Population Policy and yet more Thomas waffle

joebean

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

The new hospital was built with a projected population of 120,000 in mind I believe? It’s great that we have geared up to provide services to people who never came here. 

And in the case of the hospital we seem to have replaced the missing patient numbers with management jobs?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, emesde said:

"And now we know it is. 4th oldest population, apparently."

is this real or fake news ??

Over the last few years we have appeared at around number 11 or 12 in the world list ....how can we suddenly have jumped to no 4 unless a very high percentage of young people have suddenly left the Island, in which case there is an enormous problem to have suddenly caused this sort of result

I take pretty much anything they say as fake or agenda driven now.

Maybe they did their research during Reading/Leeds fest.

Or maybe they just let more old people in.

21 minutes ago, Lagman said:

I take pretty much anything they say as fake or agenda driven now.

Maybe they did their research during Reading/Leeds fest.

Or maybe they just let more old people in.

Positively encouraged the elderly here in the 70's now it's biting them in the arse.

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Positively encouraged the elderly here in the 70's now it's biting them in the arse.

Or going as planned, causing the problem to give them the excuse to keep upping the population.

5 minutes ago, MrPB said:

And the Manx elderly who have paid into the system all their lives seem to be even further back to the end of the queue too. 

Not just the elderly, how many have payed nothing in until they got here and get the same service?

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Yes I agree. We are now second class citizens in our own country. New workers arriving here get a 12 month NI break and their employer gets their relocation expenses paid. I’ve had sod all for 30 years except paying tax and NI at the full rate for almost nothing. I’m starting to feel like a right mug. 

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’ve had sod all for 30 years except paying tax and NI at the full rate for almost nothing

Not exactly correct, you've also had the toilet tax now.

1 hour ago, finlo said:

People who were elderly in the 70s are long dead!

9 hours ago, MrPB said:

The new hospital was built with a projected population of 120,000 in mind I believe? It’s great that we have geared up to provide services to people who never came here. 

if you include the health tourists 120k might be faily close.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:08 PM, emesde said:

"And now we know it is. 4th oldest population, apparently."

is this real or fake news ??

Over the last few years we have appeared at around number 11 or 12 in the world list ....how can we suddenly have jumped to no 4 unless a very high percentage of young people have suddenly left the Island, in which case there is an enormous problem to have suddenly caused this sort of result

The 11th or 12th is probably derived from the list of median ages, based on the 2016 Census (presumably after they discovered the missing children).  Listening to that clip of what Paul Craine said, he's actually referring to something slightly different, which is the proportion of those over 65 - and he's not really sure about that.  So there may not be any change.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:23 PM, finlo said:

Actually encouraging people to retire here was mainly a feature of the 70s, and as already pointed out, someone who retired here at 65 in 1974 would be 110 now.  Or not.  From the 80s onwards, however there was more effort in expanding the finance sector and attracting people over to work there.  This meant the average age dropped by quite a bit over the following decades.

Unfortunately recent governments seem have forgotten the fact that if you want people to come over here to live, you have to make it a nice place to live in.

And increasing bloated existence at that. It's clearly the policy for growing the population. Lots of the private sector struggles to attract people here. So Govt steps in, creates and gives people jobs. Keeps the economy afloat.

Yeah, that'll work. Er.....

What has this man ever achieved ?   He comes up with the weirdest of ideas, such as a leisure tax, he has said he has important matters in hand, such as rates review but nothing ever happens.   He is the biggest blogger in Tynwald and that is saying a lot.

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The 11th or 12th is probably derived from the list of median ages, based on the 2016 Census (presumably after they discovered the missing children).  Listening to that clip of what Paul Craine said, he's actually referring to something slightly different, which is the proportion of those over 65 - and he's not really sure about that.  So there may not be any change.

Actually encouraging people to retire here was mainly a feature of the 70s, and as already pointed out, someone who retired here at 65 in 1974 would be 110 now.  Or not.  From the 80s onwards, however there was more effort in expanding the finance sector and attracting people over to work there.  This meant the average age dropped by quite a bit over the following decades.

Unfortunately recent governments seem have forgotten the fact that if you want people to come over here to live, you have to make it a nice place to live in.

It is a nice place to live.

• 2 months later...

Archived