Nobles hospital

Nomadic Raptor

I was reading this morning at nobles hospital now only has 7 consultants.  Does anyone know what those consultants are in?  

I have to say this island is going down hill so so fast and as a “young person” I worry about the 5hit hole we are going to inherit from our current leaders.  

i can’t remember exactly so excuse me but I heard that in uk if you had a heart attack you have a 70-80% chance of surviving but on this island “a world leader” it’s more like 50-60% ( I know my figures are wrong but you know what I mean).

the infrastructure is crap....have you seen the state of the roads, schools are going down hill as the same quality isn’t there, as classes and schools get mixed.  

Its not a case that the island population is booming.

but as long as those farmers at the top who are only interested in themselves are ok then it’s fine.  Super rich don’t need to worry as if they need anything they will just go off island.

the rest of us.....sorry guys we are 5ucked

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.gov.im/categories/health-and-wellbeing/hospitals-and-emergency-treatment/nobles-hospital/consultants-list-and-team-contacts/

Here you are. There seem to be a lot more than seven, if the figures are up to date and going by the convention that consultants are known by Mr/Mrs/Ms rather than Dr. I make it 21.

Can you link to the thing you were reading that states that there are 7?

There used to be some 40 odd consultants in Nobles, so given the Manx Radio FOI request states some 36 have left in the last 5 years, the claim that only 7 remain could be correct if they are referring to the 'original' total. However, it would have helped if the article had stated how many full time employed consultants and many locums there are currently employed

Nevertheless, by any measure Nobles is in a mess. Arguably, the most recent downward slide started when Quayle took the helm in 2014 and first appointed Mark Charters as CEO. They cleared out a number of 'seasoned personnel' who Quayle did not like or who he had been told by COMIN were useless and replaced them with 'friends from across' or 'wannabees' from other parts of the Manx public sector who believed running health services is easy.

Such individuals quickly found working in health care, is an art, not a science. Regrettably health still has an abundance of clinical egos that clash with each other with the poor patient sitting in the middle as the recipient of services that if straightforward and easy are, often after a long wait, carried out locally, or if more complex, are shipped across to the UK NHS. Added to which byzantine  policies and procedures are rarely reviewed as they allow circumvention by certain clinicians who can offer services privately to those that can afford to pay.

As to the rest of the public sector we citizens are but the recipients of inept politicians and ineffectual senior civil servants, few of whom properly understand the workings of the Department they are in. As the CEO's tenure is partly at the behest of the respective Minister who is legally accountable for their Department, the CEO's generally do what the Minister says. Anyone that shows any talent, innovation or entrepreneurial tendencies have these actively suppressed and consequently such individuals 'up sticks' and go elsewhere. But are we any different to other nations ?

36 minutes ago, guzzi said:

https://www.gov.im/categories/health-and-wellbeing/hospitals-and-emergency-treatment/nobles-hospital/consultants-list-and-team-contacts/

Here you are. There seem to be a lot more than seven, if the figures are up to date and going by the convention that consultants are known by Mr/Mrs/Ms rather than Dr. I make it 21.

Can you link to the thing you were reading that states that there are 7?

The Dr/Mr thing is nothing to do with consultant status. It’s to do with historic divisions in medicine. Surgeons operated, cut people up, amputated. They weren’t medically qualified, they were barbers, barber surgeons. So they weren’t entitled to the title of Dr. The titular distinction remains. 

The press report is clearly wrong. There are more than 7. Maybe they meant only 7 left of the ones employed 5 years ago. But those departing have been replaced or there are locums, or recruitment is ongoing.

Ive seen 5 different consultants at Nobles in the last 12 months.

I remember t' days when Noble's Hospital were at Westmoreland Road.  There were room for 3 cars in t' staff car park so we had to take it in turns parking.  You could walk into town for a few pints at t' British at lunchtime and be back in time do a full afternoon's theatre list.  Cockroaches in t' kitchen were something else, go in there at night wi' t' light off and you'd think you were walking on eggshells.  Aye, them were happy days.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The information has probably come from this report.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/consultants-leaving-nobles/

Were any of them encouraged to leave following the management shake out? There had been plenty of murmurings of work not up to standard in some areas so we can't claim bad news both ways. Can't moan about how awful it is that we have people doing poor work in our hospital and also moan about how awful it is that they've left.

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

Tabala saved my life. 

He did the same for a close relative of mine. And in the least intrusive way possible, procedure in the morning and discharged by 2pm. Would have been in the gym by 7pm if I hadn't put my foot down to forbid it. He is a massive loss to the Island.

A very similar procedure under the previous chap 4 years earlier had been open surgery, intensive care and a fortnight in hospital. Not ungrateful for that at the time, but my goodness, the experiences were light years apart.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Tabala saved my life. 

Can't claim that but found him helpful and professional  when I saw him  ( privately as was advised that there was a considerable wait for a NHS endoscopy).

He was a bargain compared to the chap who did the biopsy report .

3 hours ago, woolley said:

Shame that Mr Tebala left.

https://www.acpgbi.org.uk/patients/surgeon-directory/giovanni-tebala/

Real cutting edge advanced surgeon and no pun intended.

http://www.bowelsurgery.im/about-me

His departure is close to disastrous - and I only learned of it very recently. He was outstanding in his clinical services/skills to three of my closest friends. I’m aware of  at least one senior Consultant anaesthetist at Nobles who openly says that Tabala is the best surgeon they’ve ever worked with. 

6 hours ago, Galen said:

There used to be some 40 odd consultants in Nobles, so given the Manx Radio FOI request states some 36 have left in the last 5 years, the claim that only 7 remain could be correct if they are referring to the 'original' total. However, it would have helped if the article had stated how many full time employed consultants and many locums there are currently employed

Nevertheless, by any measure Nobles is in a mess. Arguably, the most recent downward slide started when Quayle took the helm in 2014 and first appointed Mark Charters as CEO. They cleared out a number of 'seasoned personnel' who Quayle did not like or who he had been told by COMIN were useless and replaced them with 'friends from across' or 'wannabees' from other parts of the Manx public sector who believed running health services is easy.

Such individuals quickly found working in health care, is an art, not a science. Regrettably health still has an abundance of clinical egos that clash with each other with the poor patient sitting in the middle as the recipient of services that if straightforward and easy are, often after a long wait, carried out locally, or if more complex, are shipped across to the UK NHS. Added to which byzantine  policies and procedures are rarely reviewed as they allow circumvention by certain clinicians who can offer services privately to those that can afford to pay.

As to the rest of the public sector we citizens are but the recipients of inept politicians and ineffectual senior civil servants, few of whom properly understand the workings of the Department they are in. As the CEO's tenure is partly at the behest of the respective Minister who is legally accountable for their Department, the CEO's generally do what the Minister says. Anyone that shows any talent, innovation or entrepreneurial tendencies have these actively suppressed and consequently such individuals 'up sticks' and go elsewhere. But are we any different to other nations ?

(All) These sentiments are precisely what I’ve heard from many Nobles nurses. 

36 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

His departure is close to disastrous - and I only learned of it very recently. He was outstanding in his clinical services/skills to three of my closest friends. I’m aware of  at least one senior Consultant anaesthetist at Nobles who openly says that Tabala is the best surgeon they’ve ever worked with. 

Any information as to the cause of his departure? We seem to be losing what notable quality we have what with this and Ms Bello?

Archived