2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

I bet the treasury official who wrote the speech made a small sex wee (or got a little damp - can't be sexist) at this clever little line, stick it to them Alf!!

"We simply don’t have time to admire the Panorama or look for guardian angels – this is a government interested only in delivering reforms of substance based on evidence and fact; not supposition and innuendo"

Then IMO he or they are fools. Simply ignoring the fall out of the Paradise Papers won't make it go away and supposition plus innuendo is all to often a considerable factor where international finance and investment is concerned. Certainly in building and managing my investment portfolio the direction that winds are blowing even if only hints of breezes has and continues to affect what I do and over the last 50 years it's a strategy that has served me very well and I am far from being unique in this.

I really believe that the fall out from the disclosures from the Paradise Papers has only just started and based on the pronouncements especially by that oaf Quayle is far from being understood.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the next five years, there will be £428m programme of capital funding including a new Castle Rushen High School, refurbishment of the swimming pool at the National Sports Centre and construction of a new Liverpool landing stage for ferry services.

:o

2 hours ago, Yibble said:

This year's deficit £39m - next year's projected deficit £67m. Public Sector Employees Pension Reserve to be completely exhausted in four years time.

No problems?

Roll on four years time then. Then the wasters can start to live on £150/week like the rest of the pensioners who paid into the system..

33 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

What?! He's Jewish and wears a very large hat?

Here are two paragraphs from Wikipedia's entry on Benjamin Disraeli that allude to what I am talking about in comparing him with Alfred Cannan. Bold text emphasis added by me:

Although a Tory (or Conservative, as some in the party now called themselves) Disraeli was sympathetic to some of the aims of Chartism, and argued for an alliance between the landed aristocracy and the working class against the increasing power of the merchants and new industrialists in the middle class. After Disraeli won widespread acclaim in March 1842 for worsting the formidable Lord Palmerston in debate, he was taken up by a small group of idealistic new Tory MPs, with whom he formed the Young England group. They held that the landed interests should use their power to protect the poor from exploitation by middle-class businessmen.

For many years in his parliamentary career Disraeli hoped to forge a paternalistic Tory-Radical alliance, but he was unsuccessful. Before the Reform Act 1867, the working class did not possess the vote and therefore had little political power. Although Disraeli forged a personal friendship with John Bright, a Lancashire manufacturer and leading Radical, Disraeli was unable to persuade Bright to sacrifice his distinct position for parliamentary advancement. When Disraeli attempted to secure a Tory-Radical cabinet in 1852, Bright refused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

Any questions, let me know. :)

22 minutes ago, Please Elaborate said:

Here are two paragraphs from Wikipedia's entry on Benjamin Disraeli that allude to what I am talking about in comparing him with Alfred Cannan. Bold text emphasis added by me:

Any questions, let me know. :)

Please elaborate.

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Roll on four years time then. Then the wasters can start to live on £150/week like the rest of the pensioners who paid into the system..

I vote for that. At least the PS pensions and lump sums should be capped at £25k p/a in addition to the state pension. Simple as that. Nobody needs more. In reality it will be the last thing to suffer.

It's immoral to be cutting vital services to the most needy so that we can continue to pay some fat cats two or three times the average working wage for sitting on their well upholstered backsides doing nothing maybe for decades after a career of overpayment. Once retired, everyone's contribution to the economy is the same - at an end - so there is no justification for such largesse being bestowed on a privileged group.

It does seem to me that pensioners (old age, that is) get a very raw deal on the island. The UK old age pension is very low , see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/05/uk-state-pensions-ranked-worst-developed-world/ but is made up by a great many benefits whereas on the island there's a similar base pension to that in the UK but a much higher cost of living and nowhere near the same benefits. I saw that Alf in his budget speech seemed almost proud of the increase in your state pension even though it is below the increase in cost of living there making it a cut!

It's not for me to be impressed or unimpressed but overall ------.

Archived