flybe/Eastern axe Belfast service?

Utah 01

Is this rumor or has the Island lost another air link? Eastern ratched up the prices, promised services that haven't materialised and taken the 'fat girl' for an absolute fool by promisisng the earth and delivering nothing apart from exorbitant prices.  Flybe's supposed merger with Eastern seems about to dissolve.  Are flybe themselves going to provide a service?  Easyjet's service is welcome but on a Friday and Monday only, it's hardly providing a link for regular business passengers and commuters.  And where is the Island's, Easyjet's and Northern Ireland's advertising campaign to promote this new service?  If the demise of a daily service to Northern Ireland is true, this epitomizes, yet again, the complete disaster that is air services under 'Open Skies'.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Is this rumor or has the Island lost another air link? Eastern ratched up the prices, promised services that haven't materialised and taken the 'fat girl' for an absolute fool by promisisng the earth and delivering nothing apart from exorbitant prices.  Flybe's supposed merger with Eastern seems about to dissolve.  Are flybe themselves going to provide a service?  Easyjet's service is welcome but on a Friday and Monday only, it's hardly providing a link for regular business passengers and commuters.  And where is the Island's, Easyjet's and Northern Ireland's advertising campaign to promote this new service?  If the demise of a daily service to Northern Ireland is true, this epitomizes, yet again, the complete disaster that is air services under 'Open Skies'.

No better than the sea links to Ireland. Virtually non existent. What the fuck has gone wrong ?

The Irish WERE a major boost to our tourism. 

Not now though. :o

(and we are the losers)

OK, then invite Ryan Air to use the Island as a hub to provide ALL our external links, ( tax breaks required ), they take us to a few English destinations, not Gloucester/ Bristol/ Birmingham with three airlines competing for a few pax.

Ryan offer us a link to their Euro destinations at a good price and we don't have to spend an hour on the internet finding the very best price for where we wish to end up.

Make it simple, we are not a massive market. let's accept that an settle for the best we can expect?

25 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

No better than the sea links to Ireland. Virtually non existent. What the fuck has gone wrong ?

The power's that be have endeavoured to make us as unappealing and as expensive to visit as possible.

1 minute ago, finlo said:
20 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The power's that be have endeavoured to make us as unappealing and as expensive to visit as possible.

but I can't understand why ?????

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Neither can I, but our once regular UK visitors no longer come here preferring a fortnights Sun for a lot less than a long weekend here.

And that's with no accommodation costs once here!

1 minute ago, finlo said:
8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Neither can I, but our once regular UK visitors no longer come here preferring a fortnights Sun for a lot less than a long weekend here.

And that's with no accommodation costs once here!

We have family in Ireland who would love to come here more often, but there just are no boats.

Air routes are just as bad and getting worse. I can't see what the problem is.

19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

We have family in Ireland who would love to come here more often, but there just are no boats.

Air routes are just as bad and getting worse. I can't see what the problem is.

I think the term you're looking for is "terminal decline" something I have been sadly witnessing for the last 20 or so years.

30 minutes ago, finlo said:

They're just making us "exclusive". It's part of the masterplan. It's just that the proles can't see it.

I've missed two family funerals due to the erratic and expensive Irish services. They don't hang about over there before getting them in the ground. 

Many people I know fly to Manchester by Easyjet and then on to Belfast. Dilli is right, Ireland was a once fertile place for attracting tourists, not any more!

49 minutes ago, Kopek said:

OK, then invite Ryan Air to use the Island as a hub to provide ALL our external links, ( tax breaks required ), they take us to a few English destinations, not Gloucester/ Bristol/ Birmingham with three airlines competing for a few pax.

Ryan offer us a link to their Euro destinations at a good price and we don't have to spend an hour on the internet finding the very best price for where we wish to end up.

Make it simple, we are not a massive market. let's accept that an settle for the best we can expect?

well it worked offering a monopoly on the boats....

#oh

I’m not quite sure why anyone is surprised that Eastern may stop the NI service.

In allowing carrier with a large plane to hoover up a significant number of passengers at peak times twice a week, there are insufficient customers remaining to make it viable for a regular service using smaller planes.

Open Skies in a nutshell.

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

The company that can't even plan staff leave, who's crews are said to be queuing to get out and who charge for absolutely everything above and beyond a seat on the plane? Oh yes, and annoy the hell out of me with ridiculous announcements about scratch cards and other shite throughout the flight.

No thanks.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ryanair-pilots-insight/three-months-that-shook-ryanair-how-cancellations-sparked-a-pilot-revolt-idUSKBN1EE2D1

Archived