Notwell

dilligaf

4 hours ago, paswt said:

I found him/her a bit tedious , insisting he was always right even when he demonstrably was in the wrong and put words into other posters mouths.

Some posters can "hold their hand up" when proved to be wrong , and I received retractions/apologies from  a few ( including TJ :D) however there have been a couple of exceptions :lol: .

I'm not surprised that he claims that he was banned "for nothing really" , his opinion that he offered "alternative views and perspectives" is perhaps not surprising , as is his opinion that " MF is poorer"  for him not posting :lol:.

At the end of the day the mods are in charge  and  he can always set up his own site to air his views , frankly I wouldn't be breaking my neck to join it and I don't have a problem with Gladys's decision .

Just saying:flowers:

I agree with that and to be honest I found the way he used to follow posters around just digging and jibing at them for no reason until they got wound up and bit back at him extremely childish. Also when posters did bite back it seemed to trigger extreme bouts of name calling and further taunting of those who challenged anything he said. Once you had crossed him, and it only had to be once on a minor issue, he launched into a full scale attack of absolutely every post you made in every thread whether warranted or not. It was quite sad and stopped me posting for a while. I think the problem gets to when people believe they own these boards and can basically say what they like and provoke whoever they like and it becomes a campaign of sorts to get their own way. Notty did it consistently, Quilp did it every now and again, and Woolley did it for a period too on the Brexit stuff; and so have a few others. It just gets boring to be honest like Groundhog Day. I’m not surprised either that he believes he’s been banned for “nothing really” (if that is true) when he appeared to me to be the one of the main instigators of a lot of the hassle on here. It certainly is quiet in comparison. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Bring back Notty, Quilp and Wooley. Free the Forum Three...:thumbsup:

There’s been so many posters banned (assuming these have been banned) recently that you can’t have some back and not others. You have to assume that all were banned for a reason. If those bans were permanent then they should stick to that stance. Letting people back makes no sense as their behaviour will likely just pick back up where they left off. It is quiet here but it’s also much more peaceful and well behaved and therefore, I assume, easier for the Mods to mod. 

Some of the missing are probably on their annual sulk. When they rise above the banal mundanity of it all and retreat to the moral and intellectual high ground. I'm definitely overdue my own annual retreat.

Some posters need to feel loved. As soon as their absence is noted a few times they usually return. Full of new wisdoms.

PS - I am fairly certain that one the two resident trolls is currently posting from at least two accounts. So that makes about 8 of us posting here in total :) 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree with that and to be honest I found the way he used to follow posters around just digging and jibing at them for no reason until they got wound up and bit back at him extremely childish. Also when posters did bite back it seemed to trigger extreme bouts of name calling and further taunting of those who challenged anything he said. Once you had crossed him, and it only had to be once on a minor issue, he launched into a full scale attack of absolutely every post you made in every thread whether warranted or not. It was quite sad and stopped me posting for a while. I think the problem gets to when people believe they own these boards and can basically say what they like and provoke whoever they like and it becomes a campaign of sorts to get their own way. Notty did it consistently, Quilp did it every now and again, and Woolley did it for a period too on the Brexit stuff; and so have a few others. It just gets boring to be honest like Groundhog Day. I’m not surprised either that he believes he’s been banned for “nothing really” (if that is true) when he appeared to me to be the one of the main instigators of a lot of the hassle on here. It certainly is quiet in comparison. 

You have a very different view of the forum to me. Sure Notwell could be a dick, I've had run ins with him on benign subjects like libraries where his bonkers blinkered views were utterly stupid, and his willingness to get involved in the willy waving ego threads was massively annoying he still didn't come across as badly as you seem to think. And Quilp was sound, used to have Frank as his profile pic, I hope he's not banned, wooley too. I reckon I could sit in a pub and argue with him for hours, he's so wrong in some of his views (in my opinion) but comes across as a complete believer in his stance, not much flexibility in the way he looks at the world, his mind is made up. His posts were mostly worth reading even if I thought they were wrong. And his spats with PK could be quite amusing.

I realise that there are rules to be followed and enforced, and agree that the mods needed to take a strong approach, I think banning obvious regular posters as a consequence of trying to get rid of the utter idiots might be a little harsh. Even if notwell is an utter idiot :)

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

You have a very different view of the forum to me. Sure Notwell could be a dick, I've had run ins with him on benign subjects like libraries where his bonkers blinkered views were utterly stupid, and his willingness to get involved in the willy waving ego threads was massively annoying he still didn't come across as badly as you seem to think. And Quilp was sound, used to have Frank as his profile pic, I hope he's not banned, wooley too. I reckon I could sit in a pub and argue with him for hours, he's so wrong in some of his views (in my opinion) but comes across as a complete believer in his stance, not much flexibility in the way he looks at the world, his mind is made up. His posts were mostly worth reading even if I thought they were wrong. And his spats with PK could be quite amusing.

I realise that there are rules to be followed and enforced, and agree that the mods needed to take a strong approach, I think banning obvious regular posters as a consequence of trying to get rid of the utter idiots might be a little harsh. Even if notwell is an utter idiot :)

I can only say it as I see it. Never had an issue with Quilp at all but as I said he did it from time to time, I had it with Woolley big style over Brexit to the point I stopped posting as he was like a broken record every day but I did apologies to him in the end. As I said above I can’t see why he’s banned if he is banned. But I’m not being two faced on the Notwell issue as I’ve discussed it with the Mods more than once. If you stood up to him he was just relentless in his vendetta to prove that he was right and you were wrong. He would also follow you for weeks posting aggressive responses to everything you posted. The only way you could avoid him when he was on one was by literally stopping posting because every post was turned into a bitter battle that went on for pages to wear you down. Declan said the same above. I assume if they got banned they got banned for a reason. You can’t just let them come back as that’s saying some posters who got banned are now ok and others aren’t. I think we just have to support the Mods on the issue. As Pongo says there’s probably only about eight of us here. But I assume others will join back in time. 

3 hours ago, paswt said:
5 hours ago, Gizo said:

It is these comments that brought MF to its knees a few weeks back. And still at least 2 Ban Dilligaf still hasn't learnt. If it's true I'd rather have Notty back and perma ban Dilligaf. 

Lol well you did invite the response  :lol: ,still you're not the first to post something designed to offend to elicit a 'robust response' then play the "victim/ please tell him off Mod" card.

:D Just saying 

Thanks "paswt", you are quite correct. ;) I don't think a quick 3 word response from me was any worse than the constant baiting by "Gizo". It was not just in this thread but he has been baiting me for a long time.

I think to deliberately provoke people is worse than getting a "just" reply. Not sure what he gains from it.

If this post is wrong and my brief (winked) reply to Gizo has offended the masses then bow to him and ban me. I hope you don't , but I don't want to be the bad apple in the barrel.

Ask somebody independent to vote, like Abu Hamza to raise his hand if he thinks I should go

To be honest, Sultan, I didn’t say Notwell was perusing a vendetta against people, or chasing people around the forums. I just feel that he found it hard to let anyone else have the last word. 

It’s a sometimes hard to leave a thread when you’re convinced you are right and that the next post will be the zinger that gets a homophobe to drape himself in the rainbow flag and march through Manchester next pride day or Nigel Farrage that Brexit is a bad idea. We all probably slip up in this regard from time to time but Notwell did it repeatedly and if he ran into someone like yourself or Neil Down or hboy who was similarly afflicted the bickering would last pages. 

Personally I hope his ban is temporary and when he returns he’ll be more considerate, because a more reasonable Notwell would be worth having around.  

Declan, I remember the advice given to the tenant of a pub that if someone is banned they should stay banned as they may come around with apologies and promises but  there is a fair chance that they will revert to type and repeat their behaviour.

Experience has taught me that once an employee/ employer  has overstepped the mark it's best to part company  hopefully without rancour and learn not to repeat the relationship. 

That said this site is not on a par with what I've outlined and although I admit I find 'Notty'  unpleasant at times, it's up to the Mods  to decide .

:flowers: 

Archived