• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rog said:

It does seem to me that pensioners (old age, that is) get a very raw deal on the island. The UK old age pension is very low , see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/05/uk-state-pensions-ranked-worst-developed-world/ but is made up by a great many benefits whereas on the island there's a similar base pension to that in the UK but a much higher cost of living and nowhere near the same benefits. I saw that Alf in his budget speech seemed almost proud of the increase in your state pension even though it is below the increase in cost of living there making it a cut!

It's not for me to be impressed or unimpressed but overall ------.

Manx pensioners also receive an additional Manx Supplement to their pension.

Also, many are eligible to a Personal Allowance Credit as well as other benefits such as a winter heating allowance.

4 minutes ago, Please Elaborate said:

Let us not also forget, given the elderly are so dependent on medicine, that our prescription charges are significantly less than in the UK.

Hard to get less than zero which is what we pay!

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I don't see the same problem, sorry.:)

Maybe because I'm comparing how senior citizens (aka doddering old sods like me!) fare over here compared with on the island. 

1 minute ago, Rog said:
10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I don't see the same problem, sorry.:)

Maybe because I'm comparing how senior citizens (aka doddering old sods like me!) fare over here compared with on the island. 

Maybe I'll think differently in half a dozen or so years then :)

7 minutes ago, Please Elaborate said:

I'd be interested to know what medication you are on, given you were announced as being DEAD for over seven years by regular posters on here who claimed they knew you in person. Is it called prozac by any chance?

Er, a bit too near the knuckle there, no ?

Rog has had a shit hand dealt him :o

Archived