TT 2018

woody2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I didn't, never have and I've been involved for years. I guess that many people who help in some way would get a free pass, not sure on the viability of that?

Max , for avoidance of doubt If I was offered a free pass ( on the basis that I had marshalled for the very thick end of 10years) I would still insist on paying for my ticket  ( I have never been to the Marshals supper:D either) . Perhaps I'm a just an independent  curmudgeonly  soul  :lol: 

I am concerned that there is a shortage of marshals ( many are even older than me ! :lol:) and many have expressed the view that they feel that the powers that be are taking them a little bit for granted and a fair few have voted with their feet over the past few years.

My post was to flag up to the 'powers that be' my concerns  Over the years I have tried to engage with them  by email ( others have  by "snail mail")and although assured that a  response  would be forthcoming  .............. still  waiting  .

I expect 'we' will never know  an answer to my  tongue in cheek  enquiry as to who got(accepted) a free pass (and 'hospitality')  but  I could probably hazard a guess:D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It was pretty well full and the launch went well? The Villa had the theatre seating layout which meant more people could attend. You have probably seen photos of the bikes in the centre before or after the thing began?

Nope. Had another look, looks empty to me. Suppose my interpretation of empty is different. Just saying considering the huge amount of tax money goes into this spectacle and the tune that gets conveyed from Govt, id expect them queuing round the corner in the middle of March. 

Waste of money and effort. 

Just now, La Colombe said:

I went to one of the launches at the Villa a few years ago, man it was proper boring. Lots of people in there who looked like that scruffy old git off of Last of the Summer Wine. 

Probably better than you deserve...:thumbsup:

From Link...

- Ian Hutchinson, the only man to win 5 TT’s in a single week, also receives a rapturous applause as he comes on stage on crutches. The Bingley Bullet is joined on stage by Honda team-mate Lee Johnston.

Hutchy: ‘I’ve managed to spend 4 years out of the last 7 with a frame on my leg and I’ve still managed to win 8 TT’s so I’ll be back again. I was hoping to have the frame off at the end of January so I’m not sure if I’ll be back for this year’s TT. I’m not mentally ready to rave - I’ll be disappointed if I don’t ride but it’ll be ok. I need to have the frame off by the end of April to stand a chance.’

Johnston: ‘We had our first test a few weeks ago but, like most teams, we’ve been hit by the bad weather, although we still managed to get one good day of testing out of it. I wanted a really strong team-mate so I’m hoping Hutchy will pull his finger out, drink his milk and get fit.’

Not mentally ready to rave? He'd better stay away from the 3 deck wizard Carl Cox after parties then! The unfit, milk drinking cissy. Still, I suppose he's lucky to be alive really. 

3 hours ago, paswt said:

Might have been a nice gesture if they had offered a free pass / reduced entry feeto  Manx marshals  ( wonder who did get in for free:rolleyes:)

Just saying 

It would have been nice, and showed the Marshalls, they were supported, liked, valued and respected. Wouldn’t surprise me if the politico’s and civil servants attended. 

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

There's about 1200 marshals who sign on for the TT, if they all came the Villa would be at maximum capacity.

1200  may 'sign on' and you may well be  "mob handed "  at a few of the marshalling sites ( Creg/ grandstand/etc/etc) but on the mountain we are , as you well know (if you are involved in the organisation) ,marshals are very thin on the ground  and on occasions the lack of marshals has caused delays and cancellations..

How many of that 1200  live here, I did say in my post "Manx marshals" Max  .

Out of idle curiosity How many marshals turn up for the "Marshals Supper" ?

I would venture to suggest that the marshals have demonstrated their support for the TT/MGP by standing out all weathers , sometimes until after 11.00 pm (on the mountain)  at a personal cost ( in providing appropriate wet weather clothing , travelling costs  etc).

I was just flagging up that a number of marshals I know have voted with their feet as they felt that they were being a little taken for granted , they didn't want to be paid  they just would like to feel valued , respect is a two way street. 

I wasn't at this year's, but I have been to every other year. It is a great innovation and kicks off the TT season in style. I know people who make the trip just for this, and take the opportunity to do a few laps of the TT course too no doubt.

It looked a good night. (Obviously if you are anti-TT or anti-bike then this night is not for you.)

• 1 month later...

Archived