TT 2018

woody2

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Bah Derek, with your facts and on-site experience...

true story- major festival- 24 hours before the gates open, site signed off by council, h+s and emergency services. then the police called an emergency meeting, didn't know what it was about, was it terrorism or something we had missed?

attended meeting with promoter and they sighted layout problems, after about half an hour of waffle it turns out they didn't like the position of the police portakabins near the campsites and wanted to be backstage, after further discussions it turned out they didn't want to be so far from the free crew catering .......

#whoateallthepies

• 3 weeks later...

The scoreboards and timebox used to be dismantled in September and re-erected in April/May every year. Any maintenance was carried out at this time and they lasted for decades. 

Now, it's become a major expenditure item. I hope any replacement planned in future is sympathetic to the original in order to keep the historic feel of the TT and MGP. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

The scoreboards and timebox used to be dismantled in September and re-erected in April/May every year. Any maintenance was carried out at this time and they lasted for decades. 

Now, it's become a major expenditure item. I hope any replacement planned in future is sympathetic to the original in order to keep the historic feel of the TT and MGP. 

Back then the Scoreboard was made of scaffolding and could easily be taken apart. The current structure is mostly box section steel which hasn't been maintained so is rusting away. It was built without any consultation with those who use it and was badly designed (low head height on the upper platform as one example). Hopefully if there is going to be a new mechanical board, the users ideas and suggestions will be taken into account this time.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Who was at the TT launch last night?

Looks like no one at the photos I’ve seen. Goodbye TT  

It was pretty well full and the launch went well? The Villa had the theatre seating layout which meant more people could attend. You have probably seen photos of the bikes in the centre before or after the thing began?

Might have been a nice gesture if they had offered a free pass / reduced entry feeto  Manx marshals  ( wonder who did get in for free:rolleyes:)

19 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Who was at the TT launch last night?

Just saying 

20 minutes ago, paswt said:

Might have been a nice gesture if they had offered a free pass / reduced entry feeto  Manx marshals  ( wonder who did get in for free:rolleyes:)

Just saying 

I didn't, never have and I've been involved for years. I guess that many people who help in some way would get a free pass, not sure on the viability of that?

Archived