flybe/Eastern axe Belfast service?

Utah 01

14 minutes ago, pongo said:

Do you believe transporting containers by aircraft is likely to ever be realistically less costly than bringing them in by sea?

Possibly when looking at the SPCO freight charges .................. LOL  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

What cargo is so urgent that it has to be air freighted?

Seafood exports from IoM via UK to Spain and Italy. Anything going via DHL or Send my Bag. Post Office Parcels and letters, urgent motor parts etc in the day and age of JiT.

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That would probably be the most expensive seafood exports in history.

But they do it with scallops, queenies and lobsters and whelks. 

You can buy Manx Scallops at the Fish Market in Venice, by the Rialto, or the Boqueria on the Ramblas, in Barcelona, the day after they are landed in Port St Mary.

90% of what’s landed in those categories is exported and worth about £20 million to the Manx economy  

Like I said I was only going off what I was told, that they were having discussions about the IoM as a destination from there. I don't know whether those discussions will come to anything but other markets were going to be tested as well as a potential passenger option.  

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But they do it with scallops, queenies and lobsters and whelks. 

You can buy Manx Scallops at the Fish Market in Venice, by the Rialto, or the Boqueria on the Ramblas, in Barcelona, the day after they are landed in Port St Mary.

90% of what’s landed in those categories is exported and worth about £20 million to the Manx economy  

Wow..... 2,500T/pa?? By air to the UK?

56 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Wow..... 2,500T/pa?? By air to the UK?

Didn’t say that it was all airfreighted. I’ve seen it being loaded. Clearly some will be frozen, or processed and vacuum packed here.

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I believe Flybe are coming back and opening up a base on the island again. Can only be good news, can't it?

Kinhell Lxxx IOM Newspapers announced this a month ago. Been on hols?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=41224&headline=Flybe to re-establish Ronaldsway base&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

Doh! I actually have been on hols, must have missed it. Was it discussed on here? I believe Flybe have been looking at IOM - Southend route to get a London airport back on the radar. I suppose that's already been discussed somewhere too!

48 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Doh! I actually have been on hols, must have missed it. Was it discussed on here? I believe Flybe have been looking at IOM - Southend route to get a London airport back on the radar. I suppose that's already been discussed somewhere too!

Flybe are also taking back the franchise on IoM  Liverpool etc from Stobart Air

It does end yes. Stobart allegedly offered Flybe better terms to maintain it but they're determined to retain all their old routes and set up a base here. There may or may not have been a sweetener in the deal in the form of the health service contract involved. As part of a co-ordinated strategy to tie in with the Steam Packet purchase so we retain some form of control over our transport links again. Apparently.

Archived