We Have To Eat In Order To Exist

gettafa

Onchan MHK David Ashford, reasonably enough came out with this quip in connection with the proposed cut in Meals On Wheels.

The last time I heard an MHK use the argument "We have to eat in order to exist" was Phil Gawne (remember him) who used the phrase in order to make his argument that the landwowners needed their huge grants from the government. Admittedly the argument was a little deeper, but only to assert that if the landowners don't get all this government money they won't be able to grow food for us to eat and we have to eat in order to exist.*

And hence we'll all die.

*it sounds better if done in a whiney voice

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Onchan MHK David Ashford, reasonably enough came out with this quip in connection with the proposed cut in Meals On Wheels.

The last time I heard an MHK use the argument "We have to eat in order to exist" was Phil Gawne (remember him) who used the phrase in order to make his argument that the landwowners needed their huge grants from the government. Admittedly the argument was a little deeper, but only to assert that if the landowners don't get all this government money they won't be able to grow food for us to eat and we have to eat in order to exist.*

And hence we'll all die.

*it sounds better if done in a whiney voice

Doubt that Onchan want him. They have their own.;)

The annual cost of Meals On Wheels is £ 150,000.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the equivalent of just one average landowners annual pay out.

On the Isle of Man the payouts are shrouded in secrecy, unlike they UK where the payments are accessible.

57 minutes ago, twinkle said:

is this a FACT? does FOI not have any say in this issue? if not why not?

"Commercial Confidentiality", Old Chap.

And the taxpayer's blood pressure, very likely. Along with an unsustainable run on pitchforks.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

The annual cost of Meals On Wheels is £ 150,000.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the equivalent of just one average landowners annual pay out.

On the Isle of Man the payouts are shrouded in secrecy, unlike they UK where the payments are accessible.

I'm pretty sure a local list has been published as a result of FOI. Not who got what, but a list of all the payments in a particular year. I'm sure I've seen that - probably one of Busters if you do a search on his page. 

Subsidies and lack of market protection against them are what has screwed the local industry. 

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

David ashford looks scarier every time i see a picture of him. Like a half wit son of dracula 

He reminds me of the Count from Sesame Street. I bet he stands up and counts loudly at every opportunity in Tynwald giving a chilling laugh at the end of each number. He’s shit. 

18 minutes ago, NegativeNeil said:

He reminds me of the Count from Sesame Street. I bet he stands up and counts loudly at every opportunity in Tynwald giving a chilling laugh at the end of each number. He’s shit. 

WHO are you by the way?.not DC by any chance.

Archived