We Have To Eat In Order To Exist

gettafa

A look at the provided data. You might think that the level of grant received amongst the claimants would follow a normal distribution bell curve. Far from it.

Is this money being well spent, is it necessary?

There are 32 receive less than £1000

131 receive £0 - £5,000

From there it slopes off, all the way to the 5 who receive over £100,000.

One, surely the daddy of them all, receives £145,983.50.

Back on topic, what was the cost of Meals on Wheels?

Who are the Tynwald Members who receive this grant and where do they sit on this distribution. That is, as owners of the land - Howard Quayle likes to say how he doesn't receive the grant but the tenant does. He must think we're still shitting yella. Obviously the land grant is factored into the rent he receives.

5a0ec5563ef91_2015CCSLDS00111.thumb.jpg.1e929e2bb8ee18add4bbcf32b4e968c1.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

A look at the provided data. You might think that the level of grant received amongst the claimants would follow a normal distribution bell curve. Far from it.

Is this money being well spent, is it necessary?

There are 32 receive less than £1000

131 receive £0 - £5,000

From there it slopes off, all the way to the 5 who receive over £100,000.

One, surely the daddy of them all, receives £145,983.50.

Back on topic, what was the cost of Meals on Wheels?

Who are the Tynwald Members who receive this grant and where do they sit on this distribution. That is, as owners of the land - Howard Quayle likes to say how he doesn't receive the grant but the tenant does. He must think we're still shitting yella. Obviously the land grant is factored into the rent he receives.

5a0ec5563ef91_2015CCSLDS00111.thumb.jpg.1e929e2bb8ee18add4bbcf32b4e968c1.jpg

I wonder if the "daddy recipient" might be DEFA itself? Forestry, plantations etc (if there's any left)? One Govt Dept paying another as usual?

54 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

According to this MLC David Anderson received £120000ish a year or two back

https://octopusmedia.im/2016/11/16/revealed-cash-received-by-politicians-companies/

Surely puts Anderson in the top 3, of the 399.

He takes that £50k a year for being, quite frankly, a silent knacker.

I have had two occasions to contact him, both serious matters, one of when he was Health Minister. I didn't even receive an acknowledgement. Anyway, whatever, the people of the Isle of Man need to be told why this mega handout is justified.

10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Anyway, whatever, the people of the Isle of Man need to be told why this mega handout is justified.

And then what will they do? Likely as not it'll be the same as it ever was, they'll accept what they're told, moan about it for a while then quickly roll over and forget about it in supine indolence.

A typical example is the gas rip-off; many thousands of locals took a rather dim view of the new terms and were, by their own accounts, very angry. A demonstration of this anger was organised with much fanfare.

Less than 100 people turned up...

Lol.

The rates are here...

agricultural-development-scheme-2015.pdf

There's a bit of jiggery pokery with different things, but the basic flat rate for BML (Below the mountain line) is £78 an acre from 2018 onwards, so you can work out from how many acres any MHK is farming (owning) what they're taking roughly. Whether the tenant farmer is getting the money or not would be more difficult to ascertain, but it would be quite unusual from what I know. 

edited - 2018 is the first year of the totally flat rate on area - they've been tapering in from the old system for the last few years. 

15 minutes ago, quilp said:

And then what will they do? Likely as not it'll be the same as it ever was, they'll accept what they're told, moan about it for a while then quickly roll over and forget about it in supine indolence.

A typical example is the gas rip-off; many thousands of locals took a rather dim view of the new terms and were, by their own accounts, very angry. A demonstration of this anger was organised with much fanfare.

Less than 100 people turned up...

Lol.

And I agree with this... It's a scandalous situation, but apparently people don't care. 

24 minutes ago, gettafa said:

And some might say that on an Island such as ours, it doesn't 'do' to stick your head above the parapet.

Correct. The forelock-tuggers, and cap-doffers, those who were brought up to know their place, perpetuate this nonsense of wilful ignorance and wan compliance. Like ghosts in a weed-garden. 

56 minutes ago, quilp said:

Correct. The forelock-tuggers, and cap-doffers, those who were brought up to know their place, perpetuate this nonsense of wilful ignorance and wan compliance. Like ghosts in a weed-garden. 

I wouldn't like any "ghosts" in my weed garden!.

Archived