Nobles hospital

Nomadic Raptor

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, wrighty said:

7=3+5, and ‘bank statement’? That response should have been proof-read. 

My god...I’ll say it should. It’s disgracefully unprofessional. The head of the “Freedom of Information Team” (rolls eyes) should by now have had a soundly kicked arse.

Edited to add...

And we can now also see what a dog’s breakfast MR made of their “story” in attempting, and signally failing, to convey that information and the questions that prompted it. This whole episode illustrates the sorry state of MR and the administrative capabilities of DHSC.

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

My god...I’ll say it should. It’s disgracefully unprofessional. The head of the “Freedom of Information Team” (rolls eyes) should by now have had a soundly kicked arse.

Edited to add...

And we can now also see what a dog’s breakfast MR made of their “story” in attempting, and signally failing, to convey that information and the questions that prompted it. This whole episode illustrates the sorry state of MR and the administrative capabilities of DHSC.

But in reality it is the failing of only two people, as I see it. The typist who wrote the reply and the admin bod who wrote the news item.

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But in reality it is the failing of only two people, as I see it. The typist who wrote the reply and the admin bod who wrote the news item.

Since they appear to have been 100% of the active players in this drama I mark that down as a total failure. Unusual? Not in the least.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:
10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Since they appear to have been 100% of the active players in this drama I mark that down as a total failure. Unusual? Not in the least.

Er, that was my point. Two people make mistakes and the whole DHSC and Manx Radio in entirety are blamed for everything. Not fair at all.

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I honestly don’t know where this rubbish comes from. Just seven consultants? Utter nonsense. I’ll give a rough breakdown of who is in the hospital if that’d be helpful.

Medicine - there are 8 consultant posts, with plans for more. Of those 8, 5 have been  in post for more than 5 years, 2 are recentish appointments to cover a retirement, and 1 is a locum. 

Orthopaedics - 4 consultant posts, last of us appointed in 2011 to replace a retirement. 

Anaesthetics - 13 consultant posts, about 7 have been here longer than 5 years. The rest have been appointed to expand the department. When I started in 2005 there were only 6. 

Surgery - 4 posts - 3 substantive, 1 locum. Some changes recently with Mr Tebala leaving (note the spelling there with an ‘e’). Reasons for his leaving are multi-factorial. At one point he was part of the management so if that is being blamed for his leaving it’s a little self-defeating. 

Surgical specialties - 9 posts, 8 currently substantive of which 5 have been here for 5 years or more. 

Paediatrics - 3 posts, all been here for more than a decade

Obs and Gynae - 4 posts, 2 have been here for a decade or more

Pathology - 2 posts, both here for years

Radiology - 5 posts, 3 substantive

ED - 3 posts, 2 substantive, all recent appointments which given workforce conditions in the UK is a triumph in itself  

So that’s about it. 56 posts, most filled with substantive consultants, most long term. There are recruitment difficulties in some areas, but this is not a Noble’s problem particularly as it’s the same, in radiology say, across the UK. 

How very dare you to come on here destroying threads with facts Wrighty! I should have been able to answer the question myself since I seem to have met just about every consultant just recently! 

How on earth do the two people in pathology cover all the blood tests that seem to be done daily around the island? Or am I being stupid, as usual?

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

How very dare you to come on here destroying threads with facts Wrighty! I should have been able to answer the question myself since I seem to have met just about every consultant just recently! 

How on earth do the two people in pathology cover all the blood tests that seem to be done daily around the island? Or am I being stupid, as usual?

I doubt that the consultants do all the checks

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Consultant pathologists report on histology slides and do post-mortem examinations, amongst other things. There are several technicians to process blood samples etc. 

There is a consultant microbiologist too - should have listed 3 in pathology. He deals with advice on infection control, antibiotic usage etc. 

Maybe it would be good if there could be a flow of reliable information coming out to chart what resources we do have here and the good work that is done at Nobles. Wrighty has done the job on here tonight, but how many people will see it compared to the number who will take in the Manx Radio report which is clearly nonsense, and the poison that drips from social media in general hour by hour? Not enough is done to counter the negative and the view just takes hold in the population that the hospital is in the mire and to be avoided. If unchallenged it goes by default.

Perhaps if Stu sees the thread he can urge MR to issue a grovelling retraction of their meaningless report. As for the full time press officer, how are you fixed for some PR overtime, Wrighty?

Obviously things will always go wrong and naturally people are always going to die in hospital - you go there when you are seriously ill after all. I think the main problems they have that could be easily fixed are the appointments system (some real howlers here and have been for a long time) and communication in general.

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I don't thinkJoe Public is as daft as some on here seem to think.

I'm sure most can disseminate the info they receive and work out what is happening.

Yes, they’ll probably assume that quite a few people who work in Admin at the hospital aren’t that good at what they do and nobody wants to work with them? 

22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I don't thinkJoe Public is as daft as some on here seem to think.

I'm sure most can disseminate the info they receive and work out what is happening.

Sorry to piss on your chips but the majority of the public are as thick as shit!

26 minutes ago, finlo said:

Sorry to piss on your chips but the majority of the public are as thick as shit!

Look at who they elect every 4 years...

Archived