Raymotors goes in to liquidation

maynragh

11 minutes ago, notwell said:

I don't see it as an issue.   Plenty of garages selling cars aside of Jacksons.   They are not leading the way on pricing I can tell you that.

SWMBO did ask me along to Jacksons for a nose. The deal was poor and the salesman worse.  Proper old school hard sell which does not work well with me (or her to be fair).  It never ceases to amaze me how people who deal with customers and buying etc can fail to adjust their approach based on who they are dealing with.  

So she ended up elsewhere with a much better deal.  Surprisingly within touching distance of the best deals on Autotrader along with a less pushy approach and above book trade in.  She was very happy and overall the deal was fine.

On the auction side of things I don't get it.  Some of that stock is better than what they have on the forecourt.    

The rumour mill certainly seems to be indicating that Jacksons is not a major factor in the Raymotors situation, but more details will no doubt come out eventually as to what and why. 

With regards Jacksons in general, I don't see that much of an issue in terms of consumer choice / protection, but then I'm someone who has never (and probably never will) buy a vehicle from a dealer - and I've bought more vehicles than I can even recall. People who don't mind paying for the convenience will use them. People who are a bit more keen will buy privately or in the UK if the local market is not competing well, as is the case right now. Unless Jacksons are able to pull some strings to influence import restrictions or vehicle testing (seems unlikely, but you never know), I can't see what the issue is. 

With regards huge sums effectively leaving the local economy it is not good, but then I suppose local dealer services were only ever marginal in comparison to the figure that went off island anyway with importation ?? 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, maynragh said:

With regards Jacksons in general, I don't see that much of an issue in terms of consumer choice / protection, but then I'm someone who has never (and probably never will) buy a vehicle from a dealer - and I've bought more vehicles than I can even recall. 

You can say that again. Have you still got that shitty Toyota van for sale? 

@maynragh

From what I have heard this is a voluntary liquidation. On that basis all outstanding debts should be settled or re-saleable stock returned.

Ultimately it's a real shame for the staff and any recent car buyers. It's questionable if Rammo could really ever support 2 fuel stations but I have been told the shop at Raymotors was very good. 

1 minute ago, hboy said:

You can say that again. Have you still got that shitty Toyota van for sale? 

With regards Jacksons in general, I don't see that much of an issue in terms of consumer choice / protection, but then I'm someone who has never (and probably never will) buy a vehicle from a dealer - and I've bought more vehicles than I can even recall. Which one, I have several don't I? 

3 minutes ago, mannin said:

@maynragh

From what I have heard this is a voluntary liquidation. On that basis all outstanding debts should be settled or re-saleable stock returned.

Ultimately it's a real shame for the staff and any recent car buyers. It's questionable if Rammo could really ever support 2 fuel stations but I have been told the shop at Raymotors was very good. 

Fingers crossed. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, maynragh said:

With regards Jacksons in general, I don't see that much of an issue in terms of consumer choice / protection, but then I'm someone who has never (and probably never will) buy a vehicle from a dealer - and I've bought more vehicles than I can even recall. Which one, I have several don't I? 

Fingers crossed. Thanks. 

I must have got confused. I was looking at a Toyota Hiace that stinks of dog. 

5 minutes ago, hboy said:

I must have got confused. I was looking at a Toyota Hiace that stinks of dog. 

It said multiple dogs in the advert didn't it? 

Dunno, I'll check to see if it's still there in the morning when I drive past and let you know. 

3 hours ago, mannin said:

@maynragh

A voluntary liquidation may be a members' or creditors' liquidation,  the former is a solvent liquidation where all debts are to be settled, the latter is an insolvent liquidation where the assets are not sufficient to cover the debts.

7 hours ago, woolley said:

Like the long post, maynragh. Very true, but petrol stations good margin? Shirley not.

There’s very little margin on the petrol itself (at least that’s what I’m told), but very good margin on convenience shopping and mechanic services (especially if you own the premises). Raymotors was one of the biggest forecourt shops on the Island. That said I’d often thought they’d probably have made more if they’d gone down the true convenience grocery route like most of the others, but it was a well known place for obscure automotive related products - last thing I purchased in there was a 17mm spanner when I got to Ramsey and a clutch cable needed adjusting.

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

A voluntary liquidation may be a members' or creditors' liquidation,  the former is a solvent liquidation where all debts are to be settled, the latter is an insolvent liquidation where the assets are not sufficient to cover the debts.

Agreed. I suppose it’s just the rather swift nature of this which gives rise to concern it may not be  of the members choice. Manx Radio I think were reporting a court hearing the day before but I don’t know what the implications of that are. If they informed the staff the night before they could have pinged an email to creditors by now to say debts will be honoured or not, or simply to let us know. I’m sure it’ll become clear in the next week or so. 

Raymotors closure has nothing to do with Jacksons. It arises from the controlling family's long-running internal dispute between some who wanted "out/retirement" and those who wished to carry on. It concerned percentages and shares. The court that it eventually reached ruled in favour of closure. Sad, it will leave a big hole in Ramsey business as the concern also owns a considerable amount of other property around the square and town. Hopefully somebody else will take it up.

9 hours ago, mannin said:

@maynragh

The shop was excellent. Can't count the number of times they have had items that other suppliers fail or won't stock. :(

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Raymotors closure has nothing to do with Jacksons. It arises from the controlling family's long-running internal dispute between some who wanted "out/retirement" and those who wished to carry on. It concerned percentages and shares. The court that it eventually reached ruled in favour of closure. Sad, it will leave a big hole in Ramsey business as the concern also owns a considerable amount of other property around the square and town. Hopefully somebody else will take it up.

That is sad news then. Also quite sad that the court could not see a way through for the sake of all those who's jobs depended on it, and for the sake of the town. How do these things work, could the court not have forced a reformation of some sort (sale of the shares who wanted out as a going concern)? Agreed, hopefully they will find a way to resurrect it, and not just for my own interest.

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

The shop was excellent. Can't count the number of times they have had items that other suppliers fail or won't stock. :(

In terms of the shop the stock was mind boggling, but as I was discussing with someone else yesterday this old school model is gradually dying off in the face of the 'next day' internet connected world. DMS in Douglas faced the same problems - cam belt kit for a pinto engine that hasn't been in production for 30 years? Yup, 3 on the shelf. That's a lovely thing to have in your community, but it cannot compete with the modern world - which is a shame.  

It's a shame Raymotor's are closing, their shop was a godsend in Ramsey for tools and cans of EZ-Start in a pinch.

I even found that their pricing on most of the car cleaning kit was fairly competitive with Amazon and such, never compared any of the other bits. Always went in needing X quickly and they almost always had something that'd do the job. 

Where is left now for an array of automotive oddities with DMS gone, Raymotors now gone too?

Archived