17 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

If only you got a Suzuki Jimny for the Mrs instead of the Dacia, might have made the difference. ;)

To be fair I hadn't looked at it like that. I feel personally responsible :lol:

And to compound the guilt she's traded it in and bought something elsewhere :(

8 hours ago, twinkle said:

I feel sorry for YOU fuck them.

I guess it's just one of those things. I thought running a business was a piece of cake until I started my own. I guess I'm a bit more aware of all the ways things outside your control can go against you now, so I have a bit more empathy in some cases. Then again maybe I'm too soft, as I've always felt if ever any of my companies went under owing people I'd probably pay them back out of my own pocket - despite the fact I run limited companies. If the root cause of this is a family issue that is very sad I think, especially if the business was still viable. I cannot see how the petrol station / retail shop / mechanic side of it wouldn't be viable given the margins (I think they own the site too don't they?), though I don't know what the relationship is with the car dealership side or how that operates, and how many people / family members are being supported / taking a slice. It is also unfortunately quite common - I know of at least one other large and well known local firm that has ceased trading this year alone due to internal family issues (from what I was told), and many more over the years. It's also entirely understandable - I couldn't work with anyone in my family for more than 5 minutes (tried it, never again), never mind for years and years, but sometimes that's just the way things pan out, especially with inherited business. 

I'm not saying that some people aren't total scum bags who use limited liability to basically shaft people while they sail on (Richmond Square springs to mind - I dodged a bullet on that one by pure chance), but I don't believe that is the case here (I could be wrong). I've been doing business with Raymotors for many years, and to be honest they've always been one of the most straight forward firms to deal with in the sector. I've dealt with almost every petrol station at some point over the last 10 years, though now only deal with a few - mostly due to ease of business.

Maybe I am just too soft, but I think it's sad when families tear themselves apart over money, or a business that was built up by their predecessors and handed down in good faith. 

1 hour ago, maynragh said:

I guess it's just one of those things. I thought running a business was a piece of cake until I started my own. I guess I'm a bit more aware of all the ways things outside your control can go against you now, so I have a bit more empathy in some cases. Then again maybe I'm too soft, as I've always felt if ever any of my companies went under owing people I'd probably pay them back out of my own pocket - despite the fact I run limited companies. If the root cause of this is a family issue that is very sad I think, especially if the business was still viable. I cannot see how the petrol station / retail shop / mechanic side of it wouldn't be viable given the margins (I think they own the site too don't they?), though I don't know what the relationship is with the car dealership side or how that operates, and how many people / family members are being supported / taking a slice. It is also unfortunately quite common - I know of at least one other large and well known local firm that has ceased trading this year alone due to internal family issues (from what I was told), and many more over the years. It's also entirely understandable - I couldn't work with anyone in my family for more than 5 minutes (tried it, never again), never mind for years and years, but sometimes that's just the way things pan out, especially with inherited business. 

I'm not saying that some people aren't total scum bags who use limited liability to basically shaft people while they sail on (Richmond Square springs to mind - I dodged a bullet on that one by pure chance), but I don't believe that is the case here (I could be wrong). I've been doing business with Raymotors for many years, and to be honest they've always been one of the most straight forward firms to deal with in the sector. I've dealt with almost every petrol station at some point over the last 10 years, though now only deal with a few - mostly due to easy of business.

Maybe I am just too soft, but I think it's sad when families tear themselves apart over money, or a business that was built up by their predecessors and handed down in good faith. 

As the owner of several (family) businesses I couldn't have put it better, well said!, those who haven't 'been there' will struggle to understand.

1 hour ago, notwell said:

To be fair I hadn't looked at it like that. I feel personally responsible :lol:

And to compound the guilt she's traded it in and bought something elsewhere :(

A deal from Jackson's was it ? :o

I'm not sure now that it was a good idea opening up the floodgates to them. How can they offer such good deals on trade ins then have those cars all auctioned off?

Can't be good in the long run for any local dealers who have not already sold out.

How is it good for the island in general?

Perhaps it can be sorted out and a phoenix will rise from the ashes. Until today Raymotors have been great customers and a pleasure to deal with. I wish them all well & hope something can be salvaged...and they pay us :) Often companies are liquidated and debts paid, just not very often.

There is to be a large auction of cars for Motor Mall by Chrystals on Saturday.  Seems like high volume second hand car dealerships don't fit the IOM model, or perhaps that is the model,  send slow moving stock to auction on a regular basis. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

There is to be a large auction of cars for Motor Mall by Chrystals on Saturday.  Seems like high volume second hand car dealerships don't fit the IOM model, or perhaps that is the model,  send slow moving stock to auction on a regular basis. 

Kinda what I was saying.

Betteridges does well though, and I've dealt with them a few times and find them A1. Their new place in Foxdale should do well and I think they have the right attitude to succeed in these difficult times. I wish them well.:)

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A deal from Jackson's was it ? :o

I'm not sure now that it was a good idea opening up the floodgates to them. How can they offer such good deals on trade ins then have those cars all auctioned off?

Can't be good in the long run for any local dealers who have not already sold out.

How is it good for the island in general?

I don't see it as an issue.   Plenty of garages selling cars aside of Jacksons.   They are not leading the way on pricing I can tell you that.

SWMBO did ask me along to Jacksons for a nose. The deal was poor and the salesman worse.  Proper old school hard sell which does not work well with me (or her to be fair).  It never ceases to amaze me how people who deal with customers and buying etc can fail to adjust their approach based on who they are dealing with.  

So she ended up elsewhere with a much better deal.  Surprisingly within touching distance of the best deals on Autotrader along with a less pushy approach and above book trade in.  She was very happy and overall the deal was fine.

On the auction side of things I don't get it.  Some of that stock is better than what they have on the forecourt.    

Archived