More pathetic Police state laws

thesultanofsheight

So what are the new rules on this then? The cops now apparently have powers to just randomly come round and snatch your car because someone else reports that it didn’t stop at some incident or other? What rules apply on this as it seems to be all one sided to me? What’s to stop a pissed off ex wife, or disgruntled employee reporting that you damaged their car and then off pop the rozzers with their flatbed and impound your vehicle for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than your crazy ex wife has made up a load of shite. What burden of proof applies? It seems totally mad that they have powers to just arbitrarily turn up and snatch a vehicle on someone else’s say so without any proof at all that you or it has been involved in any incident at all. 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/call-us-say-cops-confiscating-crooks-car/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that they just randomly came around and took it. The piece that car failed to stop when they directed it to. So far as I know if the police direct you to stop you have to comply. This geezer didn't comply and because of that offence they've impounded his car.

Just now, Expatriate said:

I'm not sure that they just randomly came around and took it. The piece that car failed to stop when they directed it to. So far as I know if the police direct you to stop you have to comply. This geezer didn't comply and because of that offence they've impounded his car.

Ok that’s a bit more context. Still looks mental and open to abuse to me. 

I think we always keep in mind, when it comes to any power system, the concept of CASE LAW or PRECEDENT.

One only need to look at 9/11 and review all the ways the new regulations under the stupidly named "PATRIOT" Act to see how power can be misused.

They've lifted it in the hope that the owner will come forward to claim it. This suggests they don't know the current keeper, which suggests this vehicle is not lawfully registered and as such shouldn't be on the road in the first place. If the owner hasn't registered it in his own name what else hasn't he bothered to do? Tax it? Insure it? Pass a driving test?

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

So what are the new rules on this then? The cops now apparently have powers to just randomly come round and snatch your car because someone else reports that it didn’t stop at some incident or other? What rules apply on this as it seems to be all one sided to me? What’s to stop a pissed off ex wife, or disgruntled employee reporting that you damaged their car and then off pop the rozzers with their flatbed and impound your vehicle for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than your crazy ex wife has made up a load of shite. What burden of proof applies? It seems totally mad that they have powers to just arbitrarily turn up and snatch a vehicle on someone else’s say so without any proof at all that you or it has been involved in any incident at all. 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/call-us-say-cops-confiscating-crooks-car/

Do you not wish you had read the story properly before firing off half arsed...

I purchased a car from a mate who came back over to sort out a deceased parents estate - no log book. Govt / Post Office advise was " we will write to the registered owner and if they don't reply in 60 days will issue you a new log book"

I am now on the look out for someone going on a 5 month cruise with a Ferrari who won't have access to their mail - I will pop on down to Blackhorse with "My" logbook and re-finance their car.........

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Do you not wish you had read the story properly before firing off half arsed...

No, as nobody has really still explained the situation clearly as to why they can snatch your car. They presumably know where it is as you are the registered keeper and so it’s parked near your house. Could the multitudes of current and ex police on here please have a better stab at it this time round. Thanks. 

I suspect that the reported story is, as usual, only a vague fraction of the whole story. It could be a different car but there is a guy in a dark blue coloured BMW who's been driving like a lunatic on the mountain road for years and has been getting away with it. I wonder if the police have finally taken some action ?  

8 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No, as nobody has really still explained the situation clearly as to why they can snatch your car. They presumably know where it is as you are the registered keeper and so it’s parked near your house. Could the multitudes of current and ex police on here please have a better stab at it this time round. Thanks. 

To the owner of this BMW that failed to stop for Police a few days ago. We have your car pop in and see us

:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Henry said:

I think we always keep in mind, when it comes to any power system, the concept of CASE LAW or PRECEDENT.

One only need to look at 9/11 and review all the ways the new regulations under the stupidly named "PATRIOT" Act to see how power can be misused.

An absolute power system doesn't use case law or precedent - that is how they are absolute. 

Archived